Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal - right or wrong way to run the club?

Do Arsenal do it the right way regarding their finances?

• Yes - they remain responsible, and in profit. Good on them.

Votes: 76 87.4%
  • No - they need to spend "market rates" and challenge for the title.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Don't care, and haven't cared sinced they left Woolwich. They are no better than the MK Dons.

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
When we look at Glasgow Rangers in liquidation, and the phoenix club in the bottom division, while Portsmouth are sailing incredibly close to the wind themselves, the majority of people (me included) slate them for their irresponsible attitude to finaances, wages, transfer policy etc.

Yet, when Arsenal adhere to a strict, and clearly affordable wage structure, post profits every year as they pay of the debt of building their new stadium. Buy cheap, and sell at premium prices, when their players wage demands reach what they consider to be excessive and unsustainable, the majority of football slates them for it.

Well, what is the view of NSC?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When we look at Glasgow Rangers in liquidation, and the phoenix club in the bottom division, while Portsmouth are sailing incredibly close to the wind themselves, the majority of people (me included) slate them for their irresponsible attitude to finaances, wages, transfer policy etc.

Yet, when Arsenal adhere to a strict, and clearly affordable wage structure, post profits every year as they pay of the debt of building their new stadium. Buy cheap, and sell at premium prices, when their players wage demands reach what they consider to be excessive and unsustainable, the majority of football slates them for it.

Well, what is the view of NSC?

Then the majority of football are idiots then, is my view.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Id be delighted if my club was run that way until all debts were paid off.

When the new fair play rules kick in, and if they are enforced properly, surely Arsenal will be sitting pretty to dominate ?

Depends what they want to achieve.

If it's a maximum return for their shareholders they're probably doing the right thing.

If its glory and silverware then they probably aren't.

Actually they probably will get the odd bit of glory and silverware but they are unlikely to dominate. But at least they won't go bust.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The criticism of Arsenal often starts from their own fans sadly... To be honest, RvP is not worth a £200k p/w 4-year contract in my opinion and Arsenal were right not to pay it. Plus, they have signed 3 proven players this summer already in Podolskli, Giroud and Cazorla, all of which cost reasonable transfer fees for their quality (Cazorla is ludicrously cheap at £12m considering Fletcher of Wolves is supposedly valued at £3m more).

I understand why Arsenal fans can be frustrated at the lack of on field success, but I imagine they wouldn't be too happy if they posted Chelsea-, Man United- and Man City-eque losses every season either. As owners often find out, you can't win!

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Whilst I admire Arsenal trying to run the club properly in the face of everyone else in football at the moment if I was an Arsenal season ticket holder, paying the highest prices in England and seeing the star player leave at the beginning of every season and not winning anything I'd start to get a little pissed off at the situation.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm so pleased I did this poll, as it's restoring my faith in the intelligence of the football fans - here at least. I can't believe the amount of stick Arsenal get for the way the run their affairs, even after we've seen a string of clubs collapse when they haven't acted so sensibly. And as has been said by JBizzle, it regularly starts with Arsenal fans, who seem to want to see their club become the next Leeds.

#FaithBeingRestored

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
Defnitely the right way to run a club and I don't see it as neccessarily being a barrier to winning trophies either.
I hope that the fair play rules are administered properly and that Aresenal are able to get over their current "psychological" barrier too which also isn't doing them any favours.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Whilst I admire Arsenal trying to run the club properly in the face of everyone else in football at the moment if I was an Arsenal season ticket holder, paying the highest prices in England and seeing the star player leave at the beginning of every season and not winning anything I'd start to get a little pissed off at the situation.

This is the biggest criticism

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
They are a model club that I am pleased to say we are doing a very good job at emulating with our attractive football, smart stadium and a responsible and community oriented business model :D

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This is the biggest criticism

It is, but what option do they have? Cripple the club financially to win a few pots?

Arsenal are now in the same boat as everyone else - they cannot realistically compete. They are far more competitive than most, but not competitive enough. If their moaning "supporters" want regular success, they will have to go and support Chelsea, Man U or Man City. This will not change until Chelsea, Man U or Man City implode, they bugger off to some European super league or the fair play rules actually work and salaries are driven down.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I hope that an air of decency, even if it's half-fabricated to create the false icon of an "honest football club", will prevail in the longterm, abetted by the financial fair play rulings. For Arsenal to keep selling their finest assets first bought cheaply, then of course they have had to find the right emerging stars at an early age. Talent seems to have dried up a little in the past few years, so the loss of Nasri and Fabs and now RVP has meant no sublime replacements appearing. I suppose most clubs are going through that, so picking up those players slightly on the rise who are already pretty much in their prime means a slightly different tactic until a new pool of potential superstars is borne.
Arsenal and Wenger just need to manage expectations as best they can, whilst remaining "competitive". Gus needs to do the same.
Fools from a distance want monstrous reward year on year for the seconds they invest, whilst romantic pragmatists should remain proud of an empire slowly and assuredly built that they're attached to for life.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Anyone that thinks Arsenal are not run the right way is a fool. Once the stadium debt is clear, they'll be debt free (I believe). They will generate more than enough cash to compete with the clubs that don't have billionaire owners as I think I read they have the second highest match day income behind United. It's a waiting game for them but their fans are impatient. Without a trophy for 7 years and the highest season tickets in England, I think they've a right to demand a little success.

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
As much as I dispise Arsene Wenger, as well as some of their current and previous players and a large number of their fans, the way Arsenal are being run is most definitely the correct way to run a club.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Arsenal are run "the right way," but unfortunately that means the highest ticket prices in the country. Is that a route we want the Albion to go down?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Although they haven't won anything in a while, if you look at the teams constantly finishing above them Arsenal seem much, much more stable and a good bet in terms of long term survival. They don't dominate, but they don't dip very low either and they're keeping their finances stable. Some clubs could learn a lesson I say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here