Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus: Will we see Vicente at training?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gus: "Of course. Why not?"

That, coupled with his slightly disappointed/annoyed sound tone in other parts of the interview, for me suggests it is 100% the agent.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why blame the agent? I'm no fan of agencies in any form, but lets be fair - Vicente has his own mind, will be well aware what the club's medical staff have done for him, and should also realise that he was on the scrap heap this time a year ago.

He has it in his power to simply sign the deal, and he doesn't owe his agent anything. Vicente has gone down in my estimations over this I'm afraid.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why blame the agent? I'm no fan of agencies in any form, but lets be fair - Vicente has his own mind, will be well aware what the club's medical staff have done for him, and should also realise that he was on the scrap heap this time a year ago.

He has it in his power to simply sign the deal, and he doesn't owe his agent anything. Vicente has gone down in my estimations over this I'm afraid.

But what if (quite likely) Vicente has said "Yup, I'll sign, now you (the agent) deal with it." and the agent's being a dick? Quite possible. Vicente has been pretty busy over the last few days as well with personal stuff, so probably hasn't been getting deeply involved in contract negotiations.

Sadly not true. Some, probably many, if not most players have binding agreements with their agents that all contract negotiations go through them alone.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Have you ever been on a jury?

Your ability to make a decision without ANY facts being presented to you is BRILLIANT.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sadly not true. Some, probably many, if not most players have binding agreements with their agents that all contract negotiations go through them alone.

Yup would've definitely assumed this.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Vicente has gone down in my estimations over this I'm afraid.

You raise some valid points as ever Simster but what if Vicente simply had some family commitments that he needed to tend to and he couldn't fly back to resign before his current contract expired. Hence the reason for the club excersing the extension to make sure nobody pinched him in the grey area between the expired contract and the flight back to sign a new one?

If that was the case, would your opinion of Vicente be restored? Just interested like.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Surprised you think less of him now. He's at home with his family and hasn't said anything at all in public about this situation. If he doesn't return as and when Gus expects him too then maybe criticise, but for now there's just not enough info known to start tarnishing people's reputations

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Your ability to make a decision without ANY facts being presented to you is BRILLIANT.
Eh? I haven't actually MADE a decision. And you could say that about ANYONE expressing any sort of opinion, including [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] on this thread. He seems to have decided it sounds like it 100% the agent's fault based on one spurious newspaper quote by Gus. Which is fair enough, but he's doing nothing different to me is he?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Seems to be the norm. When I did jury service, one of my fellow jurors was all for finding the defendant guilty because he'd given him a dirty look when they passed each other on the steps of the court. Fotunately the judge threw the case out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You raise some valid points as ever Simster but what if Vicente simply had some family commitments that he needed to tend to and he couldn't fly back to resign before his current contract expired. Hence the reason for the club excersing the extension to make sure nobody pinched him in the grey area between the expired contract and the flight back to sign a new one?

If that was the case, would your opinion of Vicente be restored? Just interested like.
Yes, it would. I'd have hoped for some clarity on the situation by now, and it is this lack of clarity that put at the door of Vicente. I know he's a great player, I know I'd probably forgive him in a heartbeat when he just did his thing on the first day of the season, but right now he's disappointed me. Same as Calderon did when it seemed he was moving to Southampton.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Seems to be the norm. When I did jury service, one of my fellow jurors was all for finding the defendant guilty because he'd given him a dirty look when they passed each other on the steps of the court. Fotunately the judge threw the case out.

Completely seperate topic, but it is worrying how easily jurors can be swayed by things like that and. having one over powering juror that can talk people round to their way of thinking so quickly

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Eh? I haven't actually MADE a decision. And you could say that about ANYONE expressing any sort of opinion, including [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] on this thread. He seems to have decided it sounds like it 100% the agent's fault based on one spurious newspaper quote by Gus. Which is fair enough, but he's doing nothing different to me is he?

It's completely different. Mellotron guessing what the situation may be.

You are stating that Vicente HAS gone down in your estimations, despite not knowing his role AT ALL. You've made a character judgement based on nothing the character has done, or said, or is reported to have done or said.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yes, it would. I'd have hoped for some clarity on the situation by now, and it is this lack of clarity that put at the door of Vicente. I know he's a great player, I know I'd probably forgive him in a heartbeat when he just did his thing on the first day of the season, but right now he's disappointed me. Same as Calderon did when it seemed he was moving to Southampton.

Fair enough :thumbsup:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Aren't extension options usually at improved wages though? I'm presuming we were/are trying to sign him for another 2 years, and possibly with the first year at reduced wages compared to the extension option (though probably with more in terms of appearance/promotion bonuses).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Fair point.

I think it's harsh to lower your opinion of Vicente though without ANY knowledge of his input (or lack of) in this situation, whereas I could not lower my opinion of agents any lower so cannot be accused of doing so.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I think that's fair enough. I mean, you're giving of your time as a public-spirited citizen. The last thing you need is some CLEAR VILLAIN trying to stare you out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's completely different. Mellotron guessing what the situation may be.

You are stating that Vicente HAS gone down in your estimations, despite not knowing his role AT ALL. You've made a character judgement based on nothing the character has done, or said, or is reported to have done or said.
You really are clutching at straws, and it sounds absurd. Mellotron's suspicion is that the agent is to blame, mine is that Vicente is. The rest is just flannel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here