Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus letter, what a lot of BOLLOXS

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Violating the Argus's copyright because it'll be gone tomorrow morning:

Letter: Ask the students to decide Falmer site

Having read the article about the proposed Falmer football stadium, I take issue with the claim it is "supported by virtually everyone in the county" (The Argus, December 2).

Firstly, I doubt if many football-supporting men - less than half the population to start with - in this part of West Sussex are concerned. Most seem to support Portsmouth rather than Brighton and Hove Albion.

Secondly, the three brave MPs quoted each obtained only between 35 and 39 per cent of the vote in their respective seats in the last General Election and can't, therefore, claim to speak for the majority of their constituents.

And many of those would have voted for the pro-conservation Green Party.

Given the threats by Albion supporters to vote en-masse against them, perhaps MPs Barlow, Lepper and Turner have decided it serves their electoral interests to keep these vocal lobbyists in the Labour camp by

campaigning on their behalf - and by orchestrating a Commons' Early-Day Motion in support of the proposed stadium.

Also to be condemned is their ill-tempered attack on Lewes District Council for deciding to challenge John Prescott's legally-dubious decision in favour of the stadium.

At least half the proposed stadium site lies within Lewes district (as does Falmer village), so the district council most certainly has locus standi to challenge a decision which arguably breaks EU, if not UK, environmental protection law.

This decision was evidently reached after a most disgraceful - not to say, intimidatory - lobbying campaign by Albion supporters.

What other private organisation, having sold off its property at a loss, should then be allowed to help itself to previously publicly- accessible land (bordering a proposed national park in one of the most important landscapes in England), for reasons essentially of its own profit?

As I understand the site is owned by Brighton University, perhaps its graduate members - many of whom, I imagine, would support Greenpeace or the Green Party - should be allowed to vote on the sale.

-P Carder, Campaign for the Protection of Rural England, Arun District

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
once again....the "they sold their ground" line. these people just embarrass themselves with their lack of factual information and they make me want to grab them by the throat and shake the living shit out of them, but of course then my brain takes over and stops me hence....stress GGGGGGGGGRRRRRR:angry:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
MYOB said:

This decision was evidently reached after a most disgraceful - not to say, intimidatory - lobbying campaign by Albion supporters.

Would anyone like to tell me how this campaign was anything other than peaceful with a democratic decision resulting from it?!??? what a tosser :angry:

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
No, no, no, no and most emphatically, no.

Cock. People whose arguments have such little foundation in fact and reality only merit contempt.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
bailey said:
There's locusts standing in Falmer!

Don't worry, the bats will deal with them.

bat.jpg

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Go on,you know it makes sense.

Let the students decide.

" Errr...I'll have a lime and lemonade ,please.No,no,a lager shandy.Eh?No,just a half til my dad sends me some money.Oh ,yours has.OK,I'llHave a brandy and benedictine with a pint of Harveys.ER,no............no little umbrella on a stick........Oh,go on then,twist my arm.Or was that leg.

Oh.Falmer?Is that where we are."

Snorting sounds. Goodnight.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
withdeanwombat said:
Go on,you know it makes sense.

Let the students decide.

" Errr...I'll have a lime and lemonade ,please.No,no,a lager shandy.Eh?No,just a half til my dad sends me some money.Oh ,yours has.OK,I'llHave a brandy and benedictine with a pint of Harveys.ER,no............no little umbrella on a stick........Oh,go on then,twist my arm.Or was that leg.

Oh.Falmer?Is that where we are."

Snorting sounds. Goodnight.

Except it doesn't actually say that the current students should have any say.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
MYOB said:

As I understand the site is owned by Brighton University,
-P Carder, Campaign for the Protection of Rural England, Arun District

You understand nothing you numpty.
It is owned by Brighton & Hove Council.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
MYOB said:
Could you remove my name from that quote please, replace it with "NIMBY Numpty" maybe... :wave:

I was quoting your post which why I left the 'P Carder' line in.
I don't think anyone would read it as being said by you.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yorkie said:
I was quoting your post which why I left the 'P Carder' line in.
I don't think anyone would read it as being said by you.

Its happened before, Google makes results look screwed up sometimes, just noticed someone else has done it too... never mind...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
MYOB said:
As I understand the site is owned by Brighton University, perhaps its graduate members - many of whom, I imagine, would support Greenpeace or the Green Party - should be allowed to vote on the sale.

Ooh, thats me, I'm a Brighton Uni grad.
Let me just think about this for a moment, do I support Greenpeace or the Green party? Err umm; NO!
I support Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club !!!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
The guy is a delusional cock. He contradicts himself anyway. If most of the blokes in the area support Portsmouth, why did the 3 MPs feel under pressure from Brighton fans to make a statement condemning the LDC appeal? If there are hardly any Brighton fans in the area, where can the pressure have come from?

Next, he doesn't like the fact that the MPs claim to be representing the majority when they only got between 35-39% of the votes! Basically, he wants to change the way representational voting is carried out until it supplies him with people that think like him! His only hope is to offer the vote to students on the offchance that they will be potential Green Party supporters...what planet is this guy on.

The only complaint most of these tossers have is that it will affect their house prices, and the snobbery value of claiming to live in a University village. Not quite the same ring as living near a lower-class community Football Stadium!

Anyway, rebuttal letter sent to the Argus pointing out his mistakes. They probably won't print it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here