Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus Latest - They read it first on NSC... Now read what they've said

Tonight's optimistic stories from The Argus:-

Change of government minister 'shouldn't delay Falmer decision'
By Andy Tate

The government minister tasked with settling the fate of the Falmer Stadium was today moved to a different job just days before she was due to make her final decision.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown shunted Ruth Kelly, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, to the Department of Transport, and named former Labour Party Chairwoman Hazel Blears as her successor.

Whitehall sources said the move was not expected to delay the decision on Brighton and Hove Albion's plans, which is due on or before June 9.

Albion chief executive Martin Perry said: "Although it is a bit early to say with any certainty, I am sure the appointment of Hazel Blears will not have any dramatic impact on the decision date.

"In addition, once she sees the strength of evidence we have provided in our submissions, I am confident she will deliver a positive decision."

Paul Samrah, chairman of supporters' campaign Falmer For All, said he believed a decision had already been taken and Ms Blears simply had to be "briefed and brought up to speed" before it was published in her name.

He said he was "very optimistic" about getting a positive decision.

Mr Samrah said: "We would hope all the lobbying there has been and the incredible support the campaign has had will get through to her.

"I'm sure Ruth Kelly, in any handover, would have explained the strength of feeling.

"Hazel Blears will be completely aware of the issues, the three Parliamentary seats at stake, and the thousands of people who would be affected by the decision."

David Lepper, Labour MP for Brighton Pavilion, said: "I'm sure Hazel Blears will be well advised by the civil servants and planning officer who has been considering this.

"I don't believe a change of Secretary of State is likely to mean any delay in timetable currently set. She well understands the importance of keeping with that timetable, so I don't see it presenting us with any new obstacles."

Mr Brown, who dished out his first Government jobs since taking over from Tony Blair on Wednesday, gave promotions to two graduates of the University of Sussex.

He moved Peter Hain from the Northern Ireland Office to become Secretary of State for Work and Pensions and Hilary Benn, former International Development Secretary, was elevated to Environment Secretary.

Housing Minister Yvette Cooper, who earlier this month branded the South East England Regional Assembly "bonkers" for not pledging to build more new homes, kept her job, but will now be invited to attend cabinet in a beefed-up role.

Falmer optimism after national park site announcement
By Simon Barrett

Albion's proposed stadium at Falmer came a step closer today after a Government inspector recommended the site be excluded from the proposed South Downs National Park.

A leaked report into the public inquiry on the issue, seen by The Argus, recommends both the stadium site and the planned coach park are not included within the boundary of the national park.

If approved, the move to stop the boundary at Village Way means the proposed site will also be stripped of its status as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) - leaving the path clear for the 22,000 seat arena.

Opponents to the scheme, including Lewes District Council and Falmer Parish Council, have vociferously objected to the Falmer site -using its AONB status as a central pillar of their argument.

The news has been met with delight by supporters of the stadium and delivered a body blow to opponents of the scheme, just days before the Government's final decision is expected.

In a further boost for Falmer, the inspector also recommends Toads Hole Valley is included in the national park, and that the proposed boundary be moved to include the eastern flank of Sheepcote Valley.

Both sites have been championed by Lewes District Council as alternatives to Falmer, but have long been dismissed by the club and Brighton and Hove City Council.

Paul Samrah, chairman of the Falmer For All campaign, said: "This is fantastic news. I am delighted in one respect, but also disgusted that Lewes District Council has spent so much money and wasted so much time fighting the stadium.

"What is especially encouraging is that the inspector said he would have moved the boundary regardless of the stadium. It is a ploughed field surrounded by a road, a train track and buildings - not an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

"I feel genuinely sorry for the Lewes taxpayers who have seen more than £200,000 of their money squandered fighting something the vast majority of people in Sussex want.

"I would not put anything past Lewes council, but this seriously reduces their options to object again and the pressure is really mounting on them.

"If they were now to argue that Falmer was inappropriate because the stadium would be immediately adjacent to the national park, the same arguments would apply at Sheepcote Valley."

The leaked report is set to be published on Monday by the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

The news represents another piece in the jigsaw for the Falmer stadium, and has given Albion fans renewed optimism ahead of the decision.

Albion chief executive Martin Perry said: "Clearly, if this report is correct, it totally vindicates our long-standing position. We have always maintained the Falmer site has no special merit and it would be de-designated once the boundaries for the national park were established.

"We also argued that Toads Hole Valley did have special merit, so if the report is confirmed it will prove that our original assessment was absolutely correct."

Earlier this week The Argus revealed that the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) was to re-open the file on the proposed South Downs National Park.

The new protected zone will cover swathes of Sussex and Hampshire and the initial plans could be extended by a further 25sq km in Arun, Adur, Chichester, Horsham, Lewes, Mid Sussex, Wealden, Eastbourne and Worthing.

Incoming communities secretary Hazel Blears is expected to deliver her decision on Falmer on or before July 9.

The original decision to grant permission, made by John Prescott in October 2005, was quashed in the High Court after it was revealed he had made a mistake in the wording of the document.

No one from Lewes District Council was yesterday available for comment.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Falmer is in the bag.Might as well start to celebrate :drink::falmer::falmer::falmer::falmer:

If all goes to plan it doesn't look like they have a case to appeal after reading that artical

1066gull

Falmer is in the bag.Might as well start to celebrate :drink::falmer::falmer::falmer::falmer:

If all goes to plan it doesn't look like they have a case to appeal after reading that artical
Im not, because LDC will find more delays. Probably not about the site, but about the cost and where the money is coming from and that it justifies taxpayers money, creating a lie about the source of funds being 'illegal' probably.

:censored:

Im not, because LDC will find more delays. Probably not about the site, but about the cost and where the money is coming from and that it justifies taxpayers money, creating a lie about the source of funds being 'illegal' probably.

Even if they want to whinge about the costs ... this isn't a planning consideration and any opinions they have on that score can't be used to delay the project.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Even if they want to whinge about the costs ... this isn't a planning consideration and any opinions they have on that score can't be used to delay the project.

If Lewes lose do they have to stump up money for us and the govenrment?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Due on or before JUNE 9th?:ohmy:

By the way - fantastic work, LB. Really made my day, this news.

14 days. It's due on the 9th June (which is a Monday, so therefore it is a fortnight away) - Unlike the song when it's "only a day away".

It appears that The Argus have been copying the work of Woodchip :ohmy:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
And who said anything about taxpayers money being used to fund it?

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here

oh, for christ's sake, cheer up a bit you morose, fat fucker. just because you have no future, doesn't mean the club doesn't.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
oh, for christ's sake, cheer up a bit you morose, fat fucker. just because you have no future, doesn't mean the club doesn't.

That made me laugh out loud :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Sadly ... no.

Although, as an LDC council tax payer, I'm pleased about that. Enough of my money has already been spent on this futile attempt by my local council to kill off my football club.

This was taking from there site

The legal action, if we lose, will cost £60000. The Society of Sussex Downsmen and South Downs Conservation board have both pledged £5000. We are paying half the costs along with Lewes District Council. This means we need to find £25,000. We have already raised £15,000, and so need to find another £10,000. We need to raise this money before we go to court. This will probably not be before June next year. The strange thing about these appeals is that if we win, and I think we will, the government have to pay our costs. We pay nothing. If we lose we pay their costs.

1066gull

here here

a ploy to get new members

Attachments

• NSCBANNERARGUS.jpg
    NSCBANNERARGUS.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 101

This was taking from there site

The legal action, if we lose, will cost £60000. The Society of Sussex Downsmen and South Downs Conservation board have both pledged £5000. We are paying half the costs along with Lewes District Council. This means we need to find £25,000. We have already raised £15,000, and so need to find another £10,000. We need to raise this money before we go to court. This will probably not be before June next year. The strange thing about these appeals is that if we win, and I think we will, the government have to pay our costs. We pay nothing. If we lose we pay their costs.

That was Falmer Parish Council, giving it large last year.

As things worked out, they technically "won" the court case, because the government conceded defeat. Even though LDC waited until the very last minute before accepting the concession, they still came out the "winner".

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
So can they appeal ldc and falmer council if it is a yes on anything or with todays news will it be watertight.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
MP was going to see the FA this morning, I met him on the train, do you think there is any link? Just a question like.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
So can they appeal ldc and falmer council if it is a yes on anything or with todays news will it be watertight.

If they find a legal flaw then they can appeal but it has to be a legal flaw not their opinion.

Just a thought, maybe LDC will start appealing the proposed National Park areas instead?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here