Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you happy with Gus only playing 1 striker?

• 451 - Its the best formation for us

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • 442 - we have looked much better in games when used this

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • other - please state

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Simple question related to all the ' we need a good partner for CMS ' threads.

Are you happy with Gus's 451 formation, only playing with 1 foward? (which will defeat the object of getting another foward in)

or

Would you prefer Gus to change to 442 to play with 2 fowards aswell as 2 wingers?

Poll to follow.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Simple question related to all the ' we need a good partner for CMS ' threads.

Are you happy with Gus's 451 formation, only playing with 1 foward? (which will defeat the object of getting another foward in)

or

Would you prefer Gus to change to 442 to play with 2 fowards aswell as 2 wingers?

Poll to follow.

CMS is no more effective when he has a partner, Gus has chopped and changed to try and accomodate him nothing has worked, he has only scored once this year

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Other? well 442 rigid is not for me,attacking 433 and defensive 451-what do i know but never been a fan of it,unless we have Figo and Ronaldo and play like Portugal-even then look at the success they have? Not....pretty,but like a bird with all looks and no personality,gets you ultimately nowhere..

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
No 442 is for dinosaurs I think the way forward is 433 but we need better midfielders to be able to play this regularly.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You play the best formation to suit the better players at your disposal...If you have 3 top centre backs play three at the back. If you got 2 class wingers play them. You don't leave your best players on the bench to play a system. You play the system that suits your better players..Nothing wrong with 4-4-2 if you have the right players and Gus said a few months after arriving that 4-4-2 was his favorite system with the right players to play it.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
4 5 1 is the way to play unless we get real quality as the extra striker and with a central midfield player. If and when we can get those a move to 4 4 2 will be on. I feel to a certain extent we have a halfway house with Barnes playing in midfield and looking to link with the striker. He is not really a midfield player. I also think we need to recognise that we have two fuill backs who are best attacking (Cald and Mattock). Thus to have a secure midfield enables them to get forward more. At the end of the day though it is how the players play rather than the system.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
You play the best formation to suit the better players at your disposal...If you have 3 top centre backs play three at the back. If you got 2 class wingers play them. You don't leave your best players on the bench to play a system. You play the system that suits your better players..Nothing wrong with 4-4-2 if you have the right players and Gus said a few months after arriving that 4-4-2 was his favorite system with the right players to play it.
I agree.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He doesn't necessarily need a strike partner if enough support from midfield is getting up there quickly enough (and if he gets the supply of good balls to chase - which won't happen unless we start passing the ball longer than ten yards, across and back)

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
It's the only way to go in modern football, with the obsession with winning the midfield battle in numbers.

The creativity/backup then comes from offensive/goal scoring widemen & the free 'no.10' type of the CM free (Vicente).

We will improve when 2 or 3 of the personnel are 'upgraded'.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I see a fluid formation of varying number combinations. To state 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 over simplifies it. For a start, it implies just three layers of formation.

The thing Gus has to consider is that he must find the best players to suit his philosophy. To have to tinker your system purely to suit the (lack of) quality in your team severely restricts progression.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Not since we were safe from relegation. Up to that point it was dont lose and take what you can. Soon as we hit that we should have gone for it.

Last year we had two up front, or even three with wood, barnes and muzza, so it can be done with the right players.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
5-3-2

Gives cover when our fullbacks go walkabouts. Too often caught out on the counter when our fullbacks have bombed forward - Calderon scores goals, but his defending and the gaps he leaves is woeful.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The reason it doesnt work with CMS is because he is forever chasing balls into the corners and balls into his feet. He is never going to score goals when he is the one getting the ball out wide and crossing it in and he isnt the type of player who will get the ball and take players on like Lua Lua, Vicente or Buckley.

451/433 does work when we have more than just CMS forward of the ball when we have it. We need to get the wide players and Full backs pushing up, getting the ball out wide and then playing it behind the defence for CMS to get on the end of in the MIDDLE!

If we did play 442 it would leave us out numbered when the others are pushing on and the attack breaks down.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
442, but only when we get the right players in midfield...

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
For me I want this.

KKL Bridcutt Narvarro Buckley
Vicente
CMS

Give Vicente a free role to go wherever he likes, 2 natural wide men. PLAY TO OUR STRENGTHS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here