Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we seeing the start of a spending spree OR...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
...serious cost-cutting?

Strikes me that while most are seeing today's clear-out as the start of a summer of spending and new players, it could quite equally be a sign of things to come.

We are losing money, facing a drop in season ticket sales and have a big shiny new ground to pay for.

Maybe we are about to enter a period of COST cutting.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I wouldn't be suprised if the budget was less next season. we must have over spent by miles with all the loan players short term contracts etc this season. Bloom only has so much money to pump in:jester:. I expect a smaller squad with better quality being assembled by RS.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I see it as a tightening of the belt with serious financial problems especially if the rumour about Murray is true as that can only possibly be for financial reasons and shows a lack of promotion ambition.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we are gonna spunk money in the close season in an effort to be at Falmer as a Championship club :clap2:

I have no basis for suggesting that this wil be the case.. it's just what I would like us to do

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
...serious cost-cutting?

Strikes me that while most are seeing today's clear-out as the start of a summer of spending and new players, it could quite equally be a sign of things to come.

We are losing money, facing a drop in season ticket sales and have a big shiny new ground to pay for.

Maybe we are about to enter a period of COST cutting.

Thing is if it was cost cutting surely we would be keeping the younger players as we have to replace them and I don't see how we would find players cheaper than them. If we'd let a few big names go and kept all the locals then you might have a point, but if we take an example - if we were cost cutting we would not have released Sullivan as we will have to sign another goalkeeper from somewhere and is that player really going to be cheaper in terms of singing fee and wages that Sully was?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I think the board have been scared into acting without mercy. I beleive, and i have know evidence for this, that we will spend (wages and transfers) quite abit of money. If, as some people have suggested, we tighten our belts, then i have little doubt we will survive in this league. League two football in falmer is not an option.

I think they will spend a fair wack, for a club our size, but with making sure we dont waste any money. Was there not a artical after the transfer window that we are they League Two Man city? Laughable i know, but i think we have more money than most clubs in the divsion and lower.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I think we are gonna spunk money in the close season in an effort to be at Falmer as a Championship club :clap2:

I have no basis for suggesting that this wil be the case.. it's just what I would like us to do

I believe the term 'spunk money' means to waste it, which I don't think will be the case...

I think we will end up with a streamlined squad of reasonable quality that will get us up around the play-off positions, if not the top two, at the end of the season...

Football is a business and with Falmer on the horizon, there can be no more comedy of errors type balls-ups :albion2:

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
I think we will see a smaller better quality squad next year, it doesn't have to be a spending spree or a cost cutting measure especially since most of those released weren't actually on much and those that were were disinterested. More likely is that it will be free transfers. We always have such a large squad full of ex youth team players and loanees a tighter squad where you can rely on any of the 20ish players will work a lot better. More consistency in the team is what we need and hopefully is what we will get.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I believe the term 'spunk money' means to waste it, which I don't think will be the case...

I:

I have to agree and can't deny we "spunked money" on players this season who didn't seem to have a clue or direction. I think we will be spending more than all but the big boys this season as League 1 or God forbid league 2 is not gonna see a 1/4 of the season ticket sales starting in the Championship would bring when we eventually move into Falmer. The board HAVE to spend money to get us ther imo, speculate to accumulate. We have the chance to get 12 k plus season ticket sales and a pretty full stadium from day one should we be in the Championship.

No manager is going to get rid of half his squad without being sure he can replace it.

This doesn't sound like cost cutting to me.

It sounds like someone clearing the decks, getting rid of what he doesn't want in readiness to replace with what he does want.

Therefore he must be confident of (a) getting the players he wants and (b) getting the dosh to pay for them.

Remember the discussion about the loan notes and my wondering if this could be a new investor getting ready to put some decent money into the pot? Nothing that has happened today is inconsistent with that.

Interesting times!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Thing is if it was cost cutting surely we would be keeping the younger players as we have to replace them and I don't see how we would find players cheaper than them. If we'd let a few big names go and kept all the locals then you might have a point, but if we take an example - if we were cost cutting we would not have released Sullivan as we will have to sign another goalkeeper from somewhere and is that player really going to be cheaper in terms of singing fee and wages that Sully was?

Indeed, if you're tightening the budget that last thing you do is release all the youngster and keep players like Owusu and Whing on. Wouldn't make any sense at all.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Getting rid of dead wood (as bad as it sounds) is what has taken place. All good servants to the club, however Slade is now the manager. He has to make big, bold decisions on behalf of the club. If we are to go for it next season, then we need the right players in. If not then we will be in the same situation we was this season. Im sure Slade hasnt made the decision on his own back, being here only 8 weeks, he must have had some converstations with the coaching staff etc :shrug:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The fact RS has a two year deal also plays a part. He is clearly on a mission to take us into Falmer with a Championship ready squad and it looks like the board are willing to back his judgement. I'd agree with Spider about cost cutting though. Surely it's cheaper to keep the youth team players than bring in new boys? We shall see. Personally I think we're going to build a pretty decent squad and I might put a small wager on the play offs next season!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think we are FINALLY at the point (and even more so next summer) where we can now ENTICE players (especially under 25 etc) with the prospect of Falmer. Before it was obviously something explained to the player but never PROMISED with concrete timescales. So i imagine this summer, and this clear out, is the beginning of 'Operation Recruit!'

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
The Falmer prospect must be a big lure for alot of players. Its going to be the DOGS BOLLOCKS.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
If we were going into a cost-cutting period wouldn't we be keeping players such as Loft, Fraser etc, you know, may not be the best players but are not on too much wages, rather than trying to sign players like Owusu and Dicker, who are likely to be on more.

I'd like to think we are going to spend a little, but not too much, and just progress this year. Last year i thought we had spent a bit and was hopefull for the season, then look what happened.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The club have stated that they are positioning themselves for Championship football at Falmer in two years time. That means getting rid of those players out of contract who will not make the grade. The board also know that they will not get there unless there is suitable investment which is why we have Russell as manager and Dean White still there because he has so many contacts and files on players. Trust them to come up with the goods in the next few weeks when players contracts expire at the end of May. Owusu and Dicker are already on their list.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I see it as a tightening of the belt with serious financial problems especially if the rumour about Murray is true as that can only possibly be for financial reasons and shows a lack of promotion ambition.

You would though wouldn't you. Do you think you should have something in your signature that makes your agenda more clear to those that don't know your back history? That would at least give them a context for your constant sniping.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
The club have stated that they are positioning themselves for Championship football at Falmer in two years time. That means getting rid of those players out of contract who will not make the grade. The board also know that they will not get there unless there is suitable investment which is why we have Russell as manager and Dean White still there because he has so many contacts and files on players. Trust them to come up with the goods in the next few weeks when players contracts expire at the end of May. Owusu and Dicker are already on their list.

How is owusu championship standard????

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Championship pay-scales mean two out, one in, more or less. No more 44-player seasons, that's for sure. Injuries could make us or break us, being not so much short-handed as 'right-sized', as the Human Resources bods call it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here