Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we mixing up confidence & faith with arrogance?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There have been a few posts lately slating people who have said we're going to win the league. Personally I've always believed we'd do this, so much so I stuck cash on it. This wasn't arrogance it's faith in the manager & team and having the confidence in them.

Why is this wrong?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just a few Tim? This place is arrogance city. We have a new stadium, a brilliant manager and a minted chairman and all of a sudden we are big time charlies in a lot of peoples eyes ... and although embarrassing to some because of those looking in from elsewhere, laughable in my eyes.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Well, I cannot see us f*king it up. We've just got too much strength in depth. Not saying we are definately going up as champions, but we're definately going up. I don't think this is arrogant or anything to do with the new stadium and our chairman being loaded. For starters the chairman hasn't really splashed that much cash, we've just brought in enough quality to give Gus enough to work with.
The bottom line is that Gus is the best manager in the division and we play the best football in the division. That's not arrogance, it's fact.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well, I cannot see us f*king it up. We've just got too much strength in depth. Not saying we are definately going up as champions, but we're definately going up. I don't think this is arrogant or anything to do with the new stadium and our chairman being loaded. For starters the chairman hasn't really splashed that much cash, we've just brought in enough quality to give Gus enough to work with.
The bottom line is that Gus is the best manager in the division and we play the best football in the division. That's not arrogance, it's fact.

You lost the point somewhere grassman, we have every right to be confident, but we look totally arrogant to other supporters and yet we trawl the net to find points worthy of picking on instead of just going along with the business of gaining promotion. Who really, really cares what Wendy, SCC, Palarse and whoever else is saying? obviously a fair few on here. That is arrogance because we wouldn't have been doing it this time last year. Far too much enthusiasm for everyone else me thinks.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Would we be as confident if Gus poyet were to suddenly be poached by Chelsea.who do we have more faith in, the team or the manager.This is highly unlikely to happen but not impossible.it's not over until it's over

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
You lost the point somewhere grassman, we have every right to be confident, but we look totally arrogant to other supporters and yet we trawl the net to find points worthy of picking on instead of just going along with the business of gaining promotion. Who really, really cares what Wendy, SCC, Palarse and whoever else is saying? obviously a fair few on here. That is arrogance because we wouldn't have been doing it this time last year. Far too much enthusiasm for everyone else me thinks.

Well, perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree LondonBlue. I personally don't 'trawl the net' trying to find these points. I just know what I'm witnessing at the Albion games I see - which is probably three quarters of them this season. Again I'm not arrogant enough to say we are gonna walk it and go up as champs, but as I look at the advantages we have (two games against Dag & Red etc) I have to say to myself that I don't think we're gonna drop enough points(while others pick them up) to allow these other teams anywhere near us. As I said, I don't think it's arrogance, I believe we're just good enough from now on in to achieve promotion, especially with Gus at the helm. We still have Kish and Navarro to come back, we have 4 (count 'em) strikers capable of getting us goals and then there's the likes of Jake Caskey still to step up to the plate. Again it's not arrogance, it's simply belief.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
On the other hand there's plenty of people who don't take promotion for granted. It looks likely but asumming we're in this position at the end of April then we'll celebrate.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It's still a bit early to for me to feel comfortable announcing we're 100% certs for promotion, but I can understand why other people are. It'll take an absolute disaster for us to miss out on the top two now and while it is unlikely, given the current form of us and our rivals, a lot can happen in 17 games. I don't think most people are being arrogant though as we've been at the top of the league for 154 days now, people have a right to believe that will continue to the end of the season. I just don't like tempting fate myself, much like that stupid Palace Relegation Party last season

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Bozza normally pops up with this comment, but in his absence. There is no "we". "We" do not trawl the net to fond points worthy of picking on, "we" weren't doing it this time last year. A few poeple who use NSC have been doing this. There is no we on NSC. Don't lump everyone in together with a small minority.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Bozza normally pops up with this comment, but in his absence. There is no "we". "We" do not trawl the net to fond points worthy of picking on, "we" weren't doing it this time last year. A few poeple who use NSC have been doing this. There is no we on NSC. Don't lump everyone in together with a small minority.

This.

At the beginning of the season I would ahve been happy with challenging for the play-offs. I do think being an Albion supporter over many years makes you a little bit cautious so although I am over the moon I still dont believe promotion is in the bag.... although it is now within reach. I have never understood arrogance. What have we to be arrogant about? Proud yes, arrogant no. I'll leave that for other teams. Brighton has always been a city club, a family club and I dont want it to be anything else. Arrogance has no place here.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
It is almost certain in the law of averages that we will probably lose 2 or 3 games out of the 17 left - someone like Oldham or Rochdale might nick a lucky 1 - 0 win late in a game.

No team consistently wins all their away games, although long runs of home wins are not uncommon.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I thought the people who were taking about how we would walk the league in October were arrogant. Now I think there is more of a confidence. However, like many others I know, I will not allow myself to believe we are going up until it is a mathematical certainty. The one thing I have learned as a Brighton fan is that there is no such thing as a smooth ride.

By the end of March, if we are still doing well, I may just allow myself to dream. In the meantime, I'll be here nervously nibbling on my nails!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It goes against the grain to say this but in recent league games we have simply been too good for the oppostion. The table doesn't lie and we are where we are on merit. It is essential that Gus and the team guard against any complacency in a job that has yet to be completed, but as fan it would be churlish not to enjoy what has up until this point been an extremely enjoyable season. After the dross of recent years this team is a revelation, and given the condescension from some of our rivals why shouldn't we revel in a little bit of gloating.

I think the thread title is spot on, the team have backed up our confidence with results and performances to match. I accept we haven't secured promotion yet, but I have every confidence that this team is good enough to achieve it. That isn't arrogance, that is just an opinion based on how the season has panned out so far.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
There is a degree of arrogance in some quarters but it is very easy to mistake arrogance for enjoyment. After years in the doldrums our club is going places and people are enjoying the ride. If you can't enjoy the ride you shouldn't be on the bus!

Seagull1967

Aug 8, 2009
Barnsley
With so many games to go to the end of the season and with such a hectic run in with the potential for injuries, suspensions and other sides fighting for survival, I one do not want to get carried away saying we are going to get automatic promotion!

I have faith in both the manager and the team as they go hand in hand, but there is to many if, buts and maybe's for my liking and experience tells me not to get over confident this far out from the end...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Would we be as confident if Gus poyet were to suddenly be poached by Chelsea.who do we have more faith in, the team or the manager.This is highly unlikely to happen but not impossible.it's not over until it's over

Ignoring the fact the Gus going to Chelsea is ludicrous (them wanting him, not him going), for me, the confidence is mainly in the manager, but also in the team he has built and the way he has got them playing. If he were to leave we'd be alright for a while, but I would worry about the influence of any new man coming in on the way we play.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As Strings says - boasting about being best in the League and that you have a divine right to promotion in the Autumn is arrogant (Sheff Wed mayhap?). Suggesting that we're likely to get promoted at the begining of March when we have been top of the league for five months is more like justified confidence.

Personally, can't bring myself to say it because I'm a bit superstitious, but if we fail, there would have been a monumental and instantaneous change in form.

The Offspring

Resident Guitar Shredder
Jul 8, 2004
Hants/Wilts Border
With so many games to go to the end of the season and with such a hectic run in with the potential for injuries, suspensions and other sides fighting for survival, I one do not want to get carried away saying we are going to get automatic promotion!

I have faith in both the manager and the team as they go hand in hand, but there is to many if, buts and maybe's for my liking and experience tells me not to get over confident this far out from the end...

This, the only thing we have achieved so far this season for a fact is that we will not be relegated, 17 games still to go, but if we can get 10 wins out of those, then we will go up, which really should not be too difficult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here