Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we missing Iwelumo?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haven't been able to go yet this season so can't comment, but can we go through the season without a big target man. If McGhee can't find the right big player could we get away with another smaller but more skillful forward?

In retrospect was it a mistake not to try and hang onto big Chris?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having a big target man only seems to encourage the hoofers to hoof it aimlessly in big targetman's general direction. Maybe small and nippy and playing it on the ground is the way to go this time around.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
there again...Molongo cant header the ball so all we have up front to header it is two midgets ( leon and Jakey)

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
Tom Hark said:
Having a big target man only seems to encourage the hoofers to hoof it aimlessly in big targetman's general direction. Maybe small and nippy and playing it on the ground is the way to go this time around.

Although I agree with you Tom, I don't think it will stop the hoofing.
How many times on Saturday was a hoof directed towards little Jakey.
Amazingly he actually won quite a few of them though.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
without a good passing player like currie (hopefully), then i think we would miss iwelumo or a targetman at least. but i think if we can keep the ball on the ground leon will be happier anyway. so no need for big target man imo. maybe this will encourage us to play good football.
even though leon is only small he can still jump well and seems to score a few with his head. so hopefully we dontneed a big man. but what we have to respect is sometimes a good long hoofing is the best way to defend, as a defender under pressure would know.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I hope that we go down the "keep it on the ground" route although I appreciate that it requires more thought and skill.

Are our defenders good enough to play like this? On the strength of last season, I'm not convinced. I also think we there may be quite a few games this season where we won't have a choice and are going to need the big hoof down the field. Would be handy to have someone on the bench who could play that way if we need to play hoofball.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
In a word, yes. We don't have any aerial power up front now. Molango can't head the ball to save his life and Leon is too short.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Icy Gull said:
I hope that we go down the "keep it on the ground" route although I appreciate that it requires more thought and skill.

Are our defenders good enough to play like this? On the strength of last season, I'm not convinced. I also think we there may be quite a few games this season where we won't have a choice and are going to need the big hoof down the field. Would be handy to have someone on the bench who could play that way if we need to play hoofball.

Too many hoofers at the moment tho. Butters can't play any other way. Danny C, Kerry Mayo, Dan Harding, Adam Virgo, all of them hoof first and ask questions later. How many times was the balled hoofed into blocks C/D/E on Saturday? And that was against one of the less threatening teams in the Division.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I've always been a firm believer in playing to your strengths, that's what got us promoted last year. Personally, i can't stand watching us playing hit-and-hope football, but it suited the players we had last season (not too skillful but quite hard working).

This season we have a bit of an identity crisis because we've brought in a couple of more skillful players (Currie, Molango etc.) so we need to play better football to accomodate their strengths.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether they are good enough at the things they do well to keep us in the division. I reckon we should have stuck with the big man.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
The Great Cornholio said:
I have it on good authority thet Big Chris was after £5k a week - hence his move to Germany. Whether we miss him or not, he ain't worth that.

Ok, forget what I said before. I reckon we should have stuck with a big man!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is rather ironic that less than 2 months ago a number of people were saying 'Iwan Roberts is ona free from Norwich sign him' and now suddenly we dont need a target man. I think that we need a target man but not Chris Iwelumo.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
bhaexpress said:
In a word, yes. We don't have any aerial power up front now. Molango can't head the ball to save his life and Leon is too short.

I thought Molango got some good flick ons in the game against Plymouth, so that's pretty unfair.

He didn't win anything in the air against Coventry but Davenport, his marker, looked about 6'5".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here