Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we all "Campaigned Out"?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just wondering if that's the case because there have been a couple of recent threads asking the question "What now"? and they've been largely ignored?

There is no doubt that we need to keep our campaign going but is it that after 7 years we're all battle weary or is there another brilliant idea ready to be announced?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We don't want to bother ourselves with "what now" type threads, we've got to keep positive about this, as soon as you start worrying about the effect we're having then the concern sets in.

We got hundreds of letters signed, added to the thousands at Falmer we have a huge wad to slam down on JPs desk, thousandnds of sigs on the petition, national and local coverage all over the country.

It's going fantastically, and we all need to keep it up.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Bwian, your question is very timely. I think the key issue is very basic: WHAT ARE TRYING TO ACHIEVE? Originally, with the Wycombe protest, the Flowers, etc, it was all about getting media coverage. National Falmer Day and the Post Card campaign is primarily to demonstrate national interest. So, have we achieved those objectives?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Short of armed insurrection what's left to do ?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Anyone not going to Vale fancy a trip to Lewes on Saturday for a bit more Falmer For Alling?...

See thread started by LEWES CLIFF...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
balloonboy said:
Bwian, your question is very timely. I think the key issue is very basic: WHAT ARE TRYING TO ACHIEVE? Originally, with the Wycombe protest, the Flowers, etc, it was all about getting media coverage. National Falmer Day and the Post Card campaign is primarily to demonstrate national interest. So, have we achieved those objectives?

The problem with running another campaign hot on the heels of the previous idea is that the media lose interest. I'm afraid that's probably what happened with NFD which was a brilliant idea and was superbly backed by Albion fans, but ultimately barely registered in the media. I tend to think we'd be better off setting a date a 2 or 3 months into the future which could turn into a celebration if we got the right result, or a protest if god forbid the wrong result was announced. Meanwhile keep encouraging people to write to JP.

Just my thought...

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
The Large One said:
I tend to think that it was not so important that NFD didn't hit the media. It was the fans we were reaching for - the 'converted' if you like - to gee them into action.

In that respect, NFD was a total success.

Couldn't agree more. NFD also had the added benefit of keeping us all motivated, and reminding us that we have thousands of friends all over the country.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Must confess to a slight sense of agreement.

In the past couple of weeks I have written dozens of letters, went to the flowers protest, gathered friends and family across the UK into the postcard campaign and so on, and feel they've done a great job in:
- letting JP know the strength of feeling
- raising national awareness at other clubs and in the media.

And, yes, now I do have a slight sense of 'what more can we do than this, really'. JP must know by now how we feel, any more activity is not really going to change that. I just want his bloody decision now, the waiting is getting me down.

I'm not saying we should give up, or that people should stop doing things and thinking of new things, I'm just being honest: I have a touch of campaign-fatigue. Sorry.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Believe me, if the stadium bid is turned down, it will NOT be because Prescott agrees with Hoile about the 'provincial club' tag, and the lack of 'national importance'. Prescott's secretary has said as much, and Keith Hill's answer to Norman Baker's question in the House of Commons alludes to pretty much that.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The Large One said:
Believe me, if the stadium bid is turned down, it will NOT be because Prescott agrees with Hoile about the 'provincial club' tag, and the lack of 'national importance'. Prescott's secretary has said as much, and Keith Hill's answer to Norman Baker's question in the House of Commons alludes to pretty much that.

How did that go?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Simster said:
The problem with running another campaign hot on the heels of the previous idea is that the media lose interest. I'm afraid that's probably what happened with NFD which was a brilliant idea and was superbly backed by Albion fans, but ultimately barely registered in the media. I tend to think we'd be better off setting a date a 2 or 3 months into the future which could turn into a celebration if we got the right result, or a protest if god forbid the wrong result was announced. Meanwhile keep encouraging people to write to JP.

Just my thought...

If JP gives the YES decision we all want there won't be any need for any pre-organised celebrations....there will be a spontaneous gathering of Albion fans all over the place and probably on the muddy field where our new home should be.

A decent campaign idea takes quite a while to go from idea to implementation so that is why I asked my original question. Should we just put forward some ideas to keep the momentum up? Or just wait for letters to be done by others without any vested interest in our bid for a home? On the 'get people to write in' front I'm sure we've all badgered our families and friends, work colleagues, customers, etc to the point where we've run out of people to ask? I know I have. Now I'm at the stage of having to wait for the decision whereas all the while something is evolving/happening I feel as though I'm helping influence JP in some small way.

I am of the belief that lurking out there somewhere is the killer idea that might just make the difference in the same way that Fans United evolved from what at the time was a simple question from a 14 year old Plymouth fan. Without that little question back then who knows?

Doesn't hurt to keep ideas coming does it-even if we don't act on them immediately? At least it feels as though we are doing something rather than just waiting for the announcement.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think we have done almost all we can do regarding "fan power".

I think we need a human or celebrity angle now - although I'm of the opinion that we will never get a load of celebs to turn up in support of a stadium. They have busy diaries you know!

A funny, newsworthy idea - possibly involving a celebrity - that doesn't involve a massive amount of co-ordination, that's what we need.

Remember when Gail Porter's nude picture was beamed onto the Houses of Parliament? That kind of thing.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Lush said:
Remember when Gail Porter's nude picture was beamed onto the Houses of Parliament? That kind of thing.

A nude Liz Costa beamed onto the Palace Pier?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You are right Lush-we've pretty much taken things as far as we can-as fans.

Come on Prescott-enough's enough! What more do we have to do you F** G**?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
bhafc99 said:
A nude Liz Costa beamed onto the Palace Pier?

And for every day we're denied the decision the picture moves closer to prescott's office.....

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Bwian said:
I am of the belief that lurking out there somewhere is the killer idea that might just make the difference in the same way that Fans United evolved from what at the time was a simple question from a 14 year old Plymouth fan. Without that little question back then who knows?

Doesn't hurt to keep ideas coming does it-even if we don't act on them immediately? At least it feels as though we are doing something rather than just waiting for the announcement.

Bwian, you win my personal award for the best statement of the day. We've done a helluva lot as fans, but each day that goes past without a decision is another day to influence Prescott. We should not miss that opportunity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here