Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Chinese still at it?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well are they?
Sixteen year old Chinese swimmers knocking 5 seconds off their PB and recording a 50m time quicker than Ryan Locktie ( Lochte/Lochtee...whatever his surname is )
We all know what happened in the 90's following the unification of Germany. Coaches who had been ' training ' East German athletes and swimmers moved to China. Lo and behold, Chinese women started smashing world records for fun...and most of those world records were held by East Germans. Everyone knew what was going on, the record breaking women disappeared as quickly as they had emerged and we all hoped that the Chinese had ' cleaned up their act '
Am I just an old cynic and are they genuinely producing streams of world beaters?
A nation of that size, with that power and drive and financial clout will produce some but the Orientals were always held back in a lot events due to their lack of size. Now it doesn't seem to matter and they are competing across the board.
I hope my suspicions are totally unfounded and that they are fast becoming the most successful sporting nation on the planet.....but I'm still just a little uneasy at the rate of progress.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
A 16yo female Chinese swimmer does the final 50m quicker of the 400m medley quicker than the fastest man in the world, going 7 seconds quicker than their previous PB in the process. Yeah, I reckon there just might be something odd happening.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I think they're so competitive because they have about 1,500,000,000 people to choose from and these kids who are grown to do gymnastics/swimming/diving have zero choice and probably sacrifice much of their life doing this.

Tom Daley has a full education, he's learning to drive and he's had a recent family bereavement and he can still be competitive. Incredible.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's all that MSG - makes them thirsty for success.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd seen that stat on the little Chinese girl v Lochte and it's astounding. Just watching that race, she was a mile behind World Record pace when she started that freestyle leg and she just took off like a torpedo. It's difficult to not be just a tad suspicious.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Probably a combination of scientists working for the state to develop new and untracable performance enhancing drugs + picking the best kids and making that event their entire life.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Is anyone really surprised,lets face it Claire Balding was right to question it straight away and who would'nt ?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Yeah I remember the good ol days when a Female east German hurdler would effortlessly glide over the hurdles hardly leaving any clearance between the hurdle and her testicles!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
China are cleaning up at everything.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I like Chinese people. They're some of the most polite humans in the world. Thank goodness snooker isn't an Olympic sport yet; Ding Junhui would win gold probably and the Chinese are catching up fast. Makes me wonder when they'll start to boom at football - it'll happen eventually.

USA were 4/6 favourites to win most medals before the Olympics. China must be massive odds on now to achieve that - rather them than the Yanks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are the Chinese still at it?
Yes they are. But the yanks have been at it for years too, so it's hardly surprising China cheat too. All competitors should have Biological passports, and they should be tested regularly by an independent organisation. When someone is caught, then a couple of golds should be knocked off that country's total.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
I work for a Chinese National and the scouting and development are obscene these Kids are picked up at age 4 or 5 hundreds thousands at a time the best 100 in each sport from the age of 6 are developed whether they want to be or not.

So to sum up out of 1000 kids in each sport they are whittled down to 100 then obviously only the best 5 will make the games. I asked where the ones that dont make it end up and he simply said " out of sight " which was a bit suspect.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I like Chinese people. They're some of the most polite humans in the world

Have you been to China? Probably the rudest bunch of people I've ever met in my life.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I imagine all their scientists have been desperately trying to create a new undetectable substance so they can win most golds and be seen to be a real challenger to the USA as a super power.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
It's not so much drug assisted performance as the violent and abusive training regimes the chinese employ, the conditions their children are forced to train in are akin to child abuse and torture. That is a fact and there are plenty of sources to confirm it. I imagine if we started taking kids away from their parents and forced them to train 6-8 hours a day for 10 years then we might well have more gold medals, thankfully we don't.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I work for a Chinese National and the scouting and development are obscene these Kids are picked up at age 4 or 5 hundreds thousands at a time the best 100 in each sport from the age of 6 are developed whether they want to be or not.
It's not so much drug assisted performance as the violent and abusive training regimes the chinese employ, the conditions their children are forced to train in are akin to child abuse and torture.
None of that is enough to make a 16 year old girl swim faster than the men's gold medalist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here