Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Crystal Palace ahead of us?

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Palace fans do make me laugh. Of course they're going to think their club is bigger/better. If only there were a fair way to settle this, with, I don't know, a points system based on wins and losses...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Honestly, if they had a state of the art stadium in the area the crowds would come back, of course they would.

Brighton have proved that. I'd go as far to say that they would generally see bigger crowds that us.

But currently with a stadium that has the comfort and facilities of a Victorian workhouse they are going to struggle. People will simply not pay for that anymore, especially at the prices they are charging.

I was shocked at the state of Selhurst Park. That's their problem.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
We wouldn't be having these kind of threads over the last 10 or 20 years. Writings on the wall.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Honestly, if they had a state of the art stadium in the area the crowds would come back, of course they would.

Brighton have proved that. I'd go as far to say that they would generally see bigger crowds that us.

But currently with a stadium that has the comfort and facilities of a Victorian workhouse they are going to struggle. People will simply not pay for that anymore, especially at the prices they are charging.

I was shocked at the state of Selhurst Park. That's their problem.

I think you are spot on. The stadium environment is very important. Just think how depressing Selhurst must be for both players and fans alike. Strange really that Palace derided our attendances for years at Withdean and yet they are suffering from a similar problem. I wonder what their gates will be if they are (as expected) relegated and have to play division 3 matches there?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I think you are spot on. The stadium environment is very important. Just think how depressing Selhurst must be for both players and fans alike. Strange really that Palace derided our attendances for years at Withdean and yet they are suffering from a similar problem. I wonder what their gates will be if they are (as expected) relegated and have to play division 3 matches there?

Who, apart from your fine selves, actually expects us to be relegated? This is the lowest we've been all season, as we have been experimenting with the reserves for weeks now, and we're still miles away from the bottom three.

I don't really see how an average of 15.5k is "struggling". That's a respectable attendance, nothing more and nothing less.

Our chairmen have already stated that this was a 3-year-plan. The first season was survival, we did that. The second season was comfortable consolidation, we've managed that easily. Next season is about going up :)

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Oh, and the "club in decline" bit... How exactly are we moving anywhere other than forwards? Our attendances have increased since last year, we're playing better football, we've had a much better season than last year, we've made some very good signings, we've got another few academy players coming through and we're spending big in the summer.

I don't see how anyone could look at us objectively and say that we're anything other than a team on the up. We don't need to sell any of our squad because we are financially secure, Dougie has a £5m transfer budget in the summer, plus any money from player sales. We're well and truly sorted, and I'd be surprised if we weren't in the top 7 or 8 next season.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Palace fans do make me laugh. Of course they're going to think their club is bigger/better. If only there were a fair way to settle this, with, I don't know, a points system based on wins and losses...

This is a great idea.

: puts thinking cap on :

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Oh, and the "club in decline" bit... How exactly are we moving anywhere other than forwards? Our attendances have increased since last year, we're playing better football, we've had a much better season than last year, we've made some very good signings, we've got another few academy players coming through and we're spending big in the summer.

I don't see how anyone could look at us objectively and say that we're anything other than a team on the up. We don't need to sell any of our squad because we are financially secure, Dougie has a £5m transfer budget in the summer, plus any money from player sales. We're well and truly sorted, and I'd be surprised if we weren't in the top 7 or 8 next season.
*snort*

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335166708.011821.jpg

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Do you really believe that? It will be interesting to see if your owners really give Dougie 5 million. I suspect any purchases will be as a result of sales of your best players with the 50 million rated Zaha making up most of your pot.

Your attendances are not on the up - the fact you mask your true attendances by counting absent season ticket holders as present clouds the issue. You actually had less than 10k for a midweek game against Bristol City, that unofficial figure was admitted by the Club

This year you have tried all measure of ideas to get bigger crowds - all of them include reducing prices = reduced income. You even flogged next years season tickets at a reduced price.

You attendances are heavily boosted by away fans numbers - such as West ham 5k & saints 6k - though you turned down this opportunity for Millwall & the Albion.

You need to address the appalling conditions at Selhurst as a priority - how the Arthur W*nk stand passes a safety certificate is a mystery.

In respect of your academy producing great young players this is a classic emperors new clothes. When asked no one at Palace can put forward a list of players other than a few bench warmers at Wigan & the vertically challenged Zahaha.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Your attendances are not on the up - the fact you mask your true attendances by counting absent season ticket holders as present clouds the issue. You actually had less than 10k for a midweek game against Bristol City, that unofficial figure was admitted by the Club

This year you have tried all measure of ideas to get bigger crowds - all of them include reducing prices = reduced income. You even flogged next years season tickets at a reduced price.

You attendances are heavily boosted by away fans numbers - such as West ham 5k & saints 6k - though you turned down this opportunity for Millwall & the Albion.

You need to address the appalling conditions at Selhurst as a priority - how the Arthur W*nk stand passes a safety certificate is a mystery.

In respect of your academy producing great young players this is a classic emperors new clothes. When asked no one at Palace can put forward a list of players other than a few bench warmers at Wigan & the vertically challenged Zahaha.

You're welcome to share your opinion, but what you say is more credible when you don't just tell lies.
We have sold more season tickets than last year, and the price hasn't gone down, it has gone up. They're are about 50 quid more expensive than last year.

With regards to the academy, surely you're joking? Victor Moses isn't a benchwarmer at Wigan, he's their best player and is leaving them in the summer. Clyne is signing a contract with Man United at the end of the season. Williams is younger but looks the best of the lot. We have already turned down £7m for Zaha - so while you may think he's a diver, clearly people in football think he's an exceptional talent :)

You're welcome to share your opinion, but what you say is more credible when you don't just tell lies.
We have sold more season tickets than last year, and the price hasn't gone down, it has gone up. They're are about 50 quid more expensive than last year.

With regards to the academy, surely you're joking? Victor Moses isn't a benchwarmer at Wigan, he's their best player and is leaving them in the summer. Clyne is signing a contract with Man United at the end of the season. Williams is younger but looks the best of the lot. We have already turned down £7m for Zaha - so while you may think he's a diver, clearly people in football think he's an exceptional talent :)

When you say "sold" are you taking into account the season tickets you "gave away" to kids whose parents purchased one?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
When you say "sold" are you taking into account the season tickets you "gave away" to kids whose parents purchased one?

This is only in the family stand, which is by far the smallest. We have given away just over 150 free tickets to u-10's. Most adults dont have ST's in the family stand, and normally the kids outnumber the adults in there.

This is only in the family stand, which is by far the smallest. We have given away just over 150 free tickets to u-10's. Most adults dont have ST's in the family stand, and normally the kids outnumber the adults in there.

I should imagine the empty seats outnumber the kids also.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I should imagine the empty seats outnumber the kids also.

They dont :)

When did you lot suddenly become so interested in attenda...oh, wait, I get it, you're not getting 6000 fans any more so you're showing off :)

They dont :)

When did you lot suddenly become so interested in attenda...oh, wait, I get it, you're not getting 6000 fans any more so you're showing off :)

Well of course we are, and I would fully expect you to the same when, or should I say, If, you get your new ground.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Your attendances are not on the up - the fact you mask your true attendances by counting absent season ticket holders as present clouds the issue. You actually had less than 10k for a midweek game against Bristol City, that unofficial figure was admitted by the Club We have been doing that for years, so it does not change the average, and the Bristol City game! are you sure? I was there and it looked pretty much the same as most evening games TBH.

This year you have tried all measure of ideas to get bigger crowds - all of them include reducing prices = reduced income. You even flogged next years season tickets at a reduced price.Again we have done that for a few years now, and that must be aplauded trying to get people in the ground as football is so over priced!

You attendances are heavily boosted by away fans numbers - such as West ham 5k & saints 6k - though you turned down this opportunity for Millwall & the Albion.That happens every season, in fact I would say away numbers have reduced a lot this season with a few teams bringing just a handful of fans, now that might be because the ground is crap or more likely, to many evening games this season

You need to address the appalling conditions at Selhurst as a priority - how the Arthur W*nk stand passes a safety certificate is a mystery.I cannot deny that, but we want to spend our money wisely as you know what can happen.

I know we bang on about it but we do have a high % of producing players that make a good living in football, not all at high level but a good level, take a look at other youth set ups and you will see that many players drop away at about 18/19 even in the prem.

So overall not as bad as you like to make out but BHA have done really well this season, and we cant deny that..so for this season you are ahead of us...we can read the bloody league tables you know!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here