Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Caole and Frutos REALLY any good?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
When defending Mcghee I notice the same argument crops up again and again from some people.....but he did sign Frutos and Carole.

Now that the honeymoon period has passed with these players, some serious deficiencies seem to be cropping up..

Both players are lightweight
Neither can get back and defend
Both drift in and out of games (classic trait of a winger)
Both cannot cross to save their lives
Both are fast but not quite quick enough.
and both seem to be luxury players in our current predicament.

Now after watching Lutons wingers the other day against Liverpool it made me think what quality wingers actually play like, direct, good ball in the box, I just don't think our Frenchman are delivering this kind of quality. Carole, for example, bloody skilful, exciting to watch but just doesn't seem to have the cutting edge, he's almost a poor mans Leon Knight because I believe Knight is capable of playing as well as him on the wing but also has the forward prowess as well.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Carole does the fancy stuff but his final ball is bloody woeful. He skinned the Coventry defenders about 4 times in the first half and cross is a pathetic ball noone had a chance of getting.

I think Carole would get into 18 of the championship sides but Frutos would get into about 4.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Uncle Spielberg said:
Carole does the fancy stuff but his final ball is bloody woeful. He skinned the Coventry defenders about 4 times in the first half and cross is a pathetic ball noone had a chance of getting.

I think Carole would get into 18 of the championship sides but Frutos would get into about 4.

Carole is class. Jury's out on Fruity.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Not sure if it's just me but Frutos does seem to drift out the game after half time. He has a blinding first half, decent runs, shots, crosses etc. But can't keep it up second half. Maybe it's due to his and the teams fitness and not being able to play like that for 90 minutes, but it always seems to be him that fades the most IMO

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
mcshane in the 79th said:
Not sure if it's just me but Frutos does seem to drift out the game after half time. He has a blinding first half, decent runs, shots, crosses etc. But can't keep it up second half. Maybe it's due to his and the teams fitness and not being able to play like that for 90 minutes, but it always seems to be him that fades the most IMO

Sounds about right, mind you I reckon by the end of the season it will be Frutos that will have had the better season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Only need one winger on the pitch. One of the two will have to learn to play midfield, or better that we sign a midfielder.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Regardless of whether they are any good from an objective point of view, i think they both definitely add creativity to the team. The 'edge' they are missing is strikers who will finish their good work/stick their crosses into the back of the net - although whether any striker we can get would be able to do that under McGhee's tactics is the big worry for me...

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
They are both excellent players. They spent all afternoon putting in perfect crosses on Saturday.

dwayne said:
When defending Mcghee I notice the same argument crops up again and again from some people.....but he did sign Frutos and Carole.

Now that the honeymoon period has passed with these players, some serious deficiencies seem to be cropping up..

Both players are lightweight
Neither can get back and defend
Both drift in and out of games (classic trait of a winger)
Both cannot cross to save their lives
Both are fast but not quite quick enough.
and both seem to be luxury players in our current predicament.

Now after watching Lutons wingers the other day against Liverpool it made me think what quality wingers actually play like, direct, good ball in the box, I just don't think our Frenchman are delivering this kind of quality. Carole, for example, bloody skilful, exciting to watch but just doesn't seem to have the cutting edge, he's almost a poor mans Leon Knight because I believe Knight is capable of playing as well as him on the wing but also has the forward prowess as well.

Bad time to make that argument I think Dwayne.

Frutos is playing very well at the moment. I've been a critic of some of his defending (Palace home 2nd goal, Reading away 1st goal) and wanted him dropped after that Reading game, but I'm glad McGhee has stuck with him. It was his work that got us back into the Saints game and almost gave us the lead with a brilliant shot which Niemi saved. And he was terribly unlucky not to give us the lead against Coventry the other day with a charge into the box and a great tip over the bar from Clayton Ince. That moment beat anything our forwards could produce.

I think he is getting better with his defensive work, he put in some good tackles against Coventry and wasn't beaten.

Carole has been unsurprisingly a bit flat since his injury but showed good signs of a return to form. Don't DARE compare him to Knight's efforts on the wing, that were so poor and energy-less that McGhee had to cut his losses and put him back up front. Carole's goal against Hull was up there with CKR's great goals and turned the game our way, that is why he is a special player.

Honestly Dwayne, it's a sign of NSC's usual January blues that you are starting to question one of the few bits of the team that is working pretty well. Haven't we enough scapegoats already?

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
I think our lack of goals is more to do with the weakness of the CM and the strikers. Carole and Fruity are the only quality attack minded players that we have. I feel either one of them would grace teams above us in the league and once they fully adjust to the CCC may go on to better things.

On the crossing side of things both need to work at it, but the poor movement of the various strikers and the generally poor state of the Withdean pitch also need to be taken into account. Defensively both could be better, but when we insist on playing converted midfield players or Kerry at full back, you could argue that it must restrict their creativity knowing that the fullbacks are weak behind them, so it works both ways.

Often when either gets in a good position they have only one to aim at and rarely do they have anyone arriving from CM to provide an option.
Crossing is that much harder when you only have one guy to hit...

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Well I call this JUMPING on the bandwagon as I said last August that the pair of Frogs were both USELESS and add nothing to the team :angry: :angry: :angry:
With Carole it is the Emperors new clothes syndrome , someone says he is class and everyone else except the voice of freedom that is ERNEST agrees.
Tell me this between them, how many match winning performances have the FROGS provided ? NONE.
I say book the pair of them ONE way tickets on Eurostar and get a couple of TRIED and TESTED English lads in :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Ernest said:
Well I call this JUMPING on the bandwagon as I said last August that the pair of Frogs were both USELESS and add nothing to the team :angry: :angry: :angry:
With Carole it is the Emperors new clothes syndrome , someone says he is class and everyone else except the voice of freedom that is ERNEST agrees.
Tell me this between them, how many match winning performances have the FROGS provided ? NONE.
I say book the pair of them ONE way tickets on Eurostar and get a couple of TRIED and TESTED English lads in :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

could anyone be more boring than you?

BG excluded of course.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No they are shit, as is the whole team and set up. Magoo and Dk out :)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I quite like the style of Frutos, he seems to work quite hard, and occasionaly his crosses are quite decent...

Carole on the other hand is flair, but cannot cross a ball to save his life, which is most frutstrating. Still needs to shoot more, his goals against Leeds and Hull suggest he's got a damn good strike on him.

Withdean Wanderer said:
I quite like the style of Frutos, he seems to work quite hard, and occasionaly his crosses are quite decent...

Carole on the other hand is flair, but cannot cross a ball to save his life, which is most frutstrating. Still needs to shoot more, his goals against Leeds and Hull suggest he's got a damn good strike on him.

He probably doesn't strike the ball as well as Frutos, that's true.

In the Coventry game he carried the ball a good 50 yards, dancing his way past bemused Coventry players in his usual way and remarkably got through on goal without anyone gettign near him. But his shot was straight at Ince, probably a yard or two either side it would have been goal of the season.

Frustrating, yes, but we are only highlighting this because our forwards can't score. Carole would be too good to be true if he was a prolific goalscorer too.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Who's Caole?

:p

Presenting JoJo Caole of the Phillipines

27390202.116_1658.jpg

(He's good with computers)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Individually I would say yes they are, together they are a luxury that we can't afford at the moment I would play one or the other to start off and have the 2nd one on the bench to bring on if needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here