Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applying for a second nationality

1066gull

Apparently I am eligible for a Dutch passport even though I have never lived in the country.

Anyone no what sort of process there is I have to go through?

One of my friends at uni, who is Tunisian has three nationalities. Tunisian, his place of birth, Malaysia (I think, he lived there and has business their himself) and UK.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Contact the Dutch Embassy, they're more likely to know than NSC is.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Get hold of the Dutch embassy and they will be able to advise.

Out of interest Aids why do you want a dual nationality anyway?

Bloody hell Frutos that's 3 times you got in there first lately :lolol:

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Get in touch with the Dutch Embassy in London - they will send you out a pack which explains it all.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why even bother? As an EU citizen you have the right to reside in any other EU country, vote, claim benefits and so on (after a certain length of time) without all the rigmarole of having a second nationality.

I myself am British but also have the right to reside anywhere because I really am so much a man of the world and a super lover of ladies of all nations.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Why even bother? As an EU citizen you have the right to reside in any other EU country, vote, claim benefits and so on (after a certain length of time) without all the rigmarole of having a second nationality.

I myself am British but also have the right to reside anywhere because I really am so much a man of the world and a super lover of ladies of all nations.

:lolol: Cheers Buzzer i can guarantee your cheeky posts to cheer me up

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I don't think you can hold both passports if its an EU country - e.g. you would not be able to hold a full British passport whilst holding a Dutch one. In effect, single nationality.

That said, The Oracle (wikipedia...) says:

"Although Dutch law restricts dual citizenship, it is possible for Dutch citizens to legally hold dual citizenship in a number of circumstances, including:
those who acquire another citizenship at the time of birth (for example, a child born to Dutch parents in the United States would hold both U.S. and Dutch citizenship)."

Anyway - do you want to be Dutch? Its likely to cost a fair bit of money, for f*** all gain, and having two passports on you when travelling is likely to have you detained for 48 days of 'investigation'...

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
One of my friends at uni, who is Tunisian has three nationalities. Tunisian, his place of birth, Malaysia (I think, he lived there and has business their himself) and UK.

Malaysia does not recognize dual nationality and it is criminal offence for Malaysians to have multiple passports. Malaysians found holding dual citizenship are automatically stripped of their Malaysian citizenship.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Apparently I am eligible for a Dutch passport even though I have never lived in the country.

Anyone no what sort of process there is I have to go through?

You do know that having a dutch passport makes it legal for you to smoke marijuana in the UK dont you.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Actually yeah scrap that. It's not actually true Aids.

Otherwise we'd all be looking for dutch relatives!!

lol too right we would. If Adrie got nicked for it im sure his defence would be "some fella called Chez from the internet told me I could do it"!

Stumpy Tim

Malaysia does not recognize dual nationality and it is criminal offence for Malaysians to have multiple passports. Malaysians found holding dual citizenship are automatically stripped of their Malaysian citizenship.

Beat me to it. My wife is Malaysian and would have to renounce her citizenship to become British or Australian.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

hahaha

I least I know a few phrases though, even if it is poor!

And i dont do a stupid accent to impress (like my blimming irritating mother!)

APPARENTLY, although I take it from that 2nd comment, your mother is Dutch, but you are still not sure about dual nationality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here