Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

apple ipods - what do you think ?

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
I want to get one but don't know where to get the best deal. I was looking on e-bay but dont know if it is safe to buy on there as there is only one on there with a highest bid of £25 with £30 postage packing and i don't know if it is that safe to buy .... what does everyone think considering they are about £220 in shops.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Best to find someone who is travelling abroad and get them to buy one from Dixons on their way out of the UK then bring it back. I bought the 40gb this way for £330 instead of £399 as you don't pay any VAT on it.

If you get one from the USA you will need a different plug adaptor to charge it.

They are fantastic, if I could teach it to give me a blow job I would divorce the wife for it

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
:clap2: not bothering with the mini one

i'm gonna go for the second biggest ipod (when i can scrape a bit of money together) oooooooooh yeah

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have the mini one. 4Gb is plenty, considering my music archive on my PC is up to 30 Gb already it wouldn't be long til I have more than the 40Gb so I went for the new more portable one and have my favorite 750 tunes on there.

Mini is much cheaper too, I got mine from the US for 140 quid. Yes the charger has the wrong plug on it but I carge it through my PC anyway so it doesn't matter.

In general an Ipod is THE must have gadget.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
As others have said, the best bet is to find someone going to the States who'll pick you one up, either there or in duty free (though of course any non-EU destination traveller can do that).

In terms of aesthetic design, I think they're fantastic. In terms of technology (10,000 songs in something that big), I also think they're fantastic.

But I don't own one.

Reason: I like to listen to music in two contexts: at home on my top notch Linn system, or in the car. Quality is really important to me, as is being surrounded by the sound. I just don't like sticking two little buds in my ears for a tinny reproduction while I'm, for example, on the bus for 10 minutes - it's not really how I like to enjoy music.

[I'm also a little fed up of people ostentatiously flashing them round at the moment, in a "Ooh look at me, I've got an i-Pod" way. but that's just my personal prejudice!]

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
They are ace - although Im getting a little annoyed with the battery in mine.

And of you get one, get new ear phones asap. Not only are the apple ones a beacon for muggers, the sound quality (esp bass) is shite!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Agreed Faldo, the supplied earphones are rubbish. I don't understand why Apple market such a great high end music player and sell it with such poor ear phones.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Is there any point in getting one if you don't have an amazing computer at home and broadband? I'm thinking all I would be able to do would be to copy all of my CDs onto it and that would take forever.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I'm using an old laptop to download / convert my CDs - yes it takes a while but its a labour of love......

ahhhhh.....

And to answer your battery query - i think its 4 hours from 8 hour charge. Is that right? You can buy an additional battery pack as well.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think my ipod is fantastic, I have an adapter for the car and an FM transmitter so I can listen to it through the car stereo, superb

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I have had the 20gb one for quite some time now, I still have room for about another 1000 songs, fantastic piece of ass. It is quality to use in the car as Superphil says.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Its the battery life that is a major problem. Four to five hours max and its in need of a re charge. My first version has already died completley and had to be replaced under warrenty. So get the extended warrenty what ever you do.

Otherwise brilliant!

Vicar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here