Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apparently we're signing Chris Birchall

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Times & Star

Played for Carlisle, on loan from Coventry and is the Trinidad and Tobago international.

Only read it on that website but interesting...

* Times & Star

Birchall stuns Carlisle United with move to Brighton

By Jon Colman

Last updated 12:24, Monday, 05 January 2009

FORMER Carlisle United target Chris Birchall has stunned the Blues by joining their League One relegation rivals Brighton – just days after telling the club he was heading for America.
cbirch
Carlisle's Chris Birchall, in one of his two games off the bench, fends off Huddersfield's Jonathan Worthington

The Trinidad & Tobago international has linked up with the Seagulls on a week’s trial and is set to be offered a deal at the Withdean.

Birchall quit United last week, informing manager Greg Abbott that he had received a lucrative financial offer from a top USA team, which can now be revealed to be San Jose Earthquakes.

But news of Brighton’s move has surprised the Brunton Park manager, although he today insisted he was “not too upset” by the surprise developments.

“Maybe he was just upset he wasn’t playing for us,” said Abbott, who gave the ex-Port Vale man only two sub appearances in his month-long Carlisle loan stay.

“Maybe the financial deal we were offering wasn’t what he was looking for. He was talking about America but maybe he has now decided that is a last resort.

“He tells me one thing and does another. That is up to him. I deal in a straight-forward way with people. Chris Birchall has done something he said he wasn’t going to do.

“But put it this way – I am not too upset about it.”

Abbott had expected to tie Birchall up on a permanent transfer after agreeing a deal with Coventry to take over the 24-year-old’s contract to the end of the season.

The Soca Warrior is still weighing up the America offer but the lure of linking up with his former Sky Blues boss Micky Adams at Brighton may prove tempting.

“It’s a massive decision for me to make as far as my career goes and it’s one which Ill have to think very carefully about and decide in maybe two weeks,” Birchall told a T&T football website.

“I’m in a far better position now than I was at Coventry because both these new offers can be beneficial for me but I’ve got to take a good look along with my agent and see which is the better one.

“The fact that going to the US will mean I’m closer to Trinidad is definitely something that I will think about and fitness wise I’m not worried because I will definitely be active in England before the MLS season starts. But I’m heading to Brighton on Monday for a week because my old manager Micky Adams wants me there and if I do well enough in that time then there’s the possibility of them putting a decent deal on the table.”

ABBOTT insisted he had no complaints over the decision to postpone Saturday’s League One clash with Walsall due to an area of the Brunton Park pitch being frozen.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I bloody hope so.

:bowdown: we've got a Trinidad international :bowdown:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cor, sounds like a right mercenary bastard though dunnie.

Thats footballers though I suppose.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I bloody hope so.

:bowdown: we've got a Trinidad international :bowdown:

Birchall,_Chris.jpg

Doesn't look very Trinidadian though!! Thought he would be black with dreadlocks!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Cor, sounds like a right mercenary bastard though dunnie.

Thats footballers though I suppose.
Well he was only on loan there, and his loan was up. He wasn't actually obliged to tell them ANYTHING. Maybe the American thing was his only offer and then we came in? :shrug:

Darren Currie strung us along making us believe he was going to sign, whereas Birchall told them he was going, he's just gone somewhere different (possibly). It doesn't matter to them, either way he wasn't there.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Well he was only on loan there, and his loan was up. He wasn't actually obliged to tell them ANYTHING. Maybe the American thing was his only offer and then we came in? :shrug:

Darren Currie strung us along making us believe he was going to sign, whereas Birchall told them he was going, he's just gone somewhere different (possibly). It doesn't matter to them, either way he wasn't there.

Tbf to Currie he was offered an extra year there and at that stage in his career its obviously quite important

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
A midfielder... nice!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm sure we were after him 2 Januarys ago - does anybody else remember this?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm sure we were after him 2 Januarys ago - does anybody else remember this?

using the SEARCH button we were linked with him in the Summer and theres a thread about Adam Birchall (did'nt bother reading it) plus a few other threads with T&T in the title.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
using the SEARCH button we were linked with him in the Summer and theres a thread about Adam Birchall (did'nt bother reading it) plus a few other threads with T&T in the title.

:ohmy:

I used the search button and it told me there were no matches.

:dunce:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Odd that it's not mentioned by MA even though he's more than happy to comment on two deals that aren't done yet (Anyinsah & Richards). Will take it with a pinch of salt for now.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
A midfielder... nice!

same thing I was thinking ... don't get me wrong a fantastic interest but not the answer to any of the questions we are really asking?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here