Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apocalypse Now- - overrated?

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
I watched this last night, the full rehashed DVD and I was expecting great things as I have not seen this film for some 7 or 8 years. Great cast, but I finished the film thinking well, it was ok but not quite as good as I remembered.

Does it deserve to be in the pantheon of great films or is it a complete con in that people say what a graet film as it was really one of the last big roles from Brando.

Any other films in this category - people harp on about them being classic and then you watch them and think.......oh not that great at all.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I totally agree! It's good and it has fantastic scenes but overall it's not that good. All that incredible build up...to an obese green Marlon Brando overacting in the dark.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apparently Marlon Brando insisted on adlibbing his part.....and it shows. Haven't seen it for years but I thought it was a great film completely fecked up by Brando.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm utterly in agreement here. Apocalypse Now is very much of its time, but is still incoherent shite. The story behind its making is much more interesting a tale.

I've been through this before, but i thought Schindlers List was over-rated.
And another Vietnam film: Platoon. What rubbish.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For me The Deerhunter is the best of the genre. A brilliant feel bad movie, I was stunned for hours afterwards when I walked out of the cinema after watching it.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Meade's_Ball said:
And another Vietnam film: Platoon. What rubbish.

Woah there skippy. Platoon is a great film!

Agree on Apocalypse Now being very over rated.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Platoon is a GREAT film! one of my favourite 'Nam' films! Apocalypse Clarkson is better than now!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Deer Hunter and Full Metal Jacket are ze bollocks of ze dog

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Icy Gull said:
For me The Deerhunter is the best of the genre.

Very very very very dull.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
For me it among the top three in its genre, but the full unedited version does tend to muddy the waters a bit, the original was better by far.

Platoon was ok and nothing more, as was Hamburger Hill and Full Metal Jacket. Air America was not bad too.

Crap......... Once Were Soldiers, Casualties of War, Birdy, Born on Fourth of July, Distant Thunder, Go Tell the Spartans.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Digweeds Trousers said:
ONe film that really moved me was The Thin Red Line. I thought that this was absolutely top draw.

Didn't think that Once were Soldiers was that bad.

Wasn't Thin red Line about WWII?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
The Deer Hunter = Bilge
Ful Metal Jacket = GREAT!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The Deerhunter is beautiful.
Platoon is something we could all make to a very simple formula. It has the same emotional impact for me as Charlie Sheen's other epic: Young Guns.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think Full Metal Jacket is the nuts.

The Deer Hunter is an incredible watch. No other film about Vietnam gets right into the minds of those that where out there as well as that one instead choosing to concentrate more on the gung ho attitude that we all like to associate with the American soldiers out in 'nam.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket all superb and all looking at different aspects of the mental pain of the conflict.

Apocalypse Now really needs a cinema screen to do it justice.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I have to agree that The Deer hunter is one of my fave and IMHO one the best war films I have seen.

The way it portrays a group of friends who have grown up together and mucking about and having a laugh, for the war to then change their manners and outlook on life on return!!

Pure genius!!

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here