Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anything GOOD come out of the credit crunch?

Lush

Mods' Pet
I know that a lot of people are suffering and I don't mean this to sound heartless but is there anything GOOD to come out of this financial wake-up call?

1) I've heard that a lot of men, for example engineers working in the car industry and other manufacturing industries are now considering going into teaching instead. Kids in schools could end up with more male role models who have experience of other work and life, which has got to be a good thing.

2) For years now we've had enormous car parks of thousands of new cars that no-one wants to buy. Perhaps this will now stop. (Also encouraged by new non polluting hydrogen-driven car shown on Top Gear last night).

3) Sometimes it feels as if there are far too many people involved in pushing money around, when we're crying out for people to do more meaningful jobs like social workers, teachers, nurses. How many banks do we really need?

4) Generally people seem to be thinking before they put something on their credit card. Isn't this a good thing?

A few (probably naive) thoughts anyway ... Anyone got any more?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
petrol prices continue to fall.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
More people demanding VALUE from the money they do spend. Hopefully a habit that will continue once the economy improves.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Homes becoming more affordable for first-time buyers

This is a good thing. If prices stayed at where they were 18 months ago, I cannot see how any first-time buyer could ever got a foot on the housing ladder.

Only problem is, that now younger people can afford houses, nobody is willing to give them a morgage. So, the problem has not entirely gone away yet.
:thud:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is a good thing. If prices stayed at where they were 18 months ago, I cannot see how any first-time buyer could ever got a foot on the housing ladder.

Only problem is, that now younger people can afford houses, nobody is willing to give them a morgage. So, the problem has not entirely gone away yet.
:thud:
And when credit becomes more available again, the problem will resurface.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

True, but is it becoming easier to buy for first time buyers? Isn't it bloody difficult to get a mortgage now without having thousands of savings? Not saying that is necessarily a bad thing given that it was the banks lending money willy nilly that got us in this pickle in the first place.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
True, but is it becoming easier to buy for first time buyers? Isn't it bloody difficult to get a mortgage now without having thousands of savings?

Never said it was easy. But getting a deposit together usually involves having to get a sizeable deposit together anyway. Would hope that the fall in house prices together with the need for developers to attact first-time buyers to their new builds with some pretty hefty incentive schemes might allow many more people to buy their first home than would otherwise have been the case.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
1. Fewer estate Agents (and other worthless middle men)
2. The demise of Inside Track and their ilk (brainwashing buy-to-let seminars)
3. The end of dinner party property bores, endlessly telling you how rich they are.
4. Watching buy-to-let empires collapse (with no apology for shaudenfreud)
5. House prices returning to long-term average of 3 times annual salary, making them affordable for first time buyers, key workers and all the good guys.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
More people seeking qualifications at university.

As a graduate, I would agrue this is a bad thing. I went to University, because the government told me that it would make me a more employable person.

More people now have a degree and (due to the credit crunch) less graduates are being taken on. Therefore a University my degree is now officially worthless.

I wish I just went straight into work at 16 - I would probably be in a better job by now and would now have £10,000 debt.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
At a time of economic melt down and financial crisis, all were asked to look deep within themselves to haul themselves out of trouble. Souls were searched, heart was needed. Courage, bravery, self belief and most importantly, inspiration had to be found.

Some people wanted to throw in the towel, some people didn’t want the hard graft, but eventually there will be light at the end of this dark and grim tunnel. It will take time and patience, guts and love, but from all atrocities, good always shines down upon us, everyone can be inspired and once again enjoy happiness in life…. and so Hiney art was born

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm hoping it leads to the bubble finally bursting on the Premiership gravy train. THAT would be a seriously good thing to come out of it.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

Prices may be coming down but the ability for most to get a mortgage is also decreasing so its a lose-lose situation IMO.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pompey's "billionaire" owner is desperate to do a bunk back to Israel/Russia.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Condom sales are rising as cash-strapped couples opt for romantic nights in during the economic downturn.

Durex reported a 10 per cent rise in sales to £126.4 million in the last six months to September 30.

Analysts believe the reason for the increase is that a night under the covers is cheaper than a night on the tiles.

Sales of its 'Play' range, which includes lubricants and vibrators, also rose by more than 27 per cent.

A company spokesman said sales in the UK, France, Eastern Europe, Russia and China were particularly strong.

The increases saw the firm's pre-tax profits increase by almost 50 per cent to more than £30 million.

Ocado, the online retailer, also reported a 60 per cent increase in sales across its range of contraceptives.

The company's finance director, Jason Gissing, said: "We're definitely seeing a rise in people staying in more, entertaining, cooking and clearly making their own fun."

He also suggested that another reason for the increase was that many couples are taking more precautions because they cannot risk the financial burden of more children.

Asda has also witnessed a nine per cent rise in condom sales, while 20 per cent more pregnancy test kits are disappearing off the supermarket's shelves.

A spokesman said: "We've noticed a real uplift in condom sales recently.

"Our conclusion is that people are staying in more and romancing rather than getting a table for two at a restaurant.

"Further proof is our tea light candles are up 50 per cent, champagne 20 per cent and oysters eight per cent and slippers and dressing gowns 22 per cent."

High street chain Superdrug has also seen a rise in sales of condoms, while business in "sexual enhancers" increased trebled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here