Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone working or has worked on the rigs?

stevenseagull

Apr 7, 2012
Worthing
Sorry to post this here guys, but I'm looking at a change of career and considering working offshore. Just wanted some advice or contacts to help me get the ball rolling.

I'm a qualified mechanical engineer and I'm currently a self-employed plumber, I'm hoping some of my skills are transferable. But I realise I may have to start at the bottom and work my way up.

I know that I need to take a survival course before I even get considered for a job and before I shell out on it I wanted to know if I stood a chance of getting a job? I understand that experience is key and getting your foot in the door is the toughest part.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
PM Jakarta, Jez is a H&S advisor and frequently does work on rigs in the North Sea

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Bummer, I can't seem to PM him...

Sorry, for some reason my PM setting was Off! Please feel free to get in touch although I have to say my Offshore work has been sporadic and is coming to and end very soon as I am getting too old and lazy to do the HUET.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Don't know about now...but in 1974 went to Great Yarmouth...walked into the International Drilling Co...American firm asked if they had any jobs,they said did I have any sea experience to which I replied 12 years Royal Navy...flew out the very next day on a Sea King from North Denes airport....spent 4 years out there on rigs and barges...loved it....but you have to be 100% fit not just to work there but for insurance cover as well...worked 2 weeks on 10 days off but you could stay out there if you wish,once stayed out for 5 months...money was great but a very hard 12 slog...sometimes a couple of hours overtime.

stevenseagull

Apr 7, 2012
Worthing
Thanks, it's good to hear about your experience. I doubt Ill be able to land a job as easily as you did but Ill give it a go! I'm not under any illusions about how hard the work is, I just want to work hard and reap the rewards...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here