Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone know the LAW re: motability scooters being used on roads?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I keep seeing people using these machines on the road and would assume they have no insurance etc., so am surprised there hasn't been a crackdown on them. Perhaps the authorities are waiting for a few fatalities before doing anything about them?

I'm all for equality etc., but most pavements in Brighton and Hove have been lowered at junctions, so there is no need for them to go on the road...

I have approached them on 40mph limit roads, and they are very hard to see, and cause unnecessary evasive action to be taken...

A small grumble tbf, but I wouldn't want anyone injured unnecessarily :thumbsup:

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
I keep seeing people using these machines on the road and would assume they have no insurance etc., so am surprised there hasn't been a crackdown on them. Perhaps the authorities are waiting for a few fatalities before doing anything about them?

I'm all for equality etc., but most pavements in Brighton and Hove have been lowered at junctions, so there is no need for them to go on the road...

I have approached them on 40mph limit roads, and they are very hard to see, and cause unnecessary evasive action to be taken...

A small grumble tbf, but I wouldn't want anyone injured unnecessarily :thumbsup:

Don't know the law but I use an electric wheelchair and know that a lot of pavements are shit and sometimes go on the road because of this.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Anyone know the LAW re: motability scooters being used on roads?

A small grumble tbf, but I wouldn't want anyone injured unnecessarily

But surely you can see that they wouln't be able to go so fast on the pavements for fear of knocking down a pedestrian who wasn't quite quick enough to get out of the way !

Last edited:

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I believe it is allowed as long as they are insured and have a tax disc, I think they have to be over a certain power as well.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Don't know the law but I use an electric wheelchair and know that a lot of pavements are shit and sometimes go on the road because of this.

Funny you should say that, as I drive on the roads, and walk on the pavements, and would probably stick to them as they are tbf :smile:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Originally posted by Uwinsc

I believe it is allowed as long as they are insured and have a tax disc, I think they have to be over a certain power as well.

Which I believe is the answer - don't think I have ever seen one with a RFL as for insurance (facepalm)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They don't travel on pavements in case HB&B comes along and kicks them.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
The law states that as long as you have lights and indicators and is capable of 8mph, you are allowed on the road. You have to be showing a current tax disc (issued free from DVLA) You DO NOT have to have insurance. Although I do have insurance for third parties. You can also travel on dual carriageways, as for pavement use, you are limited to 4mph. But there are morons who do irresponsible things, and that gives the rest of us a bad name. I will be riding mine to the Amex, in a responsible manner, but after a couple at the bar afterwards, not sure about coming home lol.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Originally posted by Uwinsc

Which I believe is the answer - don't think I have ever seen one with a RFL as for insurance (facepalm)

Are you saying they don't have insurance? Can I ask what you know about it? The lady I am a PA to has 3rd party insurance on her power chair in the same way you would on a car. As for RFL I believe (although I'm not sure) that they don't have to pay but do have to have a disc. There is one I see regularly on the roads that has a tax disc displayed.
All this only applies if you drive it on the road but insurance is often recommended anyway.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
The law states that as long as you have lights and indicators and is capable of 8mph, you are allowed on the road. You have to be showing a current tax disc (issued free from DVLA) You DO NOT have to have insurance. Although I do have insurance for third parties. You can also travel on dual carriageways, as for pavement use, you are limited to 4mph. But there are morons who do irresponsible things, and that gives the rest of us a bad name. I will be riding mine to the Amex, in a responsible manner, but after a couple at the bar afterwards, not sure about coming home lol.

I'm suprised about insurance but fair enough. Would seem a bit mad to do it without!

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
You can also travel on dual carriageways, as for pavement use, you are limited to 4mph. But there are morons who do irresponsible things, and that gives the rest of us a bad name. QUOTE]

Apologies but driving on a Dual Carriageway at 8mph IS irresponsible.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Unfortunately some mobility scooter users appear to be a nuisance, however those of you who are able bodied and do not need to use one are only seeing one side here - the majority of powered wheelchair/mobility scooter users use the vehicles as their only form of independance, it's not only car drivers that can't see past their own ignorance as to why people use them. Unfortunately many users needing one by definition are disabled, and as such do not have the same awareness as an able bodied person thus causing friction and causing "the look" followed by a tut, huff or a comment aimed at the scooter user.

With reference to the op's question, there are 3 classes of scooter of which class 3 are allowed on the road providing it has lights, indicators, mirrors, and is registered with dvla so must display a number plate and tax disc, to obtain the free tax disc the scooter must be insured minimum third party only cover as per the law for any roadgoing vehicle that displays a tax disc.

Regardless of the state of the pavements the biggest problem I have seen my mrs have is when car drivers park across the limited drop kerbs there are, or by parking with 2 wheels on the pavement blocking it to scooter and wheelchair users.

The vast majority of users are responsible and courteous, the vast majority of drivers are not in my experience.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I still use a self propelled wheelchair and I can also vouch for the fact that the pavements are shit and loads of the so-called dropped curbs are just about impossible to get up so I often find myself having to go down the road until I find a suitable place to get back on the pavement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here