Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone had polystyrene beads CWI?

Time is fast running out to have cavity walls insulated for free, which I have put off doing partly because of concerns over possible damp penetration. I'm considering loose beads, but I'm wondering if these are available under the free scheme and whether installers insist on injecting the bonding agent with them. I don't want this as I want to easily remove them if needed.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If no bonding agent is used, what happens when a boiler engineer drills a hole for the flue vent, or you need to vent the tumble dryer etc, its all going to fall out.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I had them in my previous house for about 3 years before we moved out and there were no signs of damp whatsoever,the house was surveyed by the people buying it and again,no damp found.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
We've had the beads with the bonding agent and no problems at all. The bonding agent does not turn the beads into a solid block think of it more like beads in jelly. No damp so far so. I would say go for it certainly noticed a difference in the heat retention of the house.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I had the beads installed last year, for free, and they're ok, so long as they 'treat' every air brick properly. One of mine was not 'treated' and the beads are still coming out now. I've probably got an empty cavity (ooer missus) above this air brick!

I had the beads installed last year, for free, and they're ok, so long as they 'treat' every air brick properly. One of mine was not 'treated' and the beads are still coming out now.
So you are saying no bonding agent was used; did they offer it/put you off it/decline your request for it? Were you offered any incentive for not having it? Through which power company did you have it done for free?

Last edited:

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
So you are saying no bonding agent was used; did they offer it/put you off it/decline your request for it? Were you offered any incentive for not having it? Through which power company did you have it done for free?

They did use a bonding agent, but it is only a very light sort of glue and if they don't replace the air bricks and put a sort of brush ring around the opening (inside the cavity) the breeze through the air brick blows the balls off one at a time. I suppose for every one that comes out on the outside, one goes inside,under the floor, also. It was installed through Brighton and Hove Council. I realy should get back to them I suppose...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here