Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone had a good experience of Tunisia

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I've only really heard people say they wouldn't go back again.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I wasn't keen although not quite so reactionary to say I'd never go back (probably won't though but only because I like other places more) - I have friends who return there every year and think it's fantastic.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
i went to hammeht? dodgy spelling, lovely and hot but a shit hole, food is shit, beer is crap....and lots of beggers on the streets, told not to leave hotel resort at night time.....never ever would go back there.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Is Morocco on par with Tunisia you reckon?

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Went ther with tjemissus about ten years ago, to Hammamet Warned to stay wihin the hotel complex at night. on the beach, you are constantly harassed, but not. Major issue.

Went to. Local Market, and. Guy offered to take our photo with "my" camera. Great, until he tried to charge me and got all uppity about it when I wouldn't lay him. Probably me being naiive.

Loved the haggling at the local Market though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Without doubt the worst country I have ever been to. If you have young daughters you might end up grabbing one of the dirty, leering, smarmy gits round the throat like I did as well.

dexter

Apr 25, 2011
why would you go there its full of tunisians and you know what they say about tunisians

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Depends upon what you are looking for.

There are some decent resorts although those were not generally where we were as we went on a tour of the 'highlights'

If you are interested in Roman artefacts and sites, then, like Libya you are in for a treat as places like Douga and El Jem are fantastic. The former is an old very well preserved Roman town and El Jem has a Colliseum second (if that) to Rome itself.

We visited various places including Berber villages underground, and reached the edge of the Sahara Desert. The hotels we stayed in were fantastic, modern, marbled and excellent food. Make sure you ride on a camel the correct way otherwise you end up unable to walk for half a day.

Message me if you want to hear more

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

There are some decent resorts although those were not generally where we were as we went on a tour of the 'highlights'

If you are interested in Roman artefacts and sites, then, like Libya you are in for a treat as places like Douga and El Jem are fantastic. The former is an old very well preserved Roman town and El Jem has a Colliseum second (if that) to Rome itself.

We visited various places including Berber villages underground, and reached the edge of the Sahara Desert. The hotels we stayed in were fantastic, modern, marbled and excellent food. Make sure you ride on a camel the correct way otherwise you end up unable to walk for half a day.

Message me if you want to hear more

Yea i much prefer taking in ancient sites and ruins. I have also rode a camel but only for two minutes in Turkey. I would prefer to go to a place where i'm not advised to stay in after dark for personal safety.

Current UK Foreign Office advice about Tunisia:-

Travel Summary

Most visits to Tunisia are trouble free, but all travellers should be aware of the current political and security situation, restrictions imposed, and the impact of the unrest in neighbouring Libya.

The curfew imposed in Greater Tunis following two days of protest on 7 May has been lifted with effect from Wednesday 18 May.

It has been reported that at least two members of the Tunisian Security forces were killed during a clash with a group of armed men in Siliana (northern Tunisia) on 18 May. There is a general threat from terrorism in Tunisia. Attacks cannot be ruled out and could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by British expatriates and foreign travellers. See Safety and Security - Terrorism Section.

A State of Emergency exists and curfews or other temporary movement restrictions may be imposed or changed with little or no notice. You should observe instructions given by local security authorities and/or your tour operator. You are advised to carry a copy of your passport, or other form of photo ID, at all times as proof of nationality and identity.

The number and frequency of incidents of unrest since the “Jasmine Revolution” in January 2011 has diminished. Public order returned in many places, including the main tourist coastal areas, but political demonstrations and industrial protests still occur. If you are travelling to Tunisia you should take responsibility for your own security and stay away from demonstrations and large gatherings of people. We also recommend that you are vigilant when near public buildings (such as Government offices or the Presidential Palace). The centre of Tunis, in particular the Khasbah, Place du Governement and Avenue Bourgiba, and the centres of other large towns and cities are the focus for most protests but demonstrations could happen anywhere at any time. While foreigners have not been targeted, there is a risk of incidental violence if you are caught up in a demonstration that does not pass peacefully.

There have been several incidents of live fire and shells landing on Tunisian soil at the western Libya/Tunisia border crossing of Dehiba, most recently on 14 June. There is also a large humanitarian response to the unrest in Libya near the southern border crossing of Ras Jadir. Over 200,000 people have crossed from Libya into Tunisia since January. Several thousand displaced people are currently in a transit camp near the border awaiting repatriation. We advise against all travel to Libya. We also advise against all but essential travel to areas of Tunisia within 40km of the Libyan border. See Safety and Security – Libyan Border . This restriction in our travel advice does not affect the main tourist resorts in Tunisia.

British nationals crossing the border from Libya into Tunisia are encouraged to contact the Embassy in Tunis on (216) 71 108 700. Tunisian immigration officials at both borders, and at the Information Office at Ras Jadir, can also provide contact telephone numbers for British Nationals who require assistance. Consular officials are on standby to help.

If you are in, or travelling to, Tunisia, register with our online registration service, LOCATE at: Registration of British citizens Travelling Overseas to tell us when and where you are travelling or where you live. This will enable our consular and crisis staff to provide better assistance to you in the event that the political situation deteriorates.

Tunisia travel advice

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

This.

I thought it was a great place, plenty to see and do.

My highlight was going to a Cheb Khaled gig in an open air arena in Sfax. I appeared to be the only white bloke in the ground (and, as such. was an object of some bemusement) but had a great time with no hint of trouble.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I went to Tunisia in about 2001, at the time I was dating a pretty fit blonde piece. We had a 5 star hotel at Port El Kantaoui, was quite a nice hotel, but that was it. The place is a hell hole. The locals are f***ing wankers they drove me mental with there constant CONSTANT cons, thieving, leering, they pretty much assaulted my girlfriend everyday, they offered me camels for her, gold coins, one even offered me his son! The food is awful, the local beer terrible. Something like a jack daniels cost about 8 quid. We were told to stay inside the hotel complex/beach, honestly it was the worst holiday of my life, I cant believe I actually paid to go there. AVOID AVOID AVOID

PICTURE TAKEN IN FRANCE 98 AROUND A HOUR LATER THE TUNISIANS ATTACKED ENGLISH FANS ON THE BEACH! LOTS OF KNIFE POINT MUGGINGS ETC!:moo: LOVELY PEOPLE:thumbsup:

Attachments

• scan0060.jpg
    scan0060.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 150

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here