Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone got a worse Leeds-related story than this?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Didn't finish work till 7am, and decided (BAD FAN) that bed took priority, so planned to catch up on the sleep, do the food shopping, then slope off home and listen to the Leeds game on SCR in comfort.

Unfortunately, as I trundled aimlessly up the bakery aisle in Sainsbury's, early afternoon, some little old lady keeled over in front of me, crashed against my trolley, and dropped dead at my feet
:eek:

Decided not to bother listening to the phone-in after I eventually got home :(

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
:( I can't beat that, luckily.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Didn't finish work till 7am, and decided (BAD FAN) that bed took priority, so planned to catch up on the sleep, do the food shopping, then slope off home and listen to the Leeds game on SCR in comfort.

Unfortunately, as I trundled aimlessly up the bakery aisle in Sainsbury's, early afternoon, some little old lady keeled over in front of me, crashed against my trolley, and dropped dead at my feet

The amount of times I`ve heard that.......................... I never touched her..........

Right. She just dropped dead at my feet.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The amount of times I`ve heard that.......................... I never touched her..........

Right. She just dropped dead at my feet.

Funny thing is, I did get a phone call from the police later, enquiring whether I saw anyone push her over!

Sadly for her, I think she must have had some sort of catastrophic medical episode, as she just went down like a stone. The paramedics attempted CPR on her for about 45 minutes without any response.

If I ever pop off that suddenly, I'd rather it was at Withdean than in Sainsburys. Although I suppose that would be a bit crap for the people in the adjacent seats...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The same thing happened to my mother at M&S almost a decade ago. A little old lady keeled over turning a rather bright shade of blue. I am not surprised there are more than a few cases of this. Most old people seem to spend their lives in supermarkets trying to find a packet of custard creams in these behemothic structures.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

Bloody hell, that's rubbish :( Hope you're ok - things like that really shake you up.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If I ever pop off that suddenly, I'd rather it was at Withdean than in Sainsburys. Although I suppose that would be a bit crap for the people in the adjacent seats...

Oddly enough that happened to a guy immediately behind me in the South stand at the Goldstone years ago.I think it was an important promotion
game against Hereford. It just happened quickly, but took the St.Johns ages to get thestretcher etc etc. I remember thinking...."what a brilliant way to go".........but two or three guys, (not related to him) got very upset indeed,

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
edna, if you were at Withdean there would be people moaning that the Paramedics were blocking their view and the stewards telling them to sit down...not nice for that to happen to you though, hope you are feeling ok now.

Despite my age I have never seen a dead body, but have twice seen paramedics working on someone trying to bring them back, don't know if they succeeded but it was a really strange experience...the knowledge that I might have actually watched someone dying.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Happened about 5 metres away from me on the terraces in Finn Park years and years ago - and happened again at another game last year (that I wasn't at). Was a relatively young bloke the first time, mid 50s, just sudden serious heart attack and died before the paramedics could run down from the River End to the Town End.

zoom

Mar 20, 2008
That happened to me at withdean on new years day, some old guy just fell into me right outside the ground... Read in the argus the following day that he died, it really shook me up...

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Despite my age I have never seen a dead body, but have twice seen paramedics working on someone trying to bring them back, don't know if they succeeded but it was a really strange experience...the knowledge that I might have actually watched someone dying.

I have, and it's something that i'm going to remember for the rest of my life.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A few years ago I was at my parents house in Sussex, the old guy from over the road knocked on the door and asked if I could help him because his wife had collapsed. I legged it over the road to find a frail old lady lying in their hallway, did the usual check for vital signs and she had a week pulse and very shallow breathing, called the ambulance and continued to monitor her. The ambulance seemed to take an age, maybe 20 minutes because it had to come so far, during that time her state didn't change at all.

The old guy called his son-in-law, who pitched up and started to question why I had called the ambulance, with little regard for the state of the old lady (still sparko on the carpet). Sods law, she came round about 30 seconds before the paramedics walked through the front door...I had spent a harrowing 20 minutes trying to work out what her chances would be if I had to carry out CPR and whether her rib-cage would crush with the chest compressions...thankfully none of that was necessary and she survived without my assistance. But what was really going through my mind was whether she would actually die in front of me, regardless of my efforts, not a nice feeling at all.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well obviously, I've seen plenty of dead people, but I usually know they're going to be dead before I get there, as that's why I'm going to the scene. You can be strangely detached from a dead body, as it's almost like looking at a waxwork. I'm not religious, but if there's something like a soul in all of us, then it goes when you die, and you're just left with the physical shell of someone.

In this case, she was upright one moment, and then just went. I clocked her straight away as I was right behind her, so was on the floor trying to get a response out of her, but there was a good few seconds while nobody else seemed to have noticed until I called for help.

The Sainsbury's first aiders were absolutely superb, I might add: while I was on the phone to the ambulance, they actually got her breathing again, albeit weakly. As any medical boffin will tell you, that's comparatively rare. But I guess it wasn't to be...

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...I guess when your number is up that is it, at least all of you who were involved know that you tried your best for her, but alas it was not to be.

I have seen plenty of pictures of dead people, mainly those killed by accident, drug overdose or in combat situations and that was gory enough...I don't think anything can really prepare you for a real dead person.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Well obviously, I've seen plenty of dead people, but I usually know they're going to be dead before I get there, as that's why I'm going to the scene.

That's quite interesting. How do you get mobilised? Is it via a radio message and is it fairly explicit in terms of what you are likely to find on arrival?

We get mobilised via a printed telex, and the worst it will ever say is "house fire - persons reported missing" then the address; or "RTC [location and details of number of vehicles etc] - persons reported trapped."

So we never really know if we are going to a fatality until we get there. The only dead cert (forgive the unfortunate choice of words) that we are going to a fatal is when the print out says 'person(s) struck by train'.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That's quite interesting. How do you get mobilised? Is it via a radio message and is it fairly explicit in terms of what you are likely to find on arrival?

Well as a rule, if someone dies without having sought medical attention within the previous fourteen days, then the police get called.

Even if the victim is ninety years old and found dead in bed by relatives, the ambulance will always call police if there's no ongoing illness situation etc. Most of the time, it's just a case of waiting for a paramedic to certify death, ensuring there's nothing suss about it, and getting the body removed.

So yeah, I'd just get directed by Comms to go to the house.

You do get other stuff where you don't know what the score is- for example medical emergencies, RTCs, suicide attempts, or the ones where someone hasn't seen their friend for a while so you have to break into their house (but in those cases you often know by the smell they're dead before you get in). But given the high number of "standard" deaths in winter, we'd be advised by the ambulance service that they're dealing with a body in advance, so I know what to expect!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not sure if I've come across any dead people in my line of work. It's difficult to tell if an accountant is alive or dead and the normal tell-tale signs of an awful smell emanating from the body is actually a positive career move within auditing.

The one thing I can definitely say is that if you do come across an accountant in a professional capacity DO NOT try to revive them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Most of the time, it's just a case of waiting for a paramedic to certify death

We get alot of that at RTCs, and whilst I understand that it is a necessity, it does take up alot of emergency service time.

We had a motorcyclist not long ago who had come off his bike on the motorway and was decapitated by the barriers in the central reservation. Now, I'm no doctor, but the fact that we'd wrapped his body in a black plastic sheet and put it in an ambulance, and then recovered his head from down the road and put it in a plastic bag suggested to me that he was probably dead. But we still had to wait 45 mins for a doctor to come and certify death...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We get alot of that at RTCs, and whilst I understand that it is a necessity, it does take up alot of emergency service time.

We had a motorcyclist not long ago who had come off his bike on the motorway and was decapitated by the barriers in the central reservation. Now, I'm no doctor, but the fact that we'd wrapped his body in a black plastic sheet and put it in an ambulance, and then recovered his head from down the road and put it in a plastic bag suggested to me that he was probably dead. But we still had to wait 45 mins for a doctor to come and certify death...

Oh absolutely. I've been to one previously where you could smell death from the next building, the front entrance was heaving with bluebottles, and the unfortunate victim had shrivelled almost to bones and non-specific goo through decomposition. But I still had to wait with him until I could get the medics to tell me he was dead

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Given your encounters with death do you think maybe it would be more appropriate if you changed your username to " The Grim Reaper "

I must admit i've seen some dead bodies but i've never had a person drop dead right in front of me, It must be a bit of a shock to the system. I did see a woman get run over by a train a number of years ago, I tried to stop the train but it was going too fast and I remember feeling helpless as I watched it run her over. I'm not sure anything can prepare you for sudden death in front of your eye's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here