Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone going to the Olympic Soccerball at Wembley?

There are RULES that you'll need to OBEY. LOTS of them.

Safety and security

When you get to Wembley Stadium, you’ll be asked to go through security checks. With so much going on and thousands of people arriving at the same time, you should expect to wait.

We strongly suggest you do not bring a bag – if you do, your entry will be delayed and you may miss your event. Please note that large bags (over 25 litres) are prohibited. There are no storage facilities available.

Before you go through security, you’ll need to empty your pockets and place your belongings, such as keys and mobile phones, into a provided A4 sized plastic bag.

Due to Wembley's ground regulations and London 2012 venue regulations, there are some things that you can’t bring into the venue.

Wembley Stadium – Prohibited and restricted items

Prohibited items are things you cannot bring into London 2012 venues – you won’t be allowed to enter venues if you’re carrying any of these items when you arrive. If you’re carrying an item that is illegal under UK law, or could be used in illegal activities, this will be escalated to the police. There are no storage facilities available and if you surrender an item, you won’t be able to get it back.

Items that are prohibited from Wembley are:

Please note: the below list is not exhaustive. Venue staff may confiscate any articles that in their opinion could potentially be used as a weapon or missile and/or compromise public safety, cause a nuisance or disturbance to spectators or staff or that may be a hazard of any kind or that may be offensive or abusive.

− All types of knives and bladed items (including pocket knives and knives carried as part of cultural dress) or any other weapons (including improvised weapons) or implements such as extendable batons, sharpened combs, modified belt buckles and loose blades modified into weapons.
− Firearms, ammunition and explosive devices (including replicas, component parts or any device suspected to be a firearm or part of a firearm) or anything resembling these items (including toys).
− Personal protection sprays such as CS or pepper sprays.
− Fireworks, explosives, flares and smoke canisters.
− Laser pointers and strobe lights
− Hazardous and toxic materials.
− Glass bottles, glass vessels, cans, flasks.
− Liquids, aerosols and gels in quantities greater than 100ml.
− Alcohol.
− Large flags (where the longest edge is greater than 2.5 metres), banners and poles greater than 1 m in length or flags which may otherwise cause disorder.
− Tents, placards, spray paint, large industrial style “permanent“ marker pens or any other item which could be used to demonstrate within the venue or sabotage property.
− More than one soft-sided bag of 25 litre capacity or less (you must be able to fit your bag under your seat). We strongly suggest you do not bring a bag – if you do, your entry will be delayed and you may miss your event.
− Walkie-talkies, phone jammers and radio scanners.
− Personal/private wireless access points and 3G hubs (smart devices such as Android phones, iPhones and tablets are permitted but must not be used as wireless access points to connect multiple devices).
− Items too large to be electronically screened (if applicable).
− Bicycles, folding bikes, roller-skates and skateboards and scooters.
− Pets or animals (excluding service animals).
− Controlled drugs or any substances which look like controlled drugs.
− Frisbees and similar items
− Musical instruments: trumpets, drums, and other devices capable of causing a disturbance or nuisance.
− Noisemakers such as hunting horns, air horns, klaxons, drums, vuvuzelas, football rattles, clappers and whistles.
− signs or items with corporate or inappropriate branding, sponsorship, promotional or marketing material or literature, except for official Games merchandise and/or other football related clothing worn in good faith, any unofficial or counterfeit merchandise.
− professional-style cameras (any camera with interchangeable lenses) or recording/transmitting devices.
− prams / push chairs
− unauthorised charity collection utensils
− Large or non collapsible umbrellas
− hampers and cold boxes

In addition, there are restrictions on the use of some items inside venues. Check with staff if you’re unsure about using an item inside venues, as some items may disrupt competition, obstruct the view of other spectators or create a safety hazard.

Items that are restricted in London 2012 venues are:

− Oversized hats
− Excessive amounts of food
− Flags of countries not participating in the games (this excludes the flags of nations under the umbrella of a participating country such as England, Scotland and Wales)

Exemptions:

You are allowed up to 10 containers of up to 100ml capacity each, giving a combined maximum
capacity of one litre. Part-filled containers with a capacity greater than 100ml (excluding sun cream)
are not allowed. You may bring up to 200ml of sun cream, but it must be in its original packaging and in a container with a maximum capacity of 200ml.

Essential medications must not exceed a combined total of 1 litre, and we recommend you bring
a prescription or letter from your doctor to accompany these.

If you have a plastic water bottle with you, please ensure it is empty before you reach security as there are no facilities to empty bottles at the turnstiles. Free drinking water is available inside the venue.

You cannot bring alcohol into London 2012 venues. Alcohol is available to purchase inside most
venues.

You will get through security more quickly if you keep all your liquids, aerosols and gels in a separate toiletry or plastic bag. There is no need to remove the bag containing your liquids from your main bag, unless specifically asked.

Baby food, baby milk and sterilised water are allowed into venues but must be carried in containers with a maximum capacity of 1 litre per baby. You may be asked to verify baby food by tasting it. Examples include:

− Soya milk for babies
− Sterilised water for the baby
− Formula, breast milk or cow milk specifically for babies
− Baby food of various consistencies

Enjoy your day!

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Jesus Christ I'm off to watch footy at Wembley not invade America!!

hey captain sensible, we have the same location - behind enemy lines, maybe we are too risky to be let in?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I'm just wondering how long I'll have to queue so that the crack security team can work out whether I'm trying to smuggle a bicycle into the stadium.

Sorry but what on that list is unreasonable? You have to bear in mind, and I know some Olympic naysayers may find this hard to fathom, that any event held in Wembley during the one of the whole WORLD'S premier sporting events may be a reasonable target for someone whose heart is set on disruption. These measures are just designed to minimize the impact that they can cause. I am sure that you have lost count of the times that you have tried to smuggle your bicycle into the Amex and succeeded though, so well done.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
They're really going full-on with security now

143770828-1-522x293.jpg

143819899-1-522x293.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Did we have a token gesture to small traders?

I was taken round the Sydney 2000 site and I seem to remember that a local contracter won the paving contract and had to increase his workforce by 2000%

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
A small bottle of Pepsi Cola, for a start. BANNED. On two counts.

Have you tried to get into a modern sporting venue recently with a lid on a Pepsi bottle? I presume after you have been searched it has been taken off. I know that it is true because it is the same EVERYWHERE.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Would you pay £5 more for your ticket (just a random number) if it meant that there was some competition when it comes to food and drink in the venue?

I paid £4.40 for a pint at The Oval during the Middx vs Essex game. I accept that it is the going rate in most 'trendy' places in London. One would think/hope that it might be reduced due to the volume sold from the bars in the ground, but that is wishful thinking.

I think all refreshment is overpriced. However, other events give you options to refresh yourself without having to purchase food and beverage within the grounds/stadium/arena.

What are excessive amounts of food? The aformentioned cricket match, I met up with 12 people and one person had supplied the picnic. Would she have had to divvy out the feast to let her pass? Would I have needed to cram my pockets with salmon mousse, pork pies and quails eggs?

I dislike the fact that venues see fit to cash in on basic things such as food and so on.

Grand events take it far too far. I remember the a legion of Dutch fans having to watch World Cup 2010 as their clothes were emblazoned with a non-sponsor.

I guess it is a sign of the time when it comes to a global event. Maybe they are not banning excessive food as they want us to buy McDs, but because it is easier to hide a bomb in a Cornish Pasty than a packet of Skittles. Who knows?

In conclusion to my red wine sponsored ramblings, I would pay more if it meant that I could have a little bit more freedom.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Presumably you can just pop the lid in your pocket and get it out later

Probably not because you will be properly screened like other Olympic events.

What's the problem? You know where you are going, you get your list of reasonable rules, you respect them. WAHHHHH I can't get in possibly because there is absolutely no way i can enter without my slightly discounted bottle of sugared water with me. Jesus Christ. You brought your ticket. You knew security was going to be tight. Now you are complaining because you can't take a bottle of Pepsi into the stadium with you.

Have you tried to get into a modern sporting venue recently with a lid on a Pepsi bottle? I presume after you have been searched it has been taken off. I know that it is true because it is the same EVERYWHERE.
I've regularly taken a bottle of Pepsi into the Amex, with the lid on. In fact, they SELL them with the lids on.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I've regularly taken a bottle of Pepsi into the Amex, with the lid on. In fact, they SELL them with the lids on.

Maybe I should have said full INTERNATIONAL sporting venue.

I am sure that you can appreciate Brighton vs Leeds on Friday night at the Amex isn't the same security threat as GB playing Senegal at Wembley stadium during the London Olympics?

Maybe I should have said full INTERNATIONAL sporting venue.

I am sure that you can appreciate Brighton vs Leeds on Friday night at the Amex isn't the same security threat as GB playing Senegal at Wembley stadium during the London Olympics?
In what way is an unopened bottle of Pepsi a security threat?

Or, for that matter, a Pepsi Cola t-shirt?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
In what way is an unopened bottle of Pepsi a security threat?

Or, for that matter, a Pepsi Cola t-shirt?

I wasn't saying that a bottle of unopened pop is a security threat. I was more commenting generally on the levels of security which you seem to be complaining about?

Having said that it does say in your OP:
Venue staff may confiscate any articles that in their opinion could potentially be used as a weapon or missile and/or compromise public safety
I guess that does constitute a kind of security threat, if you are willing to LUZZ said bottle at a player.

Why would you actually WANT to wear a Pepsi branded t shirt thereby giving Pepsi free advertising, in fact probably not free to you as you would have PAID for the pleasure of owning the t shirt. But, for arguments sake, if you really wanted to wear your super cool Pepsi t shirt to watch the Olympic football it would be a little unfair if they took it off you and gave you a plain white t shirt - presuming they would confiscate it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here