Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else had problems with the A23 this week

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Monday, problems around A272 led to horrendous queues past there and all the way to handcross Hill took an hour to get from Hickstead to Hancross Hill ( about 8 ish in the morning)

Tuesday, earlier accident and again queued from Hickstead and slow traffic until the beginning of the M23 ( about half an hour delay)

Today, van broken down at Hancross Hill...queue back before the turn off to Hurstpierpoint...went the country way ( 3/4 hour delays)

The traffic is normally not too bad, but since the snows, there has been some really bad delays.

Anyone else get caught in these?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fortunately I wasn't far behind the 3-car shunt that polaxed the northbound around Hickstead on Monday. Didn't look very serious, the three cars were still in the outside lane by the crash barrier with the owners all standing around on their mobiles.

It never ceased to amaze me how people can somehow manage to bash into each other on a long, straight bit of road.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm glad I've stopped taking the a23 now, I go up the Balcombe Road instead. It takes about 5 mins longer than it would on the a23 on a decent day but there are less frequent hold ups and less idiotic drivers too!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm glad I've stopped taking the a23 now, I go up the Balcombe Road instead. It takes about 5 mins longer than it would on the a23 on a decent day but there are less frequent hold ups and less idiotic drivers too!

Yes, that wa sthe road I took....not a bad route

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Some of the roads around here are a disgrace.
I have to drive thruogh the Broadway in Haywards Heath to get to work, and its like the frigging Dakar Rally at the moment. We've got potholes the size of the Grand Canyon.

And I'm not even exagerrating.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Handcross hill. One little problem and its f***ed. There are plans to widen it. Should be finished by 2020.

Why could'nt they just build a big bridge, spanning the valley. Bit like the Pont de Normandie. Now wouldn't THAT be flair.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was caught in that. I was delayed by almost an hour. To find out the problem was a Van that must have hit the car in front. So there was a police car, and a bloomin flatbed-truck with traffic cones. There was a layby 50 yards away on the left.

Just tow the feckin van out the road. Instead they were just standing around putting out bloomin cones.

JUST TOW THE BLOOMIN THING OFF THE ROAD !!!!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's always clear round 5:30am. Just get up earlier.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't remember so many potholes appearing due to snow, until now. Have the council been cutting costs with a cheaper/less effective road surface?

The worst road has to be Tivoli Place, although I believe that it is a private road - Almost undriveable nowadays.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
There are plans to widen it. Should be finished by 2020.

That's at last been given the go-ahead, according to the Highways Agency website. The rest of the road was improved under the last Tory government. I don't know why this section, from Handcross to Warninglid, was not done at the same time. I imagine it will be chaos when the work starts. The rest of the A23 is virtually up to motorway standard, while that bit is more like a lane. Having said that, I can remember driving on the old A23, now that was fun, especially the bit around Newtimber and the Muddleswood crossroads, you must remember that, Dave. I quickly gave up using that route to get to home games and went via Ditchling (pain with all the parked cars) or Burgess Hill. Now it's usually a dream; 35 minutes give or take a few minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here