Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else disapointed with the transfer window so far?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Ok so all this talk of 4 million to spend in January was merely speculation but we all knew that anyway. Am i the only one so far to be disapointed with our activity. Ok so we've re-signed Hoyte...im sure he will come good at some stage. He's at Arsenal so there must be something about him. The Jury is still out on the Spanish kid since there is not a soul in Sussex that has seen him kick a ball yet. Of course Painter has just signed this evening to fill another gap in defence. Whilst intially i felt this was a great appointment my enthusiasm was suddenly withdrawn once i discovered it was a loan deal. Great to see a proven higher league player in the stripes but what good is it when they f*** off end of season.

Am i the only one that feels this way? ive left myself open to major critisism and i thats fine...can cope with that!

Just thought we'd learnt from the loan and short term signings. Its what it says on the tin...short term and not the solution!

Maybe im wrong...im sure you shall tell me if thats the case

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
tell me Poidy is this glass half full or half empty ? :shrug:

we already know that Gus wants to re-build the team in the summer,So no big shock we have not spent a fortune "half way" through the january window is it.

Attachments

• Half_Beer_Mug.JPG
    Half_Beer_Mug.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 332

I don't think he's being overtly negative. Must admit that I had the same excitement over the signing of Painter, which was extremely tempered when I found out he's on loan.

It seems clear that Gus' aim for this season is to make sure that we don't get relegated, and I expect (hope) that he will start to build long-term from this summer.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's the 13th Jan and we are not even half way through the transfer window. If you are disappointed so far then you have kept an eye on how deals have been done in the past right up until the last minute.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am neither disappointed or overjoyed at the signings but I do believe that GP is signing the players that will ensure that we do not become embrolied once again in a relegation battle.

One or more of these loan signings may prove to be the stepping stone to signing them permenantly in the summer, if they prove their worth whilst on loan.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
still a few days to go, but I would like a few permanent signings otherwise we will go into the start of next season with a brand new squad who keep needing time to gel, then everyone will panic come October and we sack Gus and start all over again. Trying to get promotion going into Falmer, I dont see this as being ideal

Oct 17, 2003
Hove, East Sussex
oh god another moaner on here...

take a look at the overall number of transfers so far this window! hardly been any, so have patience...

the weather hasnt helped and there is no point going there to be dross that wont build the club. We have signed 2 players already and am positive discussions are ongoing elsewhere for more players....

Oct 17, 2003
Hove, East Sussex
oh god another moaner on here...

take a look at the overall number of transfers so far this window! hardly been any, so have patience...

the weather hasnt helped and there is no point going there to be dross that wont build the club. We have signed 2 players already and am positive discussions are ongoing elsewhere for more players....

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
Painter has just signed this evening to fill another gap in defence. Whilst intially i felt this was a great appointment my enthusiasm was suddenly withdrawn once i discovered it was a loan deal. Great to see a proven higher league player in the stripes but what good is it when they f*** off end of season.

Apparently Painter's deal expires at the end of the season, so should he do well here and enjoy working with Gus and the prospect of Falmer there is every chance we will be able to sign him on a FREE in the summer.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Gus has made it clear that he sees the summer as the time he wants to do most of his transfer business,so I am not expecting any great excitement this month.
There are signs that things are getting better on the pitch and providing we become meaner about giving away soppy goals,I feel relatively confident that we will soon pull away from the wrong end of the table.The big challenge will be going for promotion next season and to have a realistic chance of success,Gus will have to make sure he lands his targets in the summer.....no excuses.We must be firing on all cylinders from day one.
Oh yes,and whilst I think about it,can the club think harder about arranging more meaningful pre -season friendlies....the ones we have played over the last few years have been no more than run-outs.In my amateur opinion,our players need rather more of a stern test before the season gets going.I thought the pre-season this year was bordering on the farcical and little or nothing was learned by the coaching staff,it appears!!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Not at all.

Just think of the Palace fans they could be disappointed by the transfer window. They have a whole squad up for sale and sold one so far. They need to sell at least three more to survive.
Listening to David Sullivan yesterday he was saying that one Premiership club could go to the wall and at least three Championship sides. He says clubs like Palace will have to sell to survive, but their problem is that very few clubs have any money to spend.
So I would rather pick up a few free transfers/loans and keep going until the summer when I am sure there will be loads of good free transfers going.
As long as we avoid relegation and the stadium keeps being built I am happy.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Given that Painter's recovering from a cruciate injury I would have expected much more criticism of the deal if we had signed him on a 2 1/2 year contract. This way we can check that he's OK before we even think about a bid.

Given the reported financial status of many clubs it might actually pay to wait to the end of the window this year. Then we can get players on a much better deal from those clubs that are desperate for money. In these times cash is king and, if we have the sums reported, we need to take full advantage of that if possible.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
No not at all we won't play a league game till the end of January so absolutely no rush. I don't forsee lots of business anyway at least untill we shift the high earners who are not even playing!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
not at all disappointed

only 2 loan signings which is less than we have had in the past

emphasis on staying up and then hopefully build for greater success in the summer

but most of all, recognising the overall state of the economy, and specifically the parlous financial state of the football industry, I am quite happy with the way in which we are going about our business.

..........of course I would be much happier if we were at the other end of the table :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here