Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone been to Anfield?

harold robbins

Jul 5, 2003
Off on a stag weekend to Liverpool in a couple of weeks and have got tickets for Liverpool -v- Fulham on the Saturday (unfortunately I`ll miss the Peterborough game).

What should I expect (humourous replies welcome) and is there anything I need to be wary of(apart from the locals!)?.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
no , i went a few years back , amazing attmosphere , and i think its been done up a bit since i went

enjoy

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
great place .. close to pitch good atmosphere

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I've only been there once - when Brighton drew 2-2 in the cup in 1991. It was a top day out - one of the best I've ever had. You'll have a great time!

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
I went in 1991 for the fa cup match. Fantastic atmosphere. Probably had something to do with coming back from 2 goals down to force a draw. One of Rush's goals was offside!

Went there while they were rebuillding the Kop (1994 I think) so didn't really get the whole experience. Imagine it's pretty good now though, nice and compact. The locals are all nice enough as well.

As for going out, Liverpool's a wicked city. Really nice people, and cheap. You should have a cracking time.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Really enjoyed the 2-2 draw - be careful of the "mind your car for you mister" outside

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Was only there in 1983 for THAT game. What a day and what an atmosphere. Having said that I would not go to the bottom of my garden to watch the current Liverpool team.

Merseyside Seagull

Dec 18, 2003
Wirral
Have a good weekend. I've lived up here for 10 years and never had any problems on nights out.

Places to visit........

Pig & Wistle Lap Dancing Bar
Angels Lap Dancing Bar
Concert Square 4 or 5 Pubs in the same square
Matthew Street Steer clear of Rubber Sole though, full of Scally's
The Living Room Nice Bar!!
The Newz Bar Nice Bar!!

And as for the local girls.........I'll leave that for you to find out, but if you want it and you don't get it, you must be gay or come from Mars!!!!

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
In 1980, stood on the Kop with a Liverpool mate, wearing a Brighton scarf, for the Albion’s first game at Anfield since promotion to the old First division. Atmosphere was absolutely amazing, and the Koppites were superb. We lost 1-0, but put on a good display. As we walked out after the match, a scouser who had been standing a few rows behind me advised me that “a few nutters would now be walking around looking for Brighton fans who weren’t mob-handed, so it would be better to keep the scarf out of sight”.
A true football fan, and an example of the type of people you can meet up there.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Seagullmatt said:
I went in 1991 for the fa cup match. Fantastic atmosphere. Probably had something to do with coming back from 2 goals down to force a draw. One of Rush's goals was offside!

I went to that game, we outsang the Liverpool fans.

We were outplayed in the replay at the Goldstone though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Yep that game was awesome, when we got back to 2-2 the scousers just started leaving ! there was ages to go...

We :wave: them goodbye...

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
I was at the 1991 game too, still got the goal highlights on video and u can clearly see my dad trying to get a picture of the goal celebrations!!

There for the '83 cup game. 44,000 people, the kop still terraced, bllody brilliant.
I think if you're a first time visitor from out of town, it's still expected that you do a solo rendition of "in your Liverpool slums" at full voice. In the kop. On your own. Wearing an Arsenal top.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Amazing atmosphere in 1991, going 2-0 down, thinking all we could do was damage limitation, then several classy displays including Paul McCarthy's burst into the box to win the penalty and John Byrne's equaliser following Crumps's knock back, which I have down as my favourite moment as an Albion fan, and only not winning because Mike Small was too selfish to pass to Budgie. I thought we were only outclassed at the Goldstone after we went 2-1 up and Rush got going. Thought the applause our players got at Liverpool was generous too. Don't know what the atmosphere is like now the Kop is seated.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Was there earlier this season for Saints v Liverpool. Was a bit disappointed by the atmosphere but they are going through a bad time. I was pleasantly suprised how good the atmosphere was around the ground beforehand, not in any way threatening or intimidating, very good family sort of atmosphere.

Is a great ground though, close to the pitch and good if the Kop gets going.

On the other hand listening to a load of scousers whinge when its not going great is also great fun !

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
West Hoathly Seagull said:
Amazing atmosphere in 1991, going 2-0 down, thinking all we could do was damage limitation, then several classy displays including Paul McCarthy's burst into the box to win the penalty and John Byrne's equaliser following Crumps's knock back, which I have down as my favourite moment as an Albion fan, and only not winning because Mike Small was too selfish to pass to Budgie. I thought we were only outclassed at the Goldstone after we went 2-1 up and Rush got going. Thought the applause our players got at Liverpool was generous too. Don't know what the atmosphere is like now the Kop is seated.

I've been once since that great day, to see them beat West Ham 3-0 a couple of seasons back. It was just after West Ham had knocked Man Utd out of the cup at Old Trafford, so the whole crowd was feeling quite good natured towards West Ham. The singing of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' before a game is still impressive, but generally the atmosphere is not quite as good as it was when the Kop was standing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The FA cup run win and the 2-2 draw in 91. Fantastic atmosphere but the place was so much smaller and old fashioned that I'd imagined it. Maybe it's changed recently? Unlike when I went to Old Trafford and wanted to sneer and hate the place but was awestruck at the size and look of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here