Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone beat £47.00 to change a front headlight bulb

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have just been charged £47.00 to supply and fit a front headlamp bulb on a Megane.

:censored::censored::censored:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The robbing cnuts, how long do you reckon it took them? 5 minutes tops and the bulb probably cost 50p to produce

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Woman at work paid £114 last week, not sure if it was a Megane but garage said it was a design flaw that means they have to take the whole front section (bumper etc.) of the car off to replace the bulb.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Woman at work paid £114 last week, not sure if it was a Megane but garage said it was a design flaw that means they have to take the whole front section (bumper etc.) of the car off to replace the bulb.

yes that is right

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember being charged £50+ for a 'disposable' air filter on a Citroen CX in the early 80s - must be a french thing

but garage said it was a design flaw that means they have to take the whole front section (bumper etc.) of the car off to replace the bulb.

I think you will find that is a design feature popular amongst renault dealers

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A friend of mine had a Toyota Avensis, it cost hime at least double that for a light bulb replacement as the entire front bumper assembly had to be removed, this is not an urban legend, it is true.

On the other hand, I am a long time Audi driver, I had a bulb to replace, phoned the dealership, asked for a quote, to which they replied, "just bring it in and we'll do it for you while you wait" I duely did so, and they changed the bulb, at zero cost, not even for the bulb.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It's one of the things that there ought to be legislation about. The ability to change a car bulbs easily is essential maintenance. The harder it is to do the more people will just drive around without bothering to change them for as long s they can get away with. I can just about change the ones on my astra but it normally costs me most of the skin on my knuckles as the gap is only just big enough to get my hand in. Bastard car manufacturers.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have just been charged £47.00 to supply and fit a front headlamp bulb on a Megane.

:censored::censored::censored:

Not nice I know, but if it takes an hour to do the job then you have to pay for that hour. Anyone know any tradesmen that work for less than £50 per hour nowadays?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
:wozza:
It's one of the things that there ought to be legislation about. The ability to change a car bulbs easily is essential maintenance. The harder it is to do the more people will just drive around without bothering to change them for as long s they can get away with. I can just about change the ones on my astra but it normally costs me most of the skin on my knuckles as the gap is only just big enough to get my hand in. Bastard car manufacturers.

Legislation on the changing of light bulbs :wozza:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
:wozza:

Legislation on the changing of light bulbs :wozza:

not legislation on chamging lightbulbs, but on the manufacturing of motor vehicles. They have CO2 standards and safety standards they have to conform to why not access to areas of essential maintenance?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Swindle.

Halfords are fitting for £6 i think if you buy the bulb there.
Mine headlight went last week and the bulb was £9 i think.

Fitted it myself in 20 mins and i know feck all about cars.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Swindle.

Halfords are fitting for £6 i think if you buy the bulb there.
Mine headlight went last week and the bulb was £9 i think.

Fitted it myself in 20 mins and i know feck all about cars.
not a swindle is it, I very much doubt Halfords would remove a bumper and fit a headlight bulb for £15

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here