Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody used a halogen worktop oven?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I saw this and wondered if it would be a more economical alternative to my existing miniature electric oven. What advantage does it have over a microwave, e.g. does it brown food?
ALDI - Sunday Special Buys 15th January 2012

YES. Very useful. Great for roasting meat including whole chicken (but you have to topsy-turvy that mothafucka a couple of times), and cooking things like fish fingers, chicken pieces, etc. We use ours a lot. Not good for pies or pizza as the heat is top down. Buy one.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Yep. One of the best things I have got in my kitchen! Advantages are that it cooks faster than conventional ovens (approx 40% in my experience). Contrary to matt, I find it cooks pies just fine (just have to lower the heat settings from the recommended settings on the packet) Juices are maintained well in all meats that I cook in there. Recommendation: BUY! I paid £60 for mine last year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
More energy efficient, self cleaning well most are, food browns better in them and you can cook a complete meal in one just put it all in and go for a beer or watch TV and then when its done dish it up and eat it.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I've had mine for a couple of years, Microwavable stuff is done in the Microwave Oven stuff is done in the Halogen oven. (Cooks stuff lovely.) You just need a gas ring and that does everything you can think of without recourse to a massive oven.
Oh! Self cleaning is a bit of a stretch, but it's simple enough to wash up. Wouldn't be without it.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We use one - does almost everything a traditional oven can do and to the same standard (just quicker) - highly recommended.
We probably use the halogen more than the conventional oven (except for baking and cakes) whereas the microwave only ever gets used for cooking frozen peas and warming milk for the occassional bowl of weetabix! Conversely we used to have a halogen hob which I hated with a vengance and eventually ripped out to replace it with a gas hob.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here