Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any one with any useful knowledge of tax codes out there?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
After some words on tax codes, just got me first pay slip for years and although its largely in line with what I roughly calculated what it should be (around £20 out) but am confused about the tax code.

Was expecting an emergency tax code as not handed in a p45 or p anything yet as the DWP have not sent me anything.

However the code I have is a BR code which the IR website tells me is for those with a second income who's allowences have been used up with the first income.

I shall pop down the tax office tomorrow, finnishing at 2 and having too drive through the city centre has it benefits, but wondered if anyone had any idea what the fcuk is going on.

NE questions I should be asking?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
BR stands for basic rate and means you will pay tax at basic rate on all income. BR is used for second incomes, but I think is also used for emergencies. When you get a tax code then you will get some tax back.

If you don't have a p45 from your old employer then your new employer should have completed a P46 for you to advise the tax office of the correct treatment.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I have two incomes. I get a pension from Yorkshire Electricity because I was over 50 when they made me redundant so my final income pension kicked in straightaway.
That is taxed at BR.

I had a part time job during the last tax year and didn't use up all my tax allowance. £4640 which was translated onto my wage slip as 454T

You are also allowed a further 2200 at 10% before paying full income tax at 22%

I appealed to the tax office and got a rebate on it.

When I moved down here I didn't start work until 19th April and as my P45 was dated March it was counted as a separate tax year and so I had to pay 'emergency tax' which was classed as BR (basic rate)

I had to make several phone calls to get my tax code sorted out (and keep onto them) and the rebate they owed me.

It took about 6 weeks in all.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
the usual procedure is, as m20gull says, you need to fill in a P46 and sign a declaration to say this is your first or only job. They then use the emergency tax code, which is the single person allowance, but on a week or month one basis which means you don't get the accumulated allowances since 5th April. your employers then send this to their tax office and then 3 years later you get issued with your own, to keep, tax code.

BR is used for people who have second jobs of fail to produce a p45 or p46.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
m20gull said:
BR stands for basic rate and means you will pay tax at basic rate on all income. BR is used for second incomes, but I think is also used for emergencies. When you get a tax code then you will get some tax back.

If you don't have a p45 from your old employer then your new employer should have completed a P46 for you to advise the tax office of the correct treatment.

Ta, no old employer which is why I am waiting for the DWP to do something, like send me some papers.

Current employer not filled in a p46 will see if talking too tax man does any good tomorrow if not will talk too employer on Tuesday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here