Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any one know anything about state benefits?

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Right, i've just finished the legal practice course and have secured a training contract (a job as a trainee solicitor) to start in september, I can't really be arsed to work much over the summer- am I able to claim jobseekers?

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
I think you've answered yourself:

jobseekers allowance... can't be arsed to work

You have to tell them you're actively seeking and ready for work.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Well yes, obviously i WILL tell them that I am seeking work, i'm just wondering if I am entitled to anything

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I recently was claiming jobseekers allowance for a month.

You have to be looking for jobs and provide proof that you are actively looking for jobs. You also have to sign to say you will apply for x jobs a week, speak to potential employers x amount of times a week, etc. If you are not seeking work, you are not entitled to anything! If you are jobhunting, you'll probably get about £50 a week.

I worked really hard when I was unemployed to get back to work, I would seriously be pissed off if I knew people were getting benefits for doing nothing and with no intention of actually finding work.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Right, i've just finished the legal practice course and have secured a training contract (a job as a trainee solicitor) to start in september, I can't really be arsed to work much over the summer- am I able to claim jobseekers?

When you answer the question can you be arsed to work(I think its 7B)don't say no

Seagull Stew

Why not apply for jobseekers allowance and then tell them afterwards that you have found employment but they don't need you to start until September. I'm sure you'll be entitled to benefits until your start date.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Why not apply for jobseekers allowance and then tell them afterwards that you have found employment but they don't need you to start until September. I'm sure you'll be entitled to benefits until your start date.

yeah, that was my thinking.....

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
whats the chances your first case will be prosecuting someone for fiddling benefits :rolleyes:

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
whats the chances your first case will be prosecuting someone for fiddling benefits :rolleyes:

well its not really fiddling benefits, I am currently unemployed (my LPC exams finished 2 weeks ago) but I have a job secured- but it doesn't start till september...just want to know if I can claim anything

Seagull Stew

well its not really fiddling benefits, I am currently unemployed (my LPC exams finished 2 weeks ago) but I have a job secured- but it doesn't start till september...just want to know if I can claim anything

It's fair enough, as you have technically made the effort to seek out work. It's just that you have a delay until start date. Not sure if your "legal" entitlement is there though.

You will, however, be slated by some on here for saying that you "can't be arsed" to work over summer! :lol:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm almost certain you can claim benefits. After all, you're out of work, so unless you owe them unpaid taxes and what not I can't see why not.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jobseekers Allowance is paid to people looking for work - even temporary work, if that is all it takes to tide them through to when they start a proper job. You may have a problem because of the course you were on too - although the exams are finished, some courses are held to continue until the September, when the new year starts, so if you're officially classified as a full time student, you can't generally get any benefits anyway.
Get a bloody summer holiday job!!! You might enjoy it, and learn something about the real world - something sadly lacking in the experience of most of the legal professions. It might even make you a better solicitor if you knew what real work was like.....

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Jobseekers Allowance is paid to people looking for work - even temporary work, if that is all it takes to tide them through to when they start a proper job. You may have a problem because of the course you were on too - although the exams are finished, some courses are held to continue until the September, when the new year starts, so if you're officially classified as a full time student, you can't generally get any benefits anyway.
Get a bloody summer holiday job!!! You might enjoy it, and learn something about the real world - something sadly lacking in the experience of most of the legal professions. It might even make you a better solicitor if you knew what real work was like.....

f*** off mate, you know nothing about me, don't start preaching about what I should do.

I worked for 4 years as a retail manager to put me through university and then set up a decorating business to pay for the LPC fees. I know a thing or two about the 'real world'.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
f*** off mate, you know nothing about me, don't start preaching about what I should do.

I worked for 4 years as a retail manager to put me through university and then set up a decorating business to pay for the LPC fees. I know a thing or two about the 'real world'.

So all this hard work and university education has made you so clever you have to come on NSC for advice for perhaps the easiest thing to blag? I hope you never represent me.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
So all this hard work and university education has made you so clever you have to come on NSC for advice for perhaps the easiest thing to blag? I hope you never represent me.

im bored mate.

:bla::bla::bla:

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I thought this being a solicitor's thread it would be brief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here