Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Hi-Fi whizzkids?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This might sound like a stupid question, but ...

I have a new turntable and (unlike all the other turntables I've bought) it requires a counterweight to be attached to the arm to stop the stylus skidding across the record.

Unfortunately, the instructions don't make it plain as to where the counterweight should be attached - I've tried all sorts of positions but can't work out where it should go. The stylus end? The far end? The middle? And how does it attach to the arm?

It completely baffles me: anyone got any ideas?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If you look at the tone-arm it should logically be at the opposite end to the stylus. You should have something like a piece of plastic with a raised bit on one end, you use this to balance the stylus on whilst you set up the counterweight, which should probably screw onto the short end of the tone-arm, I would be amazed if it goes anywhere else.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Gwylan said:
This might sound like a stupid question, but ...

I have a new turntable and (unlike all the other turntables I've bought) it requires a counterweight to be attached to the arm to stop the stylus skidding across the record.

Unfortunately, the instructions don't make it plain as to where the counterweight should be attached - I've tried all sorts of positions but can't work out where it should go. The stylus end? The far end? The middle? And how does it attach to the arm?

It completely baffles me: anyone got any ideas?

MYOB will help you out, he always does.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The fact that it's a "counterweight" implies it should be at the opposite end to balance out the weight of the stylus. I assume that when the weight isn't there the stylus is relatively heavy (an ounce or two)?

You want the stylus to impose a net weight of about 2 to 3 grammes on the vinyl. Any less and it may jump around. Too much more and you risk damaging the vinyl. But most hi-fis should have some kind of marks on the arm to make the positioning of the counterweight fairly obvious.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mystery solved: lost in the packaging there was a device with a scale on it and a hole in it that slots on, as everyone says, on the opposite side to the stylus.

We'd thrown the packaging out, it was sheer chance that it rolled out when we moved the cardboard to the recycling box.

When putting together a hi-fi it helps to have all the parts!

:dunce:

Now have to figure how to shut the lid with the counterweight on.

:D

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Does it play GOSBTS?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Gwylan said:
Now have to figure how to shut the lid with the counterweight on.

p3298129_l.jpg

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here