Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any help on cheap flights?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Ok,it is not a BHA or footy point,but can any NSC user please inform me why the likes of Monarch/Bmi dont fly to the likes of Greece/Malta/Cyprus etc. All low-cost flights are to western/southern europe.Is this our good friends the EEC,tieing the airlines down,or airport fees? Any help or advice,please.
:falmer:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I believe the Greeks have their own low cost airways and do not like to be outpriced by foriegn travel. Can't for the life of me think of the name of the company though.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Helios is the name of the low cost Cypriot airline. I have friends in Cyprus and costs me a fortune to get out there in the summer. Usually go Air Austria via Vienna

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Helios was the Greek sun god, I believe it is also the word for 1,000.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
There is a relatively cheap airline that serves Malta, is called BritishJet.com and they have a pretty much nightly flight from Gatwick to Malta.

Other than that Air Malta are doing VERY cheap deals out of most UK airports right now because this new lot are chipping away at their until now unchallenged business.

The Lo-co's will not touch Cyprus and Malta because its just that bit far for their extremely tight margins to work on aircraft such as the Airbus 319 and the 737, their profit margins are smaller on the 3 hour plus it reduces utilisation, the business models are very much based round flights of 2.5 hour or less durations, with a few exeptions (Athens etc).

The union situation in these places also makes it VERY difficult to cut deals on Handling and the other bits and pieces that the Lo-co'c expect to get pretty much for free, and on top of that you can forget an aircraft EVER getting turned around in an hour in any of these places.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Monarch do fly to Greece but they are a charter airline not a scheduled airline (Monarch are part of Cosmos). BMI don't fly there because they don't have the route license.

Cheapest flights tend to be Ebookers, I know they are for Trans Atlantic. Expedia are close behind them though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here