Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any double glazing installers on NSC please

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
I have had a mechanism go on one of me windows, this has happened before but when the window was open so i was able to just go and get a new one and replace, this time though the window is closed and the handle just turns.

So my question is how do you open the window to replace the mechanism?

Thanks

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I would assume its quite an old upvc window, assuming it is and the locking is basic, you could try this.
Remove the sealed unit and you may be able to "jack" the sash enough to free the locking button.
Sounds as if you need a new mechanism, or even a new window.
Alternately, phone The Window Doctor, service engineers in the phone book, might be a bit costly if they charge call out.
If you live near Uckfield I know someone otherwise.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
I would assume its quite an old upvc window, assuming it is and the locking is basic, you could try this.
Remove the sealed unit and you may be able to "jack" the sash enough to free the locking button.
Sounds as if you need a new mechanism, or even a new window.
Alternately, phone The Window Doctor, service engineers in the phone book, might be a bit costly if they charge call out.
If you live near Uckfield I know someone otherwise.

Thanks the mechanism is a flat rail one, im thinking the only way is to remove the glass to get it open.

https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/images/upvc_window_lock_dimensions_2.jpg

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
not sure removing the glass will be much help, guess you have tried WD40 or the like? that may help

Im feeling you maybe right because even with the glass out im still unable to get to the mechanism, calling the pro's i think, thanks anyway

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The suggestion of removing the glass was to allow you to bend/bow the lock rail to release the locking button out of its lock keep.
WD40 will only lubricate, the slider button on the lock is buggered, so you may may to force it out of its keep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here