Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any DIY experts out there?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I've just bought this DJ deck stand off some bloke on eBay who had 1000+ positive feedback. It's made of MDF and is supposed to hold two Technics turntables, two CDJ decks, a mixer, your amp etc and 3000 records.

I've been trying to build it this afternoon and it's simple enough. Only trouble is, several of the holes are too deep for the dowels, so when I stick the sections together, the dowels end up lost and stuck inside the holes and the parts therefore don't fit together. It's totally useless.

I've just emailed the bloke, but in the meantime, if I do manage somehow to fish out the dowels, are there different sizes of dowel that I can bag from DIY shops? ie. if I buy the next size up, it probably will fit together.

The unit came all the way from County Durham, and I really can't be arsed sending it back up there, cos it's f***ing massive.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Yes. You can get dowels from any DIY centre - they're usually a standard size. The existing dowels have probably just worn over time.

You may need to drill the old dowels out first.

Last edited:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Barnet Seagull said:
Yes. You can get dowels from any DIY centre - they're usually a standard size. The existing dowels have probably just worn over time.

You may need to drill the old dowels out first.

Yeah, I can't get them out with pliers, that's for sure.

Have just had a search online and seen there are loads of different sizes out there. Will nip to B&Q and see what's what. The ones that came with it are 12mm x 38mm - reckon I'll need 12mm x 45 or 50 to be honest.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Put a screw in the end of the dowel and use the claw of your hammer to pull it out.:smokin:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
BRIGHT ON Q said:
Put a screw in the end of the dowel and use the claw of your hammer to pull it out.:smokin:

thats the way to do it but if you can be arsed buy a countersink bit and pre-drill new holes, (loads every 4") and screw in 2" screws + wood glue.It'll be solid as f***.;)
Make sure it's absolutley square or the strength will be compromised.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Make your own dowels. No probs.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Brixtaan said:
thats the way to do it but if you can be arsed buy a countersink bit and pre-drill new holes, (loads every 4") and screw in 2" screws + wood glue.It'll be solid as f***.;)
Make sure it's absolutley square or the strength will be compromised.

I'd go for Brixtaan's option and screw it together anyway. Dowels are a bollocks way of putting furniture together especially if it is to take a lot of weight or high value items.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here