Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ANOTHER senior religious figure involved in child sex scandal

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
4 years after admitting to all that.

4 YEARS!!!!!

The justice system in this country around child abusers is far far too weak.

Hardly a deterrent to others

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
4 years after admitting to all that.

4 YEARS!!!!!

The justice system in this country around child abusers is far far too weak.

Hardly a deterrent to others

And who is going to prison for the cover ups, the pretending it wasn't happening right up the hierarchy of this all too depressingly institutionalised abuse from a supposed religious church. 4 years is a disgrace, and the Catholic church** is, and continues to be a disgrace for not fully addressing what has happened for decades across the world. They won't though because they know the reality of how deep all this goes is too shocking to contemplate.

edit ** - I realise this case wasn't actually from the Catholic church, but the point still remains...

Last edited:

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Now then, now then!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353361648.517387.jpg

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The church has been kiddy fiddlers' heaven for centuries.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I can't help thinking that is something of an exaggeration. That is not to deny it has happened, but......

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Priestliness certain warrants an unhealthy degree of power and persuasion to those a little too hungry for flesh. I imagine they'll claim them to be the forbidden fruit that lusty serpents attempt to lure them to the dark side with, when in fact they're just dirty bastards who should be conscious of the rancidness of thoughts way before carrying such horrendous crimes against those so obviously more vulnerable and weaker than themselves.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Anywhere where there is regular contact with kids.
1) The Church
2) Schools
3) Scouts/Cubs/ Girl Guides
4) Youth Clubs / Youth Movements
5) Sports Clubs
6) Young Offenders Institutions / Places of Detention
7) Baby-Sitting
7 ) In the home.

Doesn't leave much does it?
( It is widespread and has been going on forever. It has flourished through the internet and relies on intimidation, bullying and fright. We all know what punishment should be dished out but there always seems to be sympathy from the judiciary.
Funny that? )

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1) The Church
2) Schools
5) Sports Clubs
7) Baby-Sitting
7 ) In the home.

The first 6 get the publicity but the fact remains that over 80% of child abuse is in their own families.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
1) The Church
2) Schools
5) Sports Clubs
7) Baby-Sitting
7 ) In the home.

( It is widespread and has been going on forever. It has flourished through the internet and relies on intimidation, bullying and fright. We all know what punishment should be dished out but there always seems to be sympathy from the judiciary.
Funny that? )

Yes, but for the most part, items 2 to 6 haven't been systematically covering up cases that their hierarchy have known about for decades. Especially with the Catholic church, this hasn't been limited to one place, we are talking worldwide cases of protecting pervert priests who have been free to continue their abuse for years. We are not talking about just the odd case of turning a blind eye, we are talking about it being an acknowledged problem at a high level and informed decisions being taken on keeping it quiet and completely failing to act.

This is why the 'kiddy fiddlers heaven' statement by [MENTION=17936]catfish[/MENTION] is so apt - in the church they've actually been protected by their religion.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can't help thinking that is something of an exaggeration. That is not to deny it has happened, but......

But what? The Catholic Church has not only covered cases worldwide, it has protected abusing priests and allowed them to flourish, not just in one place, or one institution, I would go as far as to say endemic abuse - and that's only the cases we know about.

This is the great problem with the church - they simply cannot bare to face the problem head on. Even now the Catholic church cannot turn itself inside out to fully route out every single Bishop, Cardinal whatever that knew about abuse taking place under their watch but didn't act - these people should be facing jail. The BBC due to one man is being thoroughly investigated at every level, and yet, the Catholic Church has had hundreds of Jimmy Saville's in positions of religious responsibility. It is a disgrace.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We were talking about this the other night.

I dont think you become a priest and then you turn to abusing children, but they are already paedophiles that find a pathway to vulnerable children and I am guessing whispers on the 'paedophiles grapevine' assured that the Catholic church had become a place where this abuse had maybe even become tolerated/encouraged.

As a rule of thumb for me, if adult males wish in their free time to spend time exclusively with children, then be cautious.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
1) The Church
2) Schools
5) Sports Clubs
7) Baby-Sitting
7 ) In the home.

Funny that? )

Ironic that people complain about the CRB process but yet it's the one effective way of protecting children.

However, all the time there are sick b*stards who think it's acceptable to abuse children, this will always happen...as [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] mentions, most of the abuse (it doesn't have to be sexual or physical) occurs within the home with family members so let's not get carried away and point the finger at one specific organisation as you only hear about offences at the to 6 you've mentioned more because they end up being more high profile.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ironic that people complain about the CRB process but yet it's the one effective way of protecting children.

However, all the time there are sick b*stards who think it's acceptable to abuse children, this will always happen...as [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] mentions, most of the abuse (it doesn't have to be sexual or physical) occurs within the home with family members so let's not get carried away and point the finger at one specific organisation as you only hear about offences at the to 6 you've mentioned more because they end up being more high profile.

What grates with me though is that you can have a sick b*stard in any walk of life, any professional, any position of trust, that is like you say sick in the head and will carry out abuse. We must try our best to stop it with checks etc. etc.

The reason I pick up on the Catholic church in particular, is that they have officials who are not sick, who are not depraved, but who in turn have made informed decisions to cover up and hide those that were. Their decisions have ultimately made the abuse institutionalised, and yet they are supposedly decent 'religious' human beings. It is a sick joke.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Your faith in the CRB process, highlights its weakness.

The CRB checking process is quite a blunt tool, firstly it becomes outdated the moment it is issued, but I accept it should deter those already prosecuted which is a start.

However I think sometimes it offers a false security, where those charged to protect children will accept a clear CRB file and then give too much access to our children based on that check.

Its a tricky balancing act as undoubtedly there are so many well meaning and hard working adults that offer children opportunities and experiences that will enhance our children's childhoods, we need to be cautious but proportionate.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
But what? The Catholic Church has not only covered cases worldwide, it has protected abusing priests and allowed them to flourish, not just in one place, or one institution, I would go as far as to say endemic abuse - and that's only the cases we know about.

This is the great problem with the church - they simply cannot bare to face the problem head on. Even now the Catholic church cannot turn itself inside out to fully route out every single Bishop, Cardinal whatever that knew about abuse taking place under their watch but didn't act - these people should be facing jail. The BBC due to one man is being thoroughly investigated at every level, and yet, the Catholic Church has had hundreds of Jimmy Saville's in positions of religious responsibility. It is a disgrace.

I am a church-goer - not catholic - and have some sympathy with what you say. But I hope it is an exaggeration to talk about child abuse being endemic in the Churches and to say that it is "even encouraged."

Any decent thinking people inside or outside the Church would agree that the full weight of the law should come down on anyone found guilty of any such offence, and this all the more so because it is an absolutely foul abuse of a position of privilege and trust.

I would also opine (good word, that) that any individuals that can be proved to have turned a blind eyeto such practices, particularly if this included allowing things to continue, should be prosecuted as well. If this included in a Catholic or Anglican Diocese a systematic cover-up or tolerance of such things, then there should be corporate prosecutions as well, if the channels to prosecute are available - i.e. is there an equivalent to corporate manslaughter that could be used.

In terms of child abuse being encouraged, that possibility is just unthinkable. I realise that this does not mean it hasn't happened, but if it has, then some corporate action - and by that I mean action against the institutions must be taken. Apart from anything else, the institutions themselves should want to sort it out, and it would be in their interests as well as everybody else to have it all out in the open and being dealt with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here