Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another reason for me not to drink at Starbucks...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
...not that I needed another one in the first place, you understand.

Starbucks in Ethiopia coffee row

US coffee chain Starbucks is denying Ethiopia earnings of £47m ($88m) a year, according to Oxfam. The charity says Starbucks asked the National Coffee Association (NCA) to block the country's bid to trademark three types of coffee bean in the US. Oxfam says poor farmers would have benefited from the move but the NCA says there is no economic case to support the charity's claims. Starbucks denies initiating opposition to the trademark application.

The Ethiopian government filed its applications to trademark the its most famous coffee bean names - Sidamo, Harar and Yirgacheffe - in US courts last year. Oxfam claims that Starbucks flagged up the application to the NCA - of which the firm is a leading member. The NCA then filed its opposition at the US Patent and Trademark Office.

Oxfam's Phil Bloomer said the charity had worked with Starbucks in the past and appealed to the firm to "act responsibly". Their behaviour on this occasion is a huge backwards step and raises serious questions about the depth of their commitment to the welfare of their suppliers," he said.

Berhanu Kebede, Ethiopia's ambassador to the UK, said in a statement that the international community should support the country's efforts to ensure farmers got a fair reward for their hard work. "This campaign has a pivotal role in redressing the unfairness of the international trading system," he said.

Starbucks' senior vice-president of coffee procurement, Dub Hay, denied approaching the NCA to oppose the Ethiopian move. "We did not get the NCA involved - in fact it was the other way around, they contacted us." Robert Nelson, head of the NCA, backed Mr Hay's claim, adding that his organisation opposed the Ethiopian move for economic reasons. For the US industry to exist, we must have an economically stable coffee industry in the producing world," he said. "This particular scheme is going to hurt the Ethiopian coffee farmers economically."

He claimed that the Ethiopian government was being badly advised, and the move would price them out of the market. The trademark move would also reduce demand for the country's coffee, he said. Oxfam said the NCA and Starbucks should not dictate to Ethiopia how best to sell its products.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Mmmm Starbucks.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
Still make good Frappachino's though.

How much profit does Oxfam make a year that goes to its directors?
I will ask my godfather!

Actually, I don't think they have directors per se. I believe they are made up of trustees and so on....

Last edited:

Can't see anything wrong with that to be honest. And agree with BAG, the Frappachino's are the nuts.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
There are no Starbucks here or in Belgium. They clearly realise they would never survive in a country where people know what proper coffee is supposed to taste like.

I don't think there are any in Italy either, for the same reason.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Apparently two brothers from Brighton have made a film in the same vein as "Supersize me" called - I think - "Black Gold" which apparently exposes the exploitation by people like starbucks of the producers and growers who they keep in poverty whilst raking in the cash.

Watch out for it.

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm with TLO in this. If I had to choose between a cup of tepid dishwater and a Starbucks "cappuccino", I'd go for the former. Mmmmm, dishwater.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
Apparently two brothers from Brighton have made a film in the same vein as "Supersize me" called - I think - "Black Gold" which apparently exposes the exploitation by people like starbucks of the producers and growers who they keep in poverty whilst raking in the cash.

Watch out for it.

I came across this when I was researching an article about Illy Coffee recently. Haven't managed to see it yet, but it is well spoken of.

Didn't know the makers were from Brighton.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Unbelievable.

They turnover £7.8bn a year for producing a piss-poor overpriced unethical product.

Every High Street in the world would look the same if they had their way.

Good point about Belgium and Italy, they know their coffee.

I can't stand the stuff but know that Starbucks tastes like the Carling of coffees.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I won't go to Starbucks since I don't like coffee as it tastes like shit.

And are coffee drinkers aware that it makes their breath smell positively foul? Moreso if they also smoke.

Each coffee should be served with a strong mint product to help those who have to deal with coffee drinkers.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
060626-03-M.jpg

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I'm sure the drop in profits from fat gotee bearded hippies wont be effecting their profits too much.:jester:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The Large One said:
...not that I needed another one in the first place, you understand.

Starbucks in Ethiopia coffee row

Starbucks' senior vice-president of coffee procurement, Dub Hay, denied approaching the NCA to oppose the Ethiopian move. "We did not get the NCA involved - in fact it was the other way around, they contacted us." Robert Nelson, head of the NCA, backed Mr Hay's claim, adding that his organisation opposed the Ethiopian move for economic reasons. For the US industry to exist, we must have an economically stable coffee industry in the producing world," he said. "This particular scheme is going to hurt the Ethiopian coffee farmers economically."

He claimed that the Ethiopian government was being badly advised, and the move would price them out of the market. The trademark move would also reduce demand for the country's coffee, he said. Oxfam said the NCA and Starbucks should not dictate to Ethiopia how best to sell its products.

I like Starbucks, I like their mentality and I like their coffee...I shop there and will continue to do so...Until someone gives me hard evidence against I am impressed with their corporate responsibility!

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Re: Re: Another reason for me not to drink at Starbucks...

tedebear said:
I like Starbucks, I like their mentality and I like their coffee...I shop there and will continue to do so...Until someone gives me hard evidence against I am impressed with their corporate responsibility!

I haven't seen it myself but from what I've heard and read, this may make you think again ...

Black Gold

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here