Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Leeds Utd Thread....And not a piss taking one either

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So for the moment, lets all just forget and put to one side how funny most of us find it (I have personal reasons for wanting them to go down) ......... but

Just how can a club go from Champions League Semi-finalists to being relegated to Division 3 in 6 years? Is it all still Peter Ridsdales fault? Mismanagement? Financial buffonery? Wrong managerial appointments? Or are they just crap? I would genuinely love to hear Starry's views on what has happened?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Look at our record, play-off final in 91 and only one game away from returning to the top flight of English football...six years later and Hereford, one game away from losing our league status and already having played our last game at the Goldstone.

I would tend to agree with you about the mis-management at Leeds, they bet a lot of money on staying in the Premiership, it failed miserably and they are now starting to suffer the consequences. Ironic that they were founded from what was left over when Leeds City folded due to financial irregularities.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
The same could be said for Bradford, from the prem to league two in the same amount of time

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kenhead said:
The same could be said for Bradford, from the prem to league two in the same amount of time

And went into administration during it.

That is what happens when you overspend on players who don't deliver.

Yorkie said:
And went into administration during it.

That is what happens when you overspend on players who don't deliver.
At least Bradford City and Leeds United started doing this in the Premiership. The descent into free-fall can just about be arrested after two or three relegations.

There are people on NSC who'd like the Albion to start splashing out NOW on players we can't afford. I really don't want to wake up in Conference South to find us asking "What went wrong?"

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
At least Bradford City and Leeds United started doing this in the Premiership. The descent into free-fall can just about be arrested after two or three relegations.

There are people on NSC who'd like the Albion to start splashing out NOW on players we can't afford. I really don't want to wake up in Conference South to find us asking "What went wrong?"

Personally I don't think the chairman helps to deter these unrealistic expectations when talking of improved or competitive player budgets, usually at season ticket renewal time, without actually qualifying what it means

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Bradford have dropped there season ticket prices to £138 which works out about £6 per game:clap:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
algie said:
Bradford have dropped there season ticket prices to £138 which works out about £6 per game:clap:
not a bad deal at all, get a full stadium of people behind the team and they should bounse straight back up

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Leeds could do the same, but they probably won't, far better to be cheered on by 30k paying a third of the price for their STs than 10k paying the full price, think of all the extra revenue from food, drink and programme sales!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
We already have, it's called 'Childish Ramblings'.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
In the 80's Hudds went from division 1 to division 4 in sucessive seasons....I remember seeing Town play in the 4th Division against Portsmouth ( my that was a pleasant day!!!)

Now the Pompey Scum are 1 point of playing in Europe

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
rool said:
Personally I don't think the chairman helps to deter these unrealistic expectations when talking of improved or competitive player budgets, usually at season ticket renewal time, without actually qualifying what it means
Absolutely. He's made a rod for his own back when even the most cursory glance at the accounts shows we lose money by merely existing and thus money for players is negligble.

You can name the posters who will be on here before the end of July saying "where are all the signings then?" - and you can't really blame them as they've had their expectations raised.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not 100% convinced Ridsdale was the problem.

At that time leeds were a decent premiership outfit doing very well in europe. Could you imagine the fans reaction if half way through that season he would have said " sorry we have run out of money...we are selling everyone and will only play the reserves from now on to save money"...he would have been hammered.

The problem is success breeds success paid for by debt. Only Manu have ever really bucked the trend and now glazier has overturned that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Brovian said:
Absolutely. He's made a rod for his own back when even the most cursory glance at the accounts shows we lose money by merely existing and thus money for players is negligble.

You can name the posters who will be on here before the end of July saying "where are all the signings then?" - and you can't really blame them as they've had their expectations raised.

I don't know what anybody else read but I saw and heard 'healthy playing budget'

I think people hear what they want to hear.
:rolleyes:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Where wopuld Chelsea be if abramovich hadn't come along and settled their 96 million debt?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
looney said:
Where wopuld Chelsea be if abramovich hadn't come along and settled their 96 million debt?

And who links Chelsea pre Roman and Leeds, why it's cuddly Ken Bates.

Ridsdale was on radio 4 this week. Basically he blames O'Leary aand the other members of the board. He reckons the club wouldn't have been relegated if he was still in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here