Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another hypothetical question - If the Albion had gone bust over the last few years

What would you have done if Albuon had gone bust?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would you have found another league team to support, or given up watching live football completely or gone to watch a non league team local to you or a reformed Albion at a very low level?

Not sure if this has been done before but if it has it was a while ago.

I'm not sure if I could have motivated myself to go and watch the reformed Albion play at a Sunday League level or wherever it is they would have had to start. I guess that makes me a bad fan, as I would have been back watching by the time they got to where AFC Wimbledon are I'm sure :blush:

Can a mod please change the name to Albion not Albuon - thanks

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I really can't answer that question. I can't imagine not supporting the Albion but then again, I couldn't bear to be without the regular matchday experience. In a way, that Albion of 'old' of the Goldstone Ground, round badge etc did go bust and what we are supporting now is a new club.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I don't live in Sussex anymore so seeing a local team wouldn't be too practical. I'd probably start going to see another league team closer to where I live, and eventually I suppose I'd start supporting them.

Capricorn

Aug 14, 2010
Perth, Australia
Very interesting question. It would have to be watching a reformed Albion team at whatever the level for me. Having said that if we didn't progress up through the leagues relatively quickly and spent many years in the same low league, I could see myself really missing the bigger stadiums and crowds that we had been experiencing before. Having said that, I could never support another club (other than a reformed version).

I think I would probably have returned to more regular support of the team that first got my 'til I die commitment, when I started going regularly to football - way back in a distant childhood.

Not that I don't go occasionally, even now. Last time was this 2-2 draw on August Bank Holiday Monday.

Match Reports

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i would have followed forfar athletic or east fife.......and prayed for the day when the result was east fife 5-4 forfar so far........always made me giggle sorry.....:flounce::flounce:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Living in Huddersfield would probably be them - I occasionally go and watch them now if at a loose end.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
At the time I would have continued watching the Albion at whatever level the club reformed at, even if that had been county level, which I am pretty certain would have happened. In reality we might now be at the same level as Wimbledon, having risen fairly rapidly to start with, in the Conference and trying to get back into the league. However my personal circumstances and commitments have changed, I haven't been back to Sussex for something like five years, and have even drifted away from watching the Albion in favour of non-league football local to where I now live.

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Being Brighton born and bred it would have to be a reformed Brighton side for me, I can get just as passionate watching a Sunday side league game as any other.

barbelhead

Apr 3, 2011
Mid Sussex
Hi everyone

new chappie here ( kids made me do it ) . I think that I would have gone to the new club / ground but it would need to be local ( at least in the vicinity of Brighton it there were still to be called Brighton ) but I wonder how long that it would last. I know a lot of people who stuck with Wimbledon but this was always an ' eccentric ' club ( no offence meant ) . When Brighton first went to the Ist division we had huge crowds but by the 3 rd season when we were being beaten by Stoke on a rainy day the crowds were melting away to a hard core. I think that htis might be the scenario of this ' new ' club and after 2 or 3 years we might be down to a real hard core of die hards. Not sure. We just need to thank our lucky stars that we are where we are now and not slipping down the tables or facing financial implosion. Big cheer to the players, the management and owners and investors and the FANS. See you at Falmer.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good question. I reckon I'd have become an itinerant fan, a sort of supporter without portfolio, and gone to watch lots of different games and teams at all levels, including but not exclusively whatever 'AFC Wimbledon-stylee' Albion emerged from the wreckage. Thank God.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I suppose alot depends on how starved of live football you would become. There have been occasions over the years when I have watched Crawley or Burgess Hill and even my local village side if I hadn't been to an albion game for a couple of weeks.

Me and a couple of mates have talked about this a few times over the years when we nearly went to the wall. We flirted with the idea of West Ham or Charlton, but if push had come to shove, I just wouldn't have been able to do it. I guess I would have watched a 'new albion' in any format and would have hoped we could have emulated AFC Wimbledon or FC United.

One thing this thread achieves, is it makes you bloody grateful for what we have now and what is to come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here