Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another 2 seasons in the Championship will do you good

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
This. 1 season in the prem followed by 3 seasons back in the championship with parachute payments pockets a club around 100million FFS!

2 seasons in the prem pockets you over 100 million FFS!

FFS You are right FFS!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its also taken west brom a few years of yo yo-ing before consolidation

Depends how you go down, and if you challenge at the right end of the table again like WBA

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think 2 opinions have been formed in this thread which actually don't link with the original OP.

The view that 'I don't WANT us to go up this season' is a moronic one. The whole point of football is to score more than the opposition, thus winning points, thus getting promoted. Wanting anything other than that would render the games pointless.

However I think the view being stated originally was that it would benefit us FOOTBALL-WISE to have one more season of perfecting it at this level before trying it in the prem.

NO ONE can doubt that you WANT to go up as soon as (for the wonga!), but it's probably correct that our football would BENEFIT from another season of possession, rather than chasing it for much of the games in the prem.

Either way I'm loving the championship matches but even the thought of prem football gets me moist.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I'd love us to stay in the Championship for the foreseeable future.
I don't like the PL, I don't like the nature of the 'competition'.

I hate the 'finish 4th from bottom' mentality.

It doesn't matter how you dress it up that will be us.

As said, the competitive nature of the Championship is great.
But then again it's not my £120 million on the line, and a mahooosive pay day just one league away.

Absolutely and utterly this. I love the fact that we are finally playing attractive fluid football, with an intelligent passionate manager, and a ground only others dream about. I remember the years of hoofball, and I do not want to plummet to those levels again just for the sake of one year in the Premiershite.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Of course going up straight away is ideal but another 2 years could actually benefit you more.

I could easily see you going up and resorting to hoof ball to clear pressure, then if you are not scoring many goals resorting to long balls to create chances. Fans expectations would be raised and Gus possibly fired if you get relegated, putting away my crystal ball for a minute... Swansea greatly benefited from the years we spent in the championship where pressure was relieved and we could work on our style game after game with out fearing for our place in the division, we still have a large amount of the players we had from several years ago and these pairings have helped out overall team play greatly.
The year we finally went up we had a great balance across the team sheet, pacy wingers in my opinion were the main reason for our success.

2 sensible posts in 1 thread. You, sir, are on the wrong forum!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm pretty confident we could go up and stay up, I think we'd finish 12th and steer clear of relegation. If you consider how well Swansea and Norwich have done with their passing football as opposed to QPR with their spend whatever it takes mentality and hope some experienced premiership players can force their way to success

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
QPR went up the same season as us as Champions with us 3rd, they spent several millions more and pay much more in wages yet we finished above them last season and beat them 5-0 away this, why? We had a stable structure with an actual style of playing where as they just brought in as many good players as possible and hoped they would gel together.

The possession system is a huge plus, you can beat sides way above you financially because you have a game plan or a style and they don't. Our style helped us thoroughly out play last season's champions at home for example.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I'm pretty confident we could go up and stay up, I think we'd finish 12th and steer clear of relegation. If you consider how well Swansea and Norwich have done with their passing football as opposed to QPR with their spend whatever it takes mentality and hope some experienced premiership players can force their way to success

I'm pretty confident if we went up we'd finish nowhere near 12th.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think 2 opinions have been formed in this thread which actually don't link with the original OP.

The view that 'I don't WANT us to go up this season' is a moronic one. The whole point of football is to score more than the opposition, thus winning points, thus getting promoted. Wanting anything other than that would render the games pointless.

However I think the view being stated originally was that it would benefit us FOOTBALL-WISE to have one more season of perfecting it at this level before trying it in the prem.

NO ONE can doubt that you WANT to go up as soon as (for the wonga!), but it's probably correct that our football would BENEFIT from another season of possession, rather than chasing it for much of the games in the prem.

Either way I'm loving the championship matches but even the thought of prem football gets me moist.

Quite. We still have quite a few things to iron out on the pitch, though I've seen an improvement in many areas in the first two home matches already.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I honestly don't understand the sentence 'I'd like us to stay in the Championship'.

I assume at a match if we are beating a promotion rival 1-0 you are secretly wishing they score an equaliser?

The whole AIM of the league ladder system is to get as higher as possible. Thats literally the whole POINT of the match.

D

Deleted member 18477

QPR went up the same season as us as Champions with us 3rd, they spent several millions more and pay much more in wages yet we finished above them last season and beat them 5-0 away this, why? We had a stable structure with an actual style of playing where as they just brought in as many good players as possible and hoped they would gel together.

The possession system is a huge plus, you can beat sides way above you financially because you have a game plan or a style and they don't. Our style helped us thoroughly out play last season's champions at home for example.

I expect a top 4 finish from Swansea this season! Anything else is a failure!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm pretty confident if we went up we'd finish nowhere near 12th.

I went for 12th as Norwich and Swansea both finished near that last season, my point was I don't want us to avoid promotion because we are worried about then getting relegated. One year in the premiership would bring us in excess of £100m

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The first 20ish years of me watching the Albion were mostly in the bottom two divisions playing dogshit football with mostly dogshit players (a couple of notable exceptions obviously)

I will quite happily spend the next 20 years in this league.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Agree Brian. I would never say no to promotion, or not try to be as good as we possibly can be, but it's certainly not a disaster if we don't go up in the very near future.

The Championship is a fantastic league and whilst I would love to see us in the Premiership, I'm really enjoying the Championship at the moment.

Very much this.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Err... Norwich - passing football? I think not!

Crofty stated that he's glad to return to Brighton as our passing style of play better suits him.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I honestly don't understand the sentence 'I'd like us to stay in the Championship'.

I assume at a match if we are beating a promotion rival 1-0 you are secretly wishing they score an equaliser?

The whole AIM of the league ladder system is to get as higher as possible. Thats literally the whole POINT of the match.

Indeed. If we get promoted, great! But it will not be the end of the world, nor should it put pressure on Gus, if we did not get promoted this season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I went for 12th as Norwich and Swansea both finished near that last season, my point was I don't want us to avoid promotion because we are worried about then getting relegated. One year in the premiership would bring us in excess of £100m

You have to bear in mind that Norwich and Swansea had established, well-run set-ups before they went up. Norwich (who had no business being in Div.3) had 20,000 STHs. Swansea had had their stadium in place for seven years.

We, as an entity, have had ours for ONE. In comparative terms, we're still a fledgling club. But we're learning fast.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Oh I completely agree. But I certainly don't think we should spend big to force getting there, look how many clubs have tried and failed. Leicester, Ipswich, to name just two from last season. If we get the chance we'd be mad not to take it, but gambling financially is not a risk worth taking.

I still don't feel we'd get anywhere near 12th though, but that's just me. Swansea/Norwich had the likes of Holt, Ruddy, Sinclair, Allen and so on.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I'd love us to stay in the Championship for the foreseeable future.
I don't like the PL, I don't like the nature of the 'competition'.

I hate the 'finish 4th from bottom' mentality.

It doesn't matter how you dress it up that will be us.

As said, the competitive nature of the Championship is great.
But then again it's not my £120 million on the line, and a mahooosive pay day just one league away.

So by this logic, you would be happy to see us LOSE a number of games each season, thereby denying us the chance of promotion.

I thought the whole point of playing a game such as football is to WIN.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Of course going up straight away is ideal but another 2 years could actually benefit you more.

I could easily see you going up and resorting to hoof ball to clear pressure, then if you are not scoring many goals resorting to long balls to create chances. Fans expectations would be raised and Gus possibly fired if you get relegated, putting away my crystal ball for a minute... Swansea greatly benefited from the years we spent in the championship where pressure was relieved and we could work on our style game after game with out fearing for our place in the division, we still have a large amount of the players we had from several years ago and these pairings have helped out overall team play greatly.
The year we finally went up we had a great balance across the team sheet, pacy wingers in my opinion were the main reason for our success.

Hey Brian. How many seasons were you in the Championship last time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here