Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another 2 seasons in the Championship will do you good

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I genuinely feel that we missed what may well prove to be our best chance of promotion for a little while when we fell away so badly at the end of last season. It was as weak a league as the Championship has been for a few years with sides like Leicester and Ipswich dramatically underperforming despite the money they had spent. It looks a tougher league this year and achieving a similar position as last year will be an exceptional achievement for a side which really cannot compete financially in the transfer and wage market. If we were by some chance to make the play-offs then whatever the eventual outcome I think we should probably carry Gus shoulder high through the streets!

As a long suffering lower league follower who also basked in our Division 1 glory days I will be very happy to consolidate, even more so if we challenge at the top end. The key is financial of course and I don't know what Tony's plans are to overcome our current disadvantage and achieve his ambition or what his timeframe is. Having been there when we were at the very bottom though, I hope we will never lose sight of the risks inherent in chasing glory (literally) at all costs. Unfortunately success counts as much as money and there is a fulcrum point between maintaining momentum with the crowds and money that flows from success and stalling or failing results leading to declining support as the glory chasers lose interest. I am sure that everyone at the club is aware of the risks. My guess is that we have two years, perhaps three at most, before we need to at very least be challenging consistently for the top two with the play-offs as the fallback - a little like Cardiff over the last few seasons. If we are still at 10th-15th in two years time we may have a problem. If we are 3rd to 6th then I think the Tony Bloom "Project" (to coin a popular current idiom) will still be on track.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
We are a far better side this year though.

With 4 additions (maybe more in the next few days) much better than what we had last season.

I think it would have been a disaster if we'd gone up but we'll be much better off if we manage it this year.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
It is a funny situation to be in isn't it? Of course you want your side to do well and go up but at the same time there is that nagging doubt that you aren't ready - which I do still believe. Our squad is not ready for the Prem. Some individual positons are yes, but not the squad.

The gulf between the Championship and Prem continues to amaze and surprise me. I’m just sitting here watching the Forest v Wigan game, the latter having given a run-out to a number of fringe and reserve players. In terms of movement, fitness, intelligence, just about everything really, the Prem is worlds apart. Forest, who were actually heavily tipped to cause an upset tonight, have been outclassed in every single area on the pitch (with two very special goals from Wigan). 3-0 at half-time.

Wayne Bridge for me is a classic example, a la Jason Roberts for Reading last year. Their fitness levels and reading of the game are ridiculous. I agree with the OP that two seasons in this division wouldn't do any harm whatsoever. Yes, we might lose Gus to pastures new if we fail to get promoted - he has made no secret that he wants to work in the Prem. But we are in a position now to attract a very decent manager and backroom staff to replace him and carry on his legacy.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't think either Bloom or Poyet really believe that we will go up this season. There has not been the investment in this squad to believe that. They won't say that publicly of course and there is always the outside chance of a play off spot and then of course, who knows ?

The spending next summer will in my opinion dictate whether Bloom is really going for it. I think we should take things slowly with player investment and build slowly. I like this Championship lark anyway.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I have complete confidence in Tony Bloom, whatever happens. The Amex means we have the potential for a secure future, in Tony's hands potential means certain. I can see no circumstance where we will 'live' above our means, our club is run in a very professional manner and with a bit of luck we can do a Norwich or a Swansea. It will happen, if not this year then probably next year, we are here to stay! Onwards and upwards.

Feb 14, 2010
This thread is an example of a cliche that is, when looked at, utter drivel but people buy into it because it gets repeated by enough people. If Albion go up, they get a huge amount of cash and Albion can buy better players. Albion might stay up like Norwich but if they come back down they still get a huge amount of cash for the next season by a parachute payment. Either way its a win / win and the infra structure at the club will go ahead either way.

Bottom line is, that with the size of Albion's support compared to say a Burnley, Blackpool, Bolton or Blackburn, then Brighton should be aiming for top flight, given Albion get double the gates than those types of clubs..and even bigger gates than Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday at the moment. Its just that the press have not cottoned onto that as it is a great cliche to say how big Weds and leeds are.. even tho' Brighton and Norwich both get bigger gates then those clubs.

Moral of the story? Ignore the cliches trotted out but the press.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This thread is an example of a cliche that is, when looked at, utter drivel but people buy into it because it gets repeated by enough people. If Albion go up, they get a huge amount of cash and Albion can buy better players. Albion might stay up like Norwich but if they come back down they still get a huge amount of cash for the next season by a parachute payment. Either way its a win / win and the infra structure at the club will go ahead either way.

Bottom line is, that with the size of Albion's support compared to say a Burnley, Blackpool, Bolton or Blackburn, then Brighton should be aiming for top flight, given Albion get double the gates than those types of clubs..and even bigger gates than Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday at the moment. Its just that the press have not cottoned onto that as it is a great cliche to say how big Weds and leeds are.. even tho' Brighton and Norwich both get bigger gates then those clubs.

there is however an issue with clubs going up and overspending with the result that if they don't stay up they have unsustainable costs and risk plummetting through the leagues - plenty of examples of that

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
"The remit is to continue the work that's already been achieved. There's big foundations that's already in place, but now we need to take the club to the next level. I am steadfast, as Paul Camillin and the guys at the club know, about not mentioning the 'P' word - ['Promotion'], because we have a lot to do to consolidate our position as to where we are, what we're doing and how we do it. Looking forward, we clearly want to play at the highest level that we possibly can, but 'progress' is the most important word for us. We've got to continue to progress, we've got to continue to build on what's there, and we've got to try and make the club the best it can be..." Paul Barber

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I tend to agree that we probably over performed for the first third of last season and combined with a rather poor start by many of the more fancied rivals this gave us an overly optimistic idea of our potential for Promotion, especially with the euphoria of being runaway Lge. 1 Champs and having The Amex too. Clearly we did not have the squad or the guile to win more and to grind out draws rather than losses, so finishing 10th or whatever was probably about right.

This season we have higher expectations now we have a stronger squad, but haven't got off to the same start. We might secure promotion into the Prem but without serious investment into the squad we will just be scrapping to get to 36 points or whatever means survival in the Premiership. Ok it will be great to have the kudos of being in the Prem but I wonder how many will enjoy their footie knowing that we probably would only get around 7 or 8 wins and 12 or so draws, plus an awful lot of bitten fingernails. Plus I fear it will cost us both arms and both legs to support The Albion especially away from home in the Premiership. I guess ticket prices at The Amex would increase because of servicing a premiership wage structure. Someone mentioned that Southampton are now charging £50 for an ordinary seat. I would love to see us in the Prem but there is something to be said for enjoying Championship footie.

Yes getting to the Premiership also means getting our hands on that precious Sky money which in turn means we would then spend more to increase our chance of survival and maybe even aspire to mid-Prem table life but my fear is that the parachute payments already so heavily discriminate against clubs like us that the die is already cast as to who are most likely to get promoted not only this season but also next when say Southampton come back down but get an unfair advantage because of their parachute payments.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Until we sign a decent striker all talk of Premier League is pie in the sky.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean

Great post!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I don't see anymention of the FA's FFP regulations which come into play at the end of this year. Clubs in the Championship have to be no more than £5m in the red, otherwise they face a transfer embargo the following season.

Talk of reaching the Premier League this year is a fanciful idea using the business model that Bloom et al are trying to promote. We have a wonderful opportunity now to be a club we can be proud of in the Championship, and until the Premier League also introduce a model in similar veins to the Championship or UEFA, then we have no chance of ever surviving there.

Stick to playing attractive, and exciting football in the Championship week in week out, and I'll be a happy man. I would hate to be promoted and be spanked every week because our model is based on FFP, whereas the Premier clubs can do what they bloody like without risk of punishment. No thanks.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It is a funny situation to be in isn't it? Of course you want your side to do well and go up but at the same time there is that nagging doubt that you aren't ready - which I do still believe. Our squad is not ready for the Prem. Some individual positons are yes, but not the squad.

The gulf between the Championship and Prem continues to amaze and surprise me. I’m just sitting here watching the Forest v Wigan game, the latter having given a run-out to a number of fringe and reserve players. In terms of movement, fitness, intelligence, just about everything really, the Prem is worlds apart. Forest, who were actually heavily tipped to cause an upset tonight, have been outclassed in every single area on the pitch (with two very special goals from Wigan). 3-0 at half-time.

Wayne Bridge for me is a classic example, a la Jason Roberts for Reading last year. Their fitness levels and reading of the game are ridiculous. I agree with the OP that two seasons in this division wouldn't do any harm whatsoever. Yes, we might lose Gus to pastures new if we fail to get promoted - he has made no secret that he wants to work in the Prem. But we are in a position now to attract a very decent manager and backroom staff to replace him and carry on his legacy.

We got the same reality check at Anfield and West Ham last season. Stoke the season before. Personally, I think this current Albion squad is nowhere near ready for the PL.

However, I think that Tony Bloom will loosen the purse strings if we are in a strong position when the next transfer window opens and with the money that will be available from the PL, IF we were to go up, would be used to ensure we stayed up without putting the club at risk. We have THE best Albion set up that any of us has ever seen, we'll be in the top flight very soon and our Chairman won't go there to get relegated after one season.

I'm enjoying the ride right now, especially when I see what's going on up the M23.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We got the same reality check at Anfield and West Ham last season. Stoke the season before. Personally, I think this current Albion squad is nowhere near ready for the PL.

However, I think that Tony Bloom will loosen the purse strings if we are in a strong position when the next transfer window opens and with the money that will be available from the PL, IF we were to go up, would be used to ensure we stayed up without putting the club at risk. We have THE best Albion set up that any of us has ever seen, we'll be in the top flight very soon and our Chairman won't go there to get relegated after one season.

I'm enjoying the ride right now, especially when I see what's going on up the M23.

Basically - THIS.

Gus does not have a gun to his head to get us up this season - though it would be great if we could. The reality, the one Gus has been talking about in terms of his targets, is the one I'm sticking with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here