Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another 2 seasons in the Championship will do you good

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Oh I completely agree. But I certainly don't think we should spend big to force getting there, look how many clubs have tried and failed. Leicester, Ipswich, to name just two from last season. If we get the chance we'd be mad not to take it, but gambling financially is not a risk worth taking.

I still don't feel we'd get anywhere near 12th though, but that's just me. Swansea/Norwich had the likes of Holt, Ruddy, Sinclair, Allen and so on.

Agreed, QPR have been spending biggest of the promoted 3 and they were the ones to struggle. They've continued to spend in an attempt to buy their survival in the premiership but look ost likely to suffer from 2nd season syndrome and I think are one of the three favourites for relegation.

It will be interesting to see where West Ham, Reading & Southampton finish this season although all 3 of those have been in the prem before

I heard an interesting stat recently, we have only 6 sides in the championship who haven't ever played in the premiership before

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Agree with these!!!! SPEND ASPEND SPEND!! We HAVE to get there now!11! SACK GUS!

Portsmou-who?

You really are a moron aren't you!

Where did anyone mention spending a penny?

It was a reply to the taffy's patronising post about us benefiting from 2 more seasons in the Championship. My view is that if/when we get a chance of promotion we should take it, because the financial rewards are massive.

If we go down again, the parachute payments will finance the building of a team capable of sustaining a Premiership place. If it means going up and down a few times, then so be it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I heard an interesting stat recently, we have only 6 sides in the championship who haven't ever played in the premiership before

I assume us, Peterborough, Cardiff, Bristol City, Huddersfield and...is it Millwall? I know they've been in the top league in my lifetime, but perhaps that was just before the Premier League started.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A considered post by the OP and something worth thinking about.

Ultimately though the problem you pose is not really exclusive to those teams wishing to play the 'Brighton' or 'Swansea' way, but more a recruitment issue regarding getting players in that can execute any style of play at the higher level if promotion is achieved.

You might argue that gradual recruitment of players during a longer period within the Championship might ease the problem, but I am not convinced.

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
i'd take a year in the premier league, keep the squad that got us there and then build on with the parachute payments

kind of what Blackpool have done

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
So by this logic, you would be happy to see us LOSE a number of games each season, thereby denying us the chance of promotion.

I thought the whole point of playing a game such as football is to WIN.

I do agree mr Hiney but if you take out logic and consider the feeling when you get home on a Saturday afternoon (which seems to be the only thing that people really care about as you'll get bigger attendances promotion chasing than relegation fighting), you've more chance of that winning smile from 46 Championship games than 38 Premiership games. Playing devils advocate a bit there of course, as I would love us to be in Prem!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

It was a reply to the taffy's patronising post about us benefiting from 2 more seasons in the Championship. My view is that if/when we get a chance of promotion we should take it, because the financial rewards are massive.

If we go down again, the parachute payments will finance the building of a team capable of sustaining a Premiership place. If it means going up and down a few times, then so be it.

I don't think it was patronising. I agree that it's good to go, as you say, parachute payments are ace. That said, financially we'd be even better off if we went up and stayed up!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I would be happy to go up this season, of course I would be. Who honestly wouldn't? But I do see the value in strengthening the squad and the style of football we play and the Championship is the best place to do that. I'm definitely an on the fence, can see the positives in both situations kinda guy.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The board, thankfully, has a plan of consolidation - walking before it can run etc. - all the while progressing towards being a top-flight club on and of the field. The bottom line is, we're not ready to go up - the management understands this (hence their target of the play-offs), and frustrating though it might be, the board understands this.

So the OP's original point has a lot of merit. It's interesting that you feel patronised because of it.

It's also interesting that you (along with others) would be satisfied with instability for the sake of quick money instead. I'd prefer the stability of staying up when we went up - not be satisfied with the regressive act of relegation.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Although the Championship is a good league it is running out of southern teams. Also, the better players get an itch to move if Premiership by promotion does not come.

Gawd knows what Becchio is still doing at Leeds? Five years of promises and if Leeds are not in the top four in January? If we do go up we will need four really good players. But we seem to have the full-backs and our keeper seems OK.

It is the Mark Lawrenson we have not got at the back, the Brian Horton in midfield (arguable) and Peter Ward (or top striker) upfront.

For my mind for the whole of last season, it was the class defender in the back four we were missing. It enables the midfielders to be more assured knowing if they do blunder there is somebody at the back that can clear up and rectify their mistakes.

And that is not to belittle Greer, one of our best players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So by this logic, you would be happy to see us LOSE a number of games each season, thereby denying us the chance of promotion.

I thought the whole point of playing a game such as football is to WIN.
No, my failed logic, stems from my utter contempt and loathing of the overblown bloated festering carcass that is the EPL.

Football is not more important that life and death, and I'm grateful Bill Shankley is no longer around to see what Liverpool et al have become chasing the greed and glory of top flight football.

Last edited:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Of course going up straight away is ideal but another 2 years could actually benefit you more.

I could easily see you going up and resorting to hoof ball to clear pressure, then if you are not scoring many goals resorting to long balls to create chances. Fans expectations would be raised and Gus possibly fired if you get relegated, putting away my crystal ball for a minute... Swansea greatly benefited from the years we spent in the championship where pressure was relieved and we could work on our style game after game with out fearing for our place in the division, we still have a large amount of the players we had from several years ago and these pairings have helped out overall team play greatly.
The year we finally went up we had a great balance across the team sheet, pacy wingers in my opinion were the main reason for our success.

And We have Ashley Barnes!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

^^^This.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really - I can only see 2 areas - full backs and keeper.
Goal keeper
Defence
Crofts - Midfield

What more do you want that hasn't already been highlighted by the manager?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The board, thankfully, has a plan of consolidation - walking before it can run etc. - all the while progressing towards being a top-flight club on and of the field. The bottom line is, we're not ready to go up - the management understands this (hence their target of the play-offs), and frustrating though it might be, the board understands this.

So the OP's original point has a lot of merit. It's interesting that you feel patronised because of it.

It's also interesting that you (along with others) would be satisfied with instability for the sake of quick money instead. I'd prefer the stability of staying up when we went up - not be satisfied with the regressive act of relegation.
This idea that the board has a plan that you imply is so precisely linked to eventual promotion to the Premiership - where do you get this idea from?

The way I see it, they have a financial plan which naturally includes wage restrictions, and perhaps it is not sufficient to guarantee promotion, but that's not to say the club isn't aiming for promotion ASAP which is all [MENTION=12740]pork pie[/MENTION] is actually saying.

We have a stadium, a commercial team, and possibly even a playing squad all fit to grace the Premiership. If we made it, we would probably come back down again, but maybe not. Blackpool (perhaps) and West Brom are both examples of clubs yo-yoing for a few seasons, and crucially refusing to break a wage structure that over that period of time has seen those clubs grow relatively stronger.

Personally, I think we might find it harder to get promoted later if we don't do it this time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It would be great fun if we challenge this season for promotion. However if it is not achieved then calling for Gus' head would be crazy.

Our finances are not particularly good, there was a significant overspend last season that TB is keen to address, and that has a knock on effect on everything else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here