Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another 2 seasons in the Championship will do you good

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
I've read posts on here saying Gus may be in trouble if you don't go up this season, I don't think these people realise that it would be more beneficial long term if you stayed for a little while longer with your passing/possession philosophy improving and embedded in all areas from reserves to youth team. Would probably be difficult for you to go up and having to change a large portion of your team and then maintain your style and fluidity, while you are in this division the pressure is off and you can improve every foundation of your club.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wouldn't mind a couple more seasons in the Championship, I like the competitive nature of this league......I suspect Gus and our chairman want things to happen a bit sooner than that though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I reckon one more season in the Championship, then next season we will go up.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've read posts on here saying Gus may be in trouble if you don't go up this season, I don't think these people realise that it would be more beneficial long term if you stayed for a little while longer with your passing/possession philosophy improving and embedded in all areas from reserves to youth team. Would probably be difficult for you to go up and having to change a large portion of your team and then maintain your style and fluidity, while you are in this division the pressure is off and you can improve every foundation of your club.

We need to improve the squad, leaps and bounds to get a firm foothold in the EPL if we were lucky enough to get promoted, so although it would be good to go up at the end of this season, another season or two in the NPC sits comfortably with me as long as we show progression on the field.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If we went to the Premiership now it would be like Swindon a few years back we would be mullered week in week out and subsequently when relegated the crowds would drop.

Need at least another two years to strenghthen the Gus philosophy and have the new acedamy bedded in.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've read posts on here saying Gus may be in trouble if you don't go up this season, I don't think these people realise that it would be more beneficial long term if you stayed for a little while longer with your passing/possession philosophy improving and embedded in all areas from reserves to youth team. Would probably be difficult for you to go up and having to change a large portion of your team and then maintain your style and fluidity
I agree it'll be fine for us to stay in the championship, but Swansea have done ok (even if they do come back down). To suggest Gus could be in trouble is daft though, we are not close to being in the top 3 spenders in this division.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Agree Brian. I would never say no to promotion, or not try to be as good as we possibly can be, but it's certainly not a disaster if we don't go up in the very near future.

The Championship is a fantastic league and whilst I would love to see us in the Premiership, I'm really enjoying the Championship at the moment.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
To suggest Gus could be in trouble is daft though, we are not close to being in the top 3 spenders in this division.

There are plenty of pillocks on here who seem to think Gus has been a FAILURE if he doesn't deliver us the Prem (on a golden platter) within this season or next.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are plenty of pillocks on here who seem to think Gus has been a FAILURE if he doesn't deliver us the Prem (on a golden platter) within this season or next.
There are, but that doesn't mean he'll be in trouble.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Bollox! We need to go up as soon as we possibly can. Even if it is a case of going straight back down. Nobody can afford to ignore the money you get from even one season.

D

Deleted member 18477

Bollox! We need to go up as soon as we possibly can. Even if it is a case of going straight back down. Nobody can afford to ignore the money you get from even one season.

This. 1 season in the prem followed by 3 seasons back in the championship with parachute payments pockets a club around 100million FFS!

2 seasons in the prem pockets you over 100 million FFS!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

This. 1 season in the prem followed by 3 seasons back in the championship with parachute payments pockets a club around 100million FFS!

2 seasons in the prem pockets you over 100 million FFS!

Agree with these!!!! SPEND ASPEND SPEND!! We HAVE to get there now!11! SACK GUS!

Portsmou-who?

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I agree the Championship is a great league to watch football and would be happy with a couple more seasons. Also we have a lot of players who's contracts expire within the next 1 to 2 years who aren't good enough now, let alone for Prem football and unless we get buyers for them, they still take a chunk of the wage bill that prevents us building the squad any further or recruiting players of the sufficient quality for promotion. I reckon Swansea have got it about right with their gradual squad building. I'd be surprised if they get relegated this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd love us to stay in the Championship for the foreseeable future.
I don't like the PL, I don't like the nature of the 'competition'.

I hate the 'finish 4th from bottom' mentality.

It doesn't matter how you dress it up that will be us.

As said, the competitive nature of the Championship is great.
But then again it's not my £120 million on the line, and a mahooosive pay day just one league away.

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
Of course going up straight away is ideal but another 2 years could actually benefit you more.

I could easily see you going up and resorting to hoof ball to clear pressure, then if you are not scoring many goals resorting to long balls to create chances. Fans expectations would be raised and Gus possibly fired if you get relegated, putting away my crystal ball for a minute... Swansea greatly benefited from the years we spent in the championship where pressure was relieved and we could work on our style game after game with out fearing for our place in the division, we still have a large amount of the players we had from several years ago and these pairings have helped out overall team play greatly.
The year we finally went up we had a great balance across the team sheet, pacy wingers in my opinion were the main reason for our success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here