Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anna Mears

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Big f***ing elbows that stick out at convenient moments. How the hell did Pendleton get relegated to second place?
Was The Australian Illuminati involved?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I agree it was a shame that Victoria P. couldn't take the Gold in her final race, it would have been so sweet against her arch rival too. I think Mears was very clever in trying to put off VP in the first sprint, although it all happens in a split second and racing bikes at that speed are so twitchy so difficult to see how VP would avoid crosiing the line. The rules are quite clear. This clearly affected her for the second sprint and allowed herself to be suckered into sprinting first. In spite of their rivalry VP was understandably upset but also generous in defeat which was classy. Interesting that she described the feeling of relief knowing that she didn't have to get on the bike again which shows the pressures on the foremost athletes.

Maybe it is ok to let the Aussies to win a gold or two as it was getting embarrassing. As someone mentioned it looked like the Aussies had boycotted the London Olympics. Te he.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I see Australia have just won gold in the sailing as well as Mears' gold in the cycling.

I presume these still don't count as they're sitting down sports? Or isn't that the case now that Australia have won a few of them?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Well if its ok to elbow the rival cyclist adjacent to you to gain an advantage in a gold medal race, then it will start happening more often.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Ridiculous in the Triathlon that our Bronze guy got on his bike 2cm early! 2cm! Which gave him no advantage at all and yet he got a 15 second penalty for it. Not sure if he would have challenged for silver/gold without the penalty, but even so.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I just saw the footage for the first time today, and Meares clearly barged Pendleton out of her lane, I find it mystifying that Pendleton was penalised for that as there was very little else show could have done.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Dave Brailsford was apparently apoplectic with the Commissar, it was a joke decision, but this particular commissar is always quite pernickety.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I just saw the footage for the first time today, and Meares clearly barged Pendleton out of her lane, I find it mystifying that Pendleton was penalised for that as there was very little else show could have done.

I'm slightly baffled. How can the rider higher up on the bank push the rider on the lower part of the bank out of her lane when she ended up higher on the bank?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm slightly baffled. How can the rider higher up on the bank push the rider on the lower part of the bank out of her lane when she ended up higher on the bank?

She pushed her down but in trying to readjust Vicky overcompensated and went out of her lane. It's hard enough keeping in the lane at those speeds without someone elbowing you!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
If a rider moves in an opposing riders lane they are given some leeway to use the elbow to push them off to avoid contact.

Meares moved alongside Pendleton and her elbow outstretched into VP. If she'd gone any closer then she would have crossed into the sprinters lane.

As for your earlier question - if you are on a bike and you get nudged it is human nature to overcorrect to get you balance back and that is how she crossed over the red line. In fact I would go further than to say human nature - it's probably the laws of physics.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I thought VP was very unlucky and it clearly affected her ride in the second race. We are now going to be victims of our own success. The slightest indiscretion and we will be thrown out.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
She pushed her down but in trying to readjust Vicky overcompensated and went out of her lane. It's hard enough keeping in the lane at those speeds without someone elbowing you!

My take on it was that VP slightly lost her balance coming into the last turn. Her shifting ground and leaving her lane wasn't intentional but due to her slight wobble.

As she drifted up into Meares lane she slightly dropped her shoulder, At that time Meares pushes out with her elbow as VP moves up into her lane.

All that happens in a 15 metre stretch and by the time they nhit the line both had balanced up again.

She did shift up the track slightly and the Commisaire by the rule book made the correct call. But some discretion probably should have been shown given both riders finished over the line balanced up.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My take on it was that VP slightly lost her balance coming into the last turn. Her shifting ground and leaving her lane wasn't intentional but due to her slight wobble.

As she drifted up into Meares lane she slightly dropped her shoulder, At that time Meares pushes out with her elbow as VP moves up into her lane.

All that happens in a 15 metre stretch and by the time they nhit the line both had balanced up again.

She did shift up the track slightly and the Commisaire by the rule book made the correct call. But some discretion probably should have been shown given both riders finished over the line balanced up.

were you watching the same race as the rest of us or did you have a CGI version shown is australia? Because it bears no relation to reality. VP (and I'm not her biggest fan) was still in the sprinters lane and had not moved from it when she was elbowed by Mears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here