Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

andy whing- is this TRUE

Oct 25, 2003
obviously it's only on wikipedia, but

"After being left out of Brighton's F.A Cup game Vs Aston Villa, Whing a lifelong Villa fan watched the game from the Holte end cheering on Aston Villa."

is this TRUE?

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I think I saw him during the warm-up over the far side in an Albion tracksuit signing autographs by the dug-outs. After that I cant comfirm. Wouldnt be surprised though.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I think he should have at least been on the bench and given a 20 minute run out. He's been a good servant to club...

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Was in the Mirror yesterday that he wanted to see it from his season ticket seat

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
we are clearly all far too sentimental to ever be allowed to run a football club which is, after all, a multi-million pound business.......but the wiki entry is someone's idea of funny cos he was with the other non-playing squad members and families etc in attendance. That said you would have to guess that he is likely to go out on loan at least

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He was quoted in an article re-posted on here recently that if he wasn't in the team he would sit in the holte end. Whether he went through with it or not I don't know, but perhaps someone took that quote and the fact he wasn't in the team and just made the assumption he was telling the truth.

Last edited:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
He's a Villa fan, it's one of their best chances of winning a trophy in quite some time, so, probably?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So what! The guy is a Villa fan through and through and because of his job, he doesn't get to see them that often. Had he been playing then I don't doubt he would have given the albion 100% effort as he always does. I'm not his greatest fan but I don't think you can ask someone to turn away from the club they have always followed. If the boot was on the other foot, would you turn your back on Brighton.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
He was quoted in an article re-posted on here recently that if he wasn't in the team he would sit in the hoyte end. Whether he went through with it or not I don't know, but perhaps someone took that quote and the fact he wasn't in the team and just made the assumption he was telling the truth.

Think thats a long way off from happening..........

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shocking!! a football player who supports a football team that he doesnt play for, and that of his youth too. something should be done about that, we cant have footballers caring about the game itself.

shocking!! a football player who supports a football team that he doesnt play for, and that of his youth too. something should be done about that, we cant have footballers caring about the game itself.
Quite right.

These days, most talented young footballers seem to be snatched from real life by some "academy" or other at the age of ten or eleven and, if they are "lucky", they are groomed into a protected world where going out with your mates is off-limits. In exchange for this, they are allowed to "dream the dream" of vast wealth coming their way by the time they are 21 years old. And then, when it's too late to become a regular fan like the rest of us, they are dumped by their clubs at the age of 18.

Whingy seems to have bypassed some of this. I say good luck to him.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It is very hard to find any amount of criticism for a player who initially joined us on loan, then returned to his parent club and made it known that he wanted to return to Brighton for good...finally achieving his wish at a later date...how many players who could probably have joined a club higher than the Albion, at least at that stage, have ever made it so clear how much we meant to them as a player. I am struggling to think of any.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Why? Gus picks the team and subs and Whingy did not figure in that so tough tits. If we want to rise to play teams like Villa every week there is no room for sentiment I am afraid.

I hardly think it's sentiment to allow the reigning player of the season a place on the bench.

andycapp

Jan 4, 2010
would have been nice to have given him a place on the bench, i like gus poyet but i think he was a little bit mean to the player, once in a life time experience for a lot of players, playing against the team you support,

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Would Andy rather have sat on the bench, and not come on, or sat in the stands with his old man, watching his two teams put on a great performance, and a decent result whoever you support. I'm sure he didn't mind too much.

Move on.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
It was a joke to put that pile of shit Hoyte on the bench instead of Whingy. Its not just because he is a lifelong Villa fan but the clear fact he is a far better player than the Arsenal reject. Im very disappointed in Poyet because of this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here