Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylors last tweets (re Vicente & CMS)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
What did it say?

Quite a lengthy interview with Gus, this is the Hoskins bit

Gus: " people like Will Hoskins would prefer to move and not wait. Unfortunately for Will he hasn't played as much as probably he thought the day he left in January.

He can't blame me, that's for sure because I didn't say he needed to go. I said he would have to wait and if you take it when you have the chance you are going to play like anyone else. But he said 'no' because I am going to play there. Okay, now we know.

He is under contract, he's coming back for pre season, we'll see. You need to learn and there is no better situation than when you make the decision, because we didn't make it for him. Maybe for him to be on the bench every week at Sheffield United is better than being here.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I am talking about his public comment not what he may or may not have said to Vicente in private. You need to learn how to read.Ultimately, I think we'd all be gutted if Vicente left.

I'm fully aware what you were talking about. My point is, that whatever Gus is saying in public probably has no effect on whether Vicente wants to stay or not, as they will be talking about it properly in private, and Vicente cant speak English anyway. You suggested that Vicente would be leaving because Gus hasn't made him feel wanted, which as usual is not only bollocks, but something you can have absolutely no way of knowing, and have just completely made up.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
If you're going to take that one quote out of context, then it can look like that.

But, it is out of context.

You may well be right and perhaps I shouldn't view things as negatively as I tend to do. I really do think that short of nailing him down we should be doing evrything we can to retain Vicente.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You may well be right and perhaps I shouldn't view things as negatively as I tend to do. I really do think that short of nailing him down we should be doing evrything we can to retain Vicente.

How do you nail him down?

Money - the one thing that nails most people down - isn't an issue, we're told.

The approach Gus takes - "it's up to you..." - is the same one he took to lure CMS in the face of some pretty stiff competition. And face it, irrespective of how the season has panned out for him, who wasn't excited at the time by CMS' arrival?

My take - and I have no evidence one way or the other - is that I believe the things that lured Vicente here in the first place are the things that will keep him here next season. In that sense, little has changed.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I'm fully aware what you were talking about. My point is, that whatever Gus is saying in public probably has no effect on whether Vicente wants to stay or not, as they will be talking about it properly in private, and Vicente cant speak English anyway. You suggested that Vicente would be leaving because Gus hasn't made him feel wanted, which as usual is not only bollocks, but something you can have absolutely no way of knowing, and have just completely made up.

But why not publicly say, "We're delighted to have you at the club and really want you to stay next year"? Whay say something that suggests to the average reader that you don't care one way or the other? That's the point I was trying to make.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
How do you nail him down?

Money - the one thing that nails most people down - isn't an issue, we're told.

The approach Gus takes - "it's up to you..." - is the same one he took to lure CMS in the face of some pretty stiff competition. And face it, irrespective of how the season has panned out for him, who wasn't excited at the time by CMS' arrival?

My take - and I have no evidence one way or the other - is that I believe the things that lured Vicente here in the first place are the things that will keep him here next season. In that sense, little has changed.

Let's hope so.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

See you're wrong again, nailing him down is EXACTLY what we should be doing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But why not publicly say, "We're delighted to have you at the club and really want you to stay next year"? Whay say something that suggests that you don't care one way or the other? That's the point I was trying to make.

Because I think you're reading it wrong.

He has his ongoing conversations, and has probably made it plain to him he wants him (possibly forever), but making a public statement about it puts an unwanted pressure on him, especially when he wishes to exercise no pressure.

He would want it to be known that Vicente's choice to stay (should that be the case) is ultimately Vicente's - and Vicente's alone.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But why not publicly say, "We're delighted to have you at the club and really want you to stay next year"? Whay say something that suggests to the average reader that you don't care one way or the other? That's the point I was trying to make.

Yeah OK fair enough, but I think Vicente must know he is wanted, I'm sure in private Gus is begging him to stay. But Gus is a player's Manager, if Vicente can move on to a higher level he wouldn't stand in his way. Which although is frustrating, it's the right thing to do, and it makes Gus a Manager that players want to come and play for.

Sorry for calling you an idiot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite a lengthy interview with Gus, this is the Hoskins bit

Gus: " people like Will Hoskins would prefer to move and not wait. Unfortunately for Will he hasn't played as much as probably he thought the day he left in January.

He can't blame me, that's for sure because I didn't say he needed to go. I said he would have to wait and if you take it when you have the chance you are going to play like anyone else. But he said 'no' because I am going to play there. Okay, now we know.

He is under contract, he's coming back for pre season, we'll see. You need to learn and there is no better situation than when you make the decision, because we didn't make it for him. Maybe for him to be on the bench every week at Sheffield United is better than being here.

Whether he knows it or not I think Hoskins has probably signed off his own permanent transfer out of here. Sounds similar to McNulty last season

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yeah OK fair enough, but I think Vicente must know he is wanted, I'm sure in private Gus is begging him to stay. But Gus is a player's Manager, if Vicente can move on to a higher level he wouldn't stand in his way. Which although is frustrating, it's the right thing to do, and it makes Gus a Manager that players want to come and play for.

Sorry for calling you an idiot.

No problem. Alas, you're not the first person to do so.

:)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if Vicente can move on to a higher level he wouldn't stand in his way. Which although is frustrating, it's the right thing to do, and it makes Gus a Manager that players want to come and play for.

Very much this. Gus has a record of not standing in the way of any player who wishes to better himself. I'm sure this approach has enabled us to get players, or extend the contract of players, who would not other wise have considered us.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.

An interesting civilized couple of pages And I share TLOs point that SOMETHING lured him to a 'new' lower league English club struggling to find its way up the ladder. I disagree however that nothing has changed, for starters he'll 'probably' be playing in front of bigger crowds next season and he'll DEFINITELY be playing alongside better players that can cope more with this level (either existing or new players). Also TB is very likely to give him more money.
So a lot has changed to make it more appealing for him to stay but the big worry is if he thinks it'll take just too damn long for this club to learn touch-and-go Latin possession football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here