Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andre Villas-Boas...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
has lost the plot, IMHO.

"Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas thinks English football should seriously consider following the Spanish model by allowing Premier League clubs to field "B" sides in the Football League - or even permitting the purchase of smaller rivals for use as feeder teams — to allow young prospects the best possible chance of fulfilling their talent."

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
He doesn't understand the amount of support for lower league clubs and the sense of identity that local supporters have with the 'smaller' clubs, that's all.

The idea is horrible.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This is not helpful, and will be a constant drip feed from the big clubs in the coming years. First time I've hoped a manager gets the sack.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well we are Norwich feeder team so why not?

What?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I can see why, reserve teams in any league do not get enough competetive football to enable them to fit into the first team with ease when required. It's a problem for us, as well as any PL team.

However, if it is such a problem, perhaps the PL teams in particular need to set up an official reserve league? Realise this wont strictly be that competetive but shince up a nice cup for it or something and pool together a prize fund. I know this might not be realisting for Championship teams struggling financially.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as a half way house, i assume he'll have many of the young players go out on loan then?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Is a **** ???

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It would be a joke, imagine how good Man City B would be and it would make the Championship as uncompetetive as the prem.

Then what happens when Man City B win the championship and get promoted to the prem - would Man City A stop their B players playing against them like the loan system ?

I disagree the prem is not competitive though, this season especially has shown that any team can beat any other, and we have at least 3 teams battling for the title with 3 others close behind - not many leagues are that competitive.

Then what happens when Man City B win the championship and get promoted to the prem - would Man City A stop their B players playing against them like the loan system ?

I disagree the prem is not competitive though, this season especially has shown that any team can beat any other, and we have at least 3 teams battling for the title with 3 others close behind - not many leagues are that competitive.

B teams can't get promoted to the top league - they stay in the league below and the promotion positions get moved accordingly (i.e. 2nd and 3rd would be automatically promoted if a B team finished 1st). I also disagree that these B teams would walk the Championship. They aren't 2nd XIs for players on the bench for the first team, but are generally entirely seperate youth teams, often with their own stadia, manager and coaching setup. I vaguelly recall there being some restrictions on the amount that a player can be moved between the two teams in Spain; something like once they've played for the 'A' team they can't then play for the B team that season. As such they are generally proper youth teams.

The fundamental difference is that generally the Segunda Division in Spain is full of complete no-marks; the average attendances are in line with League One, not the Championship. In this country you couldn't bring them into the Championship because you'd be putting out large crowds with many more supporters than the B teams - and I suspect in League One the level of competition wouldn't be sufficiently high to make it worthwhile anyway. A complete non-starter as far as I can see.

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard

The 'B' teams won't be able to get promoted, I guess.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
This story comes up every 10 years or so, usually from someone who doesn't understand the nature of the English pyramid, or what clubs means to their supporters and communities.

It'd only be a valid option if clubs stayed in Tier 2 always - but even in today's money dominated football clubs have the potential to move up and down the leagues, and once you make one a "feeder" or "nursery" club then that option has been taken away.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
B teams can't get promoted to the top league - they stay in the league below and the promotion positions get moved accordingly (i.e. 2nd and 3rd would be automatically promoted if a B team finished 1st). I also disagree that these B teams would walk the Championship. They aren't 2nd XIs for players on the bench for the first team, but are generally entirely seperate youth teams, often with their own stadia, manager and coaching setup. I vaguelly recall there being some restrictions on the amount that a player can be moved between the two teams in Spain; something like once they've played for the 'A' team they can't then play for the B team that season. As such they are generally proper youth teams.

The fundamental difference is that generally the Segunda Division in Spain is full of complete no-marks; the average attendances are in line with League One, not the Championship. In this country you couldn't bring them into the Championship because you'd be putting out large crowds with many more supporters than the B teams - and I suspect in League One the level of competition wouldn't be sufficiently high to make it worthwhile anyway. A complete non-starter as far as I can see.

Interesting, thanks. Still not right for us though.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong

Point taken, the Prem is a little better this year, especially compared to La Liga.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I wouldn't be suprised to see a Chelsea side in the Championship within the next 10 years, but not in the way AVB intends.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here