Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And now for something completely different: The Flaming Lips. Help required.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I want to explore this band a bit more. They've released a total of thirteen albums but I've only got At War With The Mystics and Embryonic. Both quite spectacular but different albums. What two should I get next?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - 'cos it's their best, of course.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'The Soft Bulletin' is better imo but 'Yoshimi....' is a cracker of an album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are there other albums as diverse? At War is quite commercial, whilst Embryonic is a lot more difficult and subtle.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I would say both 'The Soft Bulletin' and 'Yoshimi....' have a fairly commercial sound with 'Yoshimi...' being the more polished of the albums. Earlier albums I couldn't comment on, always meant to try 'Zaireeka' but you need 4 CD players so never really got round to it :)

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I've got Zaireeka and have never listened to it, due to the impracticality of having to play 4 cds simultaneously. I really should get round to it one day...

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
Are there other albums as diverse? At War is quite commercial, whilst Embryonic is a lot more difficult and subtle.

embryonic reminds me of their 90s stuff before the soft bulletin, yoshimi and at war with the mystics.. if you like the psychedelic stuff listen to 90s stuff.. avoid their first three albums, imo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
always meant to try 'Zaireeka' but you need 4 CD players so never really got round to it :)

I've just read about this album. How does it work? Surely if you just plonk the 4 discs in 4 seperate Cd players it will all be slightly out of synch...or is this the point? Or am I missing something?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Best of the old stuff (ie pre-Soft Bulletin) is Cloud Tastes Metallic, but to be honest unless you're really mad about them I wouldn't really bother. They released two out and out classics in The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and if you like At War With the Mystics you really need to hear these two albums! Also, go and see them live - the best live band on the planet!

Herr Tubthumper - I think that is exactly the point, although I haven't heard Zaireeka myself!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
embryonic reminds me of their 90s stuff before the soft bulletin, yoshimi and at war with the mystics.. if you like the psychedelic stuff listen to 90s stuff.. avoid their first three albums, imo.

yes, I do like the psychedelic stuff. It reminds me slightly of parts of Super Furry Animals albums.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I've just read about this album. How does it work? Surely if you just plonk the 4 discs in 4 seperate Cd players it will all be slightly out of synch...or is this the point? Or am I missing something?
well try and press the button at the same time, but you can do it with only 2 or 3.. it all works.. in a way :laugh:

theres a 5 short clips in wiki that explains it.. its a great album and idea just need the time and resources to do it

Zaireeka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr Tubthumper - I think that is exactly the point, although I haven't heard Zaireeka myself!

MMmmm. I'm intrigued by this album now. The singer chap says that it was planned as a communal listening experience (I'm guessing you need to invite friends round with extra CD players...and probably tons of drugs as well), and not intended for anyone beyond their most fervent fans.

I think this could take some planning but I intend to rise to the challenge.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
oh and if you want to listen to zaireeka, i believe there was a limited release on the ten year anniversary of a cd that contained what would have have been the 5-10 discs, its around online :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
oh and if you want to listen to zaireeka, i believe there was a limited release on the ten year anniversary of a cd that contained what would have have been the 5-10 discs, its around online :)

I had a look on Amazon and they only had one copy of it left...so I have snapped it up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here