Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An RIP thread

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Paul Scofield

Actor and Old Varndeanian and dead aged 86.

paul-scofield.jpg

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
He was great in Man for all Seasons and won an Oscar.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...and a leading figure in the black civil rights movement. He was persecuted by the McCarthyist led purges. Didn't hre also play Othello in a Hollywood production. I always get him mixed up with Sidney Poitier so could be wrong.

I've got an album of his too. He sings such classics as "Old man river" so deep and powerfully. He also dueted with Emma Forbes for Children In Need 1991 where his singing was to help him land the role of Joe Gatting and the Technicolour Dream Yawn.

Kind of puts it all into perspective.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
...and a leading figure in the black civil rights movement. He was persecuted by the McCarthyist led purges. Didn't hre also play Othello in a Hollywood production. I always get him mixed up with Sidney Poitier so could be wrong.

I've got an album of his too. He sings such classics as "Old man river" so deep and powerfully. He also dueted with Emma Forbes for Children In Need 1991 where his singing was to help him land the role of Joe Gatting and the Technicolour Dream Yawn.

Kind of puts it all into perspective.

I never knew Gordon the Gopher had such range, RIP GG

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Blimey, they're dropping like flies at the mo', what with Arthur C. Clarke and Minghella! :down:

Loved Scofield's zealous bastard role in The Crucible...a top film!

RIP Man of Sussex :down::down:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Paul Scofield

Actor and Old Varndeanian and dead aged 86.

paul-scofield.jpg

The best film I ever saw and still think it is that to this day was A Man For All Seasons. Paul Scofield played Sir Thomas More.

Brilliant actor

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wasn`t he from Balcombe. Or am I thinking of old Mrs Jones who ran the village stores there. I always get them mixed up.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They could now do an episode of LOTSW in heaven

there is foggy, Compo, Thora Hurd, Barry Nora Batty's Husband, Annie( the cafe owner) 's Husband

Its like 'Allo Allo - there is hardly any of them left

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Wasn`t he from Balcombe. Or am I thinking of old Mrs Jones who ran the village stores there. I always get them mixed up.

He was indeed, did lots of work for the school and library. Went to all the local am/drams too. The finest actor from the finest county.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
[yt]-RZKd1be05Q[/yt]

Paul Scofield:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He was indeed, did lots of work for the school and library. Went to all the local am/drams too. The finest actor from the finest county.

I bet him whilst building Mathew Harding`s dad`s conservatory. How about that for a double name drop.

The only conservatory I`ve ever built that had a tree growing through the roof as he could not bear to have it chopped down.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Yep, he was from Balcombe. I used to deliver his paper on my round as a kid. Always generous, though I was wary of his yappy dog!! Did a lot for the village too, taking part / lending experience in amateur productions. So you built Paul Harding's conservatory eh "Questions"? He died a few years back, very sad because he was a good old boy - loved a beer down at the local. Just a shame he got Matthew interested in Chelsea rather than the Albion!! RIP Balcombe's most famous resident, will be missed.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yep, he was from Balcombe. I used to deliver his paper on my round as a kid. Always generous, though I was wary of his yappy dog!! Did a lot for the village too, taking part / lending experience in amateur productions. So you built Paul Harding's conservatory eh "Questions"? He died a few years back, very sad because he was a good old boy - loved a beer down at the local. Just a shame he got Matthew interested in Chelsea rather than the Albion!! RIP Balcombe's most famous resident, will be missed.

I did not know he had died. He was a smashing chap.
He used to bring me out mugs of real lemonade and as it was the height of summer and I was in a conservatory (how hot ) he used to tell me to cool off in the pool.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Yep, very sad. They used to have a lot of pool parties. Mate of mine nearly killed himself diving in head first at the shallow end!! Ouch!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here