Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Observation About Mark Chapman

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Had he not killed John Lennon he would have surely been out by now?

I don't condone what he did and punishmnet was due but i just get the feeling that people would take a different view had he murdered Joe Bloggs or even Joe Bloggs from a band less revered than the Beatles.

I think its appalling the the judicial system can be swayed by some misty eyed protestations from Beatles fans led by that 'mad as a box of frogs' Yoko Ono.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
gazwag said:
Life should mean life - in all cases

Oh dear. Just as i finished my post i was considering adding a statement about that DOH!

My post is not an invitation to debate that particular issue and in fact i would agree with that sentiment in theory. Unfortunately the reality is that hundreds of murderers who have been given life sentences have been released and will continue to be.

My question is whether a society can tweak the established processes just to be so vengeful because of the loss of a perceived icon. You could spin this to suggest that somehow it's less of a sin to murder Joe Bloggs rather than a celebrity like Lennon.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
If he came out, he'd only get shanked by some crazed-beatles revenge maniac.

(PS- The Beatles were overrated anyway.)

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
There is the issue of rehabilitation. I don't think that Chapman is remorseful and there is some suggestion that he may still pose a threat to the public or Lennon's family.

I think that this might keep any killer behind bars in the US, no matter who had been murdered.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Was he a nutter, I can't remember.

It strikes me that when a celebrity is murdered the perpetrator is quite often a nutter and therefore I would assume that is more the reason that the stay behind bars longer than the average murderer, if there is such a thing.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
He was totally on a different planet. inventing his own little world with strange little people (toy figures)!!

I may be wrong but I think he also felt Lennon was evil and needed assasinating!! Reports from his school suggested he was a weirdo there too!!

:nono:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I'm off the belief that Chapman was working for the FBI, and was assigned to assassinate Lennon due to his anti-war sentiments. Chapman believed that he would have immunity from prosecution due to working for the government, but was betrayed by the FBI and left to serve his sentence, going slightly loopy in the process.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
D'Angelo Saxon said:
If he came out, he'd only get shanked by some crazed-beatles revenge maniac.

A distinct possibilty! And of course if jailed would that person really get life with no chance of parole or would there be extenuating circumstances on the basis of a service to all Beatles fans:p

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Northstander said:
He was totally on a different planet. inventing his own little world with strange little people (toy figures)!!

yeah but what about Chapman?

yellow submarine...indeed :rolleyes:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd get at Mark Chapman without a second's reflection.

Didn't the same principal apply to Myra Hindley? If she hadn't been as infamous as she was, she would - rightly or wrongly - have been let out long before she died. But no Home Secretary could have done that and got away with it.

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I guess he has been inside longer than he would have if he'd killed lennon over here - but in the states?

Don't they put people away for hundreds of years?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Yawn. No they weren't. There was some cack but considering the number of albums they produced they were awesome and their music changed to good effect with the times.

Compare them to the quality expected these days. How many Cds did, say, Oasis produce? And apart from the first two, were they any good?

f*** it - why don't you tell us another myth, like how Ringo Star wasn't a good drummer. :nono:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Man of Harveys said:
I'd get at Mark Chapman without a second's reflection.

Didn't the same principal apply to Myra Hindley? If she hadn't been as infamous as she was, she would - rightly or wrongly - have been let out long before she died. But no Home Secretary could have done that and got away with it.

Too true about Myra.

Interesting thing about that case is the media coverage. Originally Hindley was portrayed as a victim under the sway of the mad bloke, Bradey. Pretty quickly though the press decided there was more mileage in demonising her and she was transformed into the villain of the piece.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Simster said:
Yawn. No they weren't. There was some cack but considering the number of albums they produced they were awesome and their music changed to good effect with the times.

Compare them to the quality expected these days. How many Cds did, say, Oasis produce? And apart from the first two, were they any good?

They were a boy band.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
D'Angelo Saxon said:
They were a boy band.

Yes. In fact, Westlife are better.:dunce:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Man of Harveys said:
Yes. In fact, Westlife are better.:dunce:

I'm not saying that. They're different eras. But many Westlife fans will be having this argument when they grow up, with people like me. The Beatles were pop-music, and they should be talked about as such, rather than a world phenomenon who's members got a few ideas above their station.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It sounds like Mr Saxon doesn't understand the impact the Beatles had. They weren't just a band who had a few number ones. They were a phenomenom which changed popular music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here