Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amsterdam - Advise please

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Am going on a (non football related!) weekend to Amsterdam with the wife.

I have been there many years ago, however it was with football and apart from drink I did very little else.

Advise and suggestions please for reasonable hotels, mid price range.

This time I'd like to take in some of the City's attractions, so what are the 'must - see, must do's' sights please?

So far I've got the Heineiken Brewery Tour, Anne Frank's House, Coffee Houses, Van Gogh Museum.....

Over to you NSC

Thanks

Last edited:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
i quite enjoyed the clothes shopping when we were over there last.... sounds silly, but the vintage/2nd hand stores that are now ridiculously expensive and fashionable over there have some WICKED stuff and all dirt cheap.

obviously the coffee shops are on your list.

and when i was there last month, burger king did some WELL nice cheese and bacon bites :lolol:

...playing a show there monday again so will be indulging once more... :clap:

(maybe not in the BK innit)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I took the wife earlier this year. Went to the Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank house, boat trip which was good. Also toured the red light district, did the sex museum (worth a visit) and some shopping. Its a three day city, not much longer unless you like art a lot.

And watch out for the bikes!!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If you can manage it, take in a game at the Amsterdam Arena, you will not be disappointed.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Catch a train to the stadium, think you might be able to get a tram out there as well, it can't be more than 15 minutes from the city centre and is not far from where you change lines to go to the airport.

Have a look on this website: www.ns.nl

You can view the site in English, just in case your Dutch is a bit rusty.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If you want to enjoy the products available in many cafes then you should do it sooner rather than later, I moved back to the UK from NL 3 years ago and at that stage the Dutch Govt wanted to ban smoking in all public buildings and places...that would mean an end to smoking weed in cafes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When we went the highlights were the Anne Frank house (go later in the day as the queues are less) and the Amsterdam Arena Tour.

Also there was a nice town called Harleem a few train stations away which was pleasant.

Don't miss the Anne Frank house no matter what - very moving and the Arena is about 10 minutes out of town by train, underground about 25 minutes.

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
If you're heading to the ArenA you want the Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA station, about 10 mins from Centraal. The overland train is faster than the metro as Beach Hut says, as it makes fewer stops en route.

Haarlem is quite pretty, but only really worth the excursion if you're into Old Masters art, in which case you have to visit the Frans Hals Museum there. In terms of nearby cities I think Leiden and Utrecht are both nicer.

If you like decent (i.e. not Dutch) beer, then while in Amsterdam the two best serious bars for Belgian nectar are In De Wildeman (Kolksteeg 3) and Gollem (Raamsteeg 4), both pretty central close to the Singel canal.

For the record, the best beer bar in Haarlem is the Beiaard (Zijlstraat 56), and the best in Utrecht is the Cafe België (Oude Gracht 196). Not that I'm obsessed or anything... :blush: I'm still looking for a favourite haunt in Leiden.

I've given up the weed, so I can't vouch for coffee shops.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
make sure you negoiate with the ladies of the night properly! Also goto the banana bar its the best one - alot of the other sex shows get very boring very quickly.

Dont talk to any of the black drug dealers just ignore them and walk on.

Amsterdam Arena is nice [went to see the england game there] get the metro/underground system its cheap and only 15-20minutes.

Also get the train from the airport works out about £2.50 and drops you fairly central.

We stayed in the Hotel Manofa, 5min walk from Red light district, think we paid about £75 a night for a twin bedroom. Its not exactly luxary but its liveable.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If you're going when it's not too cold, a canal trip can be mellow. There's the Rijksmuseum, the Liedseplein where you can see a superb keepy-uppy bloke (he climbs trees and lamposts while doing keepy-uppies), the Tulip market.

I've even got a couple of retro Ajax and Nederlands shirts if you want to blend in. ;)

However, as you rightly point out - DO NOT miss Anne Frank Huis. Very moving, but not depressing.

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Dont avoid the cake with 'green herbs' in it.

Can knock you sideways....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here